Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-07-2015, 04:54 PM

37,949 posts, read 17,878,633 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by greywar View Post
If the GOP would stick to simple common sense things like this, and the concealed carry reciprocity discussion earlier I might go back to voting for them. Alas....things like the dynamic scoring idiocy drive me crazy.
Until there is a larger turnover we the people will continue to get more of the same.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2015, 05:05 PM

2,950 posts, read 1,638,818 times
End amnesty

Lower taxes for everyone, not just for businesses and the wealthy.

Lesser government spending.

Respect the rights of states and districts that choose to legalize cannabis instead of going against the will of the voters and filing lawsuits.

Old 01-07-2015, 05:10 PM

34,279 posts, read 19,384,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jburress View Post
End amnesty
Agreed. Wouldnt mind seeing a end to H1-B programs as well.

Quote:
Lower taxes for everyone, not just for businesses and the wealthy.
Nope, we have debt to pay down. You dont do that by lowering your income.
Quote:
Lesser government spending.
The devil is in the details.
Quote:
Respect the rights of states and districts that choose to legalize cannabis instead of going against the will of the voters and filing lawsuits.
You mean like how they overrode DC's legalization?

Seriously, if a state wants this legal it should be, I agree

Old 01-07-2015, 05:14 PM

41,479 posts, read 59,811,485 times
Ask the heavily Republican Western Growers Association what they think of cutting the flow of Immigrants, legal and illegal, from Mexico to the US. Ask the heavily Republican Landscaping Companies in most US suburbs the same question. The Republican animosity seems to be directed against the illegal women and children that did not create their poverty but are blamed anyway.

The only part of Obamacare I support is preventing insurance companies from discriminating against people with existing conditions such as cancer. The rest is a simple giveaway to the unneeded private health insurance. We do not need the ACA but we do need a universal health care system that treats everyone regardless of their ability to pay.

So far, with their opening attack on Social Security Disability system, the Republicans are living down to my expectations. I expect they will attempt to starve our National Parks and Monuments out of existence so they can be sold to Disney.

PS: I think ending H1b immigration is a good idea and legalizing marijuana is even better.

Last edited by GregW; 01-07-2015 at 05:46 PM..

Old 01-07-2015, 05:48 PM

30,075 posts, read 18,678,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wutitiz View Post
The first thing I'd like to see is for them to map out a game plan leading up to the upcoming Supreme Court decision on Obamacare (King v Burwell), coming in June 2015. This is a case where the admin is being challenged for ignoring the clear language of the law, which says that health care subsidies must be routed through state-established exchanges. Since most states have not created an exchange, the admin has allowed subsidies to be routed through the federal exchange, in blatant violation of the law.

If the court rules against the admin, Obamacare will be thrown into chaos. This gives Congress terrific leverage in negotiating some legislative changes to the law. It also could shut up some of the yowling lefty detractors, who charge that Republicans have no agenda except to oppose Obama. Here the Republicans could claim credit for taking the initiative to responsibly deal with the mess that was created by Dems w/ Obamacare. We can completely repeal in 2017, but until then perhaps we can shoot for some harm reduction.

Some other ideas...I'd like to see some action on school choice. While I don't like the idea of a federal Department of Education, as long as it is there, we should make use of it. I'd like to see some action on concealed-carry reciprocity. If my driver's license is good in all 50 states, so should be my gun license.

I have a few other ideas, but let's hear yours!
Splendid- As a liberal, you are not familiar with common sense, so buckle up- this may be a rough ride. Libs will dismiss any rational and effective solutions, as a matter of course. Therefore, these EFFECTIVE and COMMON SENSE suggestions may be traumatic for the average liberal.

1. reduce corporate income tax to 10%- business will seek out the lowest cost production with the most skilled workers. Lower the cost of business and increase jobs.

2. Allow energy contacts on federal lands
a. more jobs in the energy sector
b. lower cost of energy means more jobs

3. Enforce immigration laws
a. infusing low cost, uneducated immigrants reduces wage rates in the US
b. illegal immigrants cost the US $400 BILLION in costs
c. recruiting those with no english language skills or job skills reduces the competitiveness of any nation.

4. Eliminate class action law suits- they only benefit the trial lawyer's association and increase the cost of business in the US.

5. Eliminate/renegotiate NAFTA and China trade status. Both have exported US jobs, reduced US manufactuing, and increased trade deficits. Both are policies of the Clinton administration which were the result of campaign donations to the Clintons from Mexico and China.

Bill Clinton sold out the US middle class and US manufacturing industry for campaign donations. Clinton power was traded for the life blood of the middle class.

Kill the Clintons and stop these damaging trade policies.

6. Muzzle the EPA. The EPA, in the 1970s, cleaned up the environment. Now, the EPA is the 4th branch of the government which is unregulated and creates "laws" which hamper the US economy.

I am an environmentalist and fully support environmental issues. However, the EPA is out of control.

a. any new EPA regulations need to be passed through Congress, as they are, in fact, laws
b. review of any current EPA regulations via Congress.

7. Place 4 US military divisions on the US/Mexican border. No one will walk through an artillery practice range or areas in which ordnance is being placed through training.

8. Place administration of social security and medicare through the states. Revenues are collected through the states, shunted to the federal government (at increased expense) then sent back to the states again for implementation. Cut out the middle man.

9. Cut personal income taxes
a. 0% for those under 30,000 in annual income
b. 2% for those $30,000-$40,000
c. 4% for those $40,000- $60,000
d. 5% for those $40,000- $100K
e. 10% $100K- $250K
f. 20% > $250K

10. 15% VAT- generates $1.3 trillion and EVERY citizen contributes.

11. Balanced budget amendment.
a. retire t-bills with debt free notes
b. simply "balancing the budget" with our federal reserve program will contract currency and create a depression.
c. return the power of currency away from the federal reserve to congress

12. Free tuition/support for those students COMPLETING degrees in engineering or computer science.

Old 01-07-2015, 05:54 PM

78,863 posts, read 46,654,236 times
Quote:
The first thing I'd like to see is for them to map out a game plan leading up to the upcoming Supreme Court decision on Obamacare (King v Burwell), coming in June 2015. This is a case where the admin is being challenged for ignoring the clear language of the law, which says that health care subsidies must be routed through state-established exchanges. Since most states have not created an exchange, the admin has allowed subsidies to be routed through the federal exchange, in blatant violation of the law.

If the court rules against the admin, Obamacare will be thrown into chaos. This gives Congress terrific leverage in negotiating some legislative changes to the law. It also could shut up some of the yowling lefty detractors, who charge that Republicans have no agenda except to oppose Obama. Here the Republicans could claim credit for taking the initiative to responsibly deal with the mess that was created by Dems w/ Obamacare. We can completely repeal in 2017, but until then perhaps we can shoot for some harm reduction.

Some other ideas...I'd like to see some action on school choice. While I don't like the idea of a federal Department of Education, as long as it is there, we should make use of it. I'd like to see some action on concealed-carry reciprocity. If my driver's license is good in all 50 states, so should be my gun license.

I have a few other ideas, but let's hear yours!

What I watched on C-Span today was a sign of good things to come and a lot of bills hitting Obamas desk.
Obama may have to work late and cancel the 18 holes this weekend.

Old 01-07-2015, 06:10 PM

57,317 posts, read 26,236,916 times
Quote:
Can you not read?
I stand corrected you did mention defunding Obama Care and school choice but it seemed that concealed carry was the hot topic.

You never responded to the 2nd post, what happens when Obama Care is defeated?

Old 01-07-2015, 06:22 PM

59,111 posts, read 27,349,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by swagger View Post
No!

No! No! No!!!

While it would be very convenient, DO NOT TRADE YOUR RIGHTS FOR CONVENIENCE!

A national concealed carry law of any kind would be handing control of your right to carry to the federal government. Do you really want to do that? Right now, it may be difficult to carry in, for instance, California, but if you don't like their rules, you have 49 other states and a few territories and possessions that you can move to and still be living in the United States.

Once you give control of that right to the feds, it can be removed - nationally - with the stroke of a pen. Recovery of that right would almost certainly require a Supreme Court case and many years of litigation. Even after all of that, a new administration could come in and change the rules to be very unfriendly, without running afoul of the law or any SCOTUS decisions.

Look at it this way. How many things has the U.S. federal government stuck their hands into that didn't get screwed up or have lots of unintended consequences? Do you really want them to have control over your CCW? I sure don't.

I say leave it to the states, as it is now, and continue to pressure them to form agreements with more states and to loosen their reciprocity requirements. We really need to start thinking in terms of taking power AWAY from the federal government, instead of cheerfully giving them more.

ETA: Also, any such law would almost certainly come with a federal CCW database...
Gee whiz. Calm down an read what was ACTUALLY written and NOT what you THINK was suggested.

" I'd like to see some action on concealed-carry reciprocity."

The OP in NO WAY suggested a national concealed carry permit type law.

What SHOULD be done is for the fed to demand that ALL states ACCEPT OTHER states CCP just as they do driver's licenses.

There is an ongoing case where a traveler who HAS A CCP was passing through NJ, I believe, and when stopped for a minor traffic violation, she VOLUNTARILY told the police officer that she had a CCP and a gun in the car and is facing serious charges.

As travelers we shouldn't have to worry about states that DON'T accept CCP's fro other states.

Old 01-07-2015, 06:25 PM

4,583 posts, read 3,410,946 times
I would like to see, as a way to curb rampant regulation, legislation that requires a jury trial for any regulatory penalty over$15000 assessed upon a private individual (or married),with the agency required to pay all legal fees if they loose.

I would like to see Jury Nullification restored to the Federal jury instructions, like it was up until the 1880's.

I would like to see the intrinsic value of a human life greatly increased for the purposes of calculating cost/benefit analysis for federal project environmental clearances.

Old 01-07-2015, 06:32 PM

41,479 posts, read 59,811,485 times
hawk2009 -

Many ideas this liberal agrees with. We still differ on a few details.

FWIW - The Concealed Carry Permits should be accepted by all states, cities, and the Federal government even if the issuing jurisdictions have different standards. These licenses should be a valid as any state issued drivers licenses. I trust citizens willing to apply for a CCP far more then a criminal that did not bother.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies