Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-06-2015, 04:46 PM

6,351 posts, read 9,978,608 times

Advertisements

[quote=residinghere2007;37904547]I don't get why so many posters are saying these people are thugs or radicals. The OP source link - Yahoo News even said that it was a peaceful protest. No one was hurt.

Even though I do think it is weird and not really affective, I applaud the young people for taking a stand and doing something other than complaining online about issues that they are passionate about. What they are doing is called "civil disobedience."
[quote]

"Civil disobedience" involves confronting a target peacefully. Now, what the hell did these restaurants do to deserve this "civil disobedience"? NOTHING. Why not form a human chain in front of a police station? Why not protest in front of the police unions that have protected cops no matter how crooked they are? But these people minding their own business eating lunch had nothing to do with it.

Quote:
They don't seem like thugs or radicals, just Americans using their rights to make a protest.
They have the right to protest, but outside, NOT in a private business. And they are acting like thugs and radicals.

Quote:
And honestly what they did worked - it brought attention to their cause, which is proved true by the this very thread and the fact that it got a lot of tweets on Twitter.

What if the NRA protested inside a school lunch room, disrupting things in an act of "civil disobedience" saying "the no guns allowed sign isn't working! Arm teachers!" Would it get the media's attention? Yes. Would you be saying it is there right? No. IF these people started staging protests that involved throwing pies in people's faces, it would also get attention. But guess what? THERE IS A DIFFERENCE BETWEEN POSITIVE AND NEGATIVE ATTENTION!

And again I ask: why not do this kind of protest at a biker bar frequented by the Hell's Angels? I think they may be a bit more likely to be racist than some urban liberals enjoying organically grown tapioca pancakes.

Old 01-06-2015, 04:50 PM

6,351 posts, read 9,978,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by residinghere2007 View Post
The only thing that could be seen as somewhat race focused was the comment that they focused on "white spaces." Contrary to what you may believe (even though I'm sure you have experienced this) there are many segregated places in our country whereas certain neighborhoods are majority white or black and therefore going to a restaurant in one of those predominately white neighborhoods would constitute going to a "white space." There is nothing racist about that.

And if a protest against the black murder of a white person were to take place in a "black space," like Kennedy Fried Chicken (New York/New Jersey residents know what that is) the bodega or Sheneneh's hair salon, would be as charitable?

And I eat brunch at mostly white restaurants (Seattle is a mostly white city) and I have never been the subject of any racial hatred and in fact, I feel more comfortable sitting in a nice restaurant than I do walking through most black ghettos, as most would admit if they were just honest.

Old 01-06-2015, 05:53 PM

1,442 posts, read 2,564,324 times
The important issue of police tactics, intimidation, and occasionally abuse, by a few cops now and then, but still an issue, is being hijacked by the Revolutionary Communist Party, the NBPP, Charlatan Sharpton and various other whacko/commie/anarchist/racist outfits. As a reult, this movement will, and is already, losing touch with mainstream American citizens. They have hijacked the so=called movement, and soon it will die due to these associations.

Old 01-06-2015, 07:11 PM

20,050 posts, read 20,855,965 times
It's the war on white brunch.

Old 01-06-2015, 07:22 PM

3,027 posts, read 2,520,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crossfire600 View Post
So if eating brunch is white space then when these protestors have a bottle of ripple and smoke a crack pipe mid-morning is that called black space? Your right and I've said it from the beginning these morons make the African American community look bad and folks are running out of patience with them.
^^^^^yeah, there's no racism on POC these protesters make the black community look bad to whom? people like you? why should we care what people like you think if you aren't smart enough to know that black people are individuals?

Old 01-06-2015, 07:24 PM

152 posts, read 142,660 times
Don't these people have jobs and children to raise?

Old 01-06-2015, 07:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hadoken View Post
So, any actual evidence that the protestors were racist or "terrorist"?

All I see is folks peacefully protesting.

ETA; I'll say it over and over. The Ferguson police responded to people mourning Michael Brown's death with overwhelming violence. The actual story here is of a police riot, that went on for weeks. And even if the shooting of Michael Brown was "justified"( and most conservatives always seem to think this way when a black guy gets killed), having cops openly attacking protestors, mourners, and news reporters was absolutely not. And I actually find it ridiculous that so many conservatives are for the cops in situations like this. They're mostly hypocrits, plain and simple.

Nope. The game changed. You're simply against black people, and we get it. The thing you guys don't get is, this game is not actually a game. And we're not here to listen to Bill O'Reilly state that NBA players to wear "don't have a kid at 14!" shirts, or Geraldo Rivera blathering nonsense about Trayvon Martin wearing a hoodie made George Zimmerman flip out. We know that this is about skin color, because it's obvious.

Again, the idea that democrats are the " real racists" is dead. Destroyed, by the actions of the typical republican. Get used to it.

Again, just be honest.
exactly. what the zimmerman case meant to his supporters is that you can shoot an unarmed "threatening" black man/teen without question. few will admit it. i was on fb earlier and on a think progress post you should have seen the trolls come out of the woodwork whining about the possible investigation of Bob Mcculloch. the favorite phrase was "get over it." what does that mean? if there was possible wrong doing, why shouldn't it be investigated? are they afraid they might lose some of that privilege they claim does not exist?

Old 01-06-2015, 07:46 PM

52,697 posts, read 34,555,075 times
Default r

Quote:
Originally Posted by Californian34 View Post
exactly. what the zimmerman case meant to his supporters is that you can shoot an unarmed "threatening" black man/teen without question. few will admit it. i was on fb earlier and on a think progress post you should have seen the trolls come out of the woodwork whining about the possible investigation of Bob Mcculloch. the favorite phrase was "get over it." what does that mean? if there was possible wrong doing, why shouldn't it be investigated? are they afraid they might lose some of that privilege they claim does not exist?
"threatening" = pounding your head into the sidewalk?..

'without question' - so there was no trial?
Well alrighty then.

Old 01-06-2015, 07:47 PM

963 posts, read 689,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Californian34 View Post
^^^^^yeah, there's no racism on POC these protesters make the black community look bad to whom? people like you? why should we care what people like you think if you aren't smart enough to know that black people are individuals?
"individuals" or lemmings? 95% voted for Obama in 2008. 93% voted for him in 2012. You're not as individual as you like to think.

Old 01-06-2015, 07:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Enough View Post
As has been stated over and over about the police but, that hasn't stopped many, Sharpton, Holder, Deblasio, etc. for castigating EVERY Police officer has it?

Did you post the same sentiment on each indecent?
but see 100% of police are accountable to the public paid with our tax dollars. they are public servants. so even one bad cop is one too many.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies