Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-13-2015, 06:13 PM

23,466 posts, read 44,100,317 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mega man View Post
According to Cochran, he only distributed his book to colleagues he was close with. It was somehow intercepted by another employee who filed a complaint. I agree that it was not a smart idea, but I disagree that it was based in hate, bigotry or discrimination. So I think that his firing was absolutely uncalled for. It's clear that Mayor Reed was simply covering his own ass, and I guess you can't really blame him for that.

The idea that refusing the book might have jeopardized their job, now that is what I call crap. I would hope that no one is that petty.
Yeah, OK. I rather feel sorry for anyone that can't see how wrongheaded the whole affair was.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2015, 06:15 PM

13,163 posts, read 1,698,118 times
I see some bigots calling others "bigot". Funny, how that happens and they are unaware, and all because objective thinking is turned off and dislike of another's beliefs and opinions takes over.

See below:

Quote:
"Bigot" is being thrown around far too recklessly in this thread. It is defined as "a person who is obstinately or intolerantly devoted to his or her own opinions and prejudices; especially one who regards or treats the members of a group (as a racial or ethnic group) with hatred and intolerance". That does not refer to people who disagree with homosexual activity anymore than it refers to people who are intolerant of those who disagree with it.

It's possible to be bigoted against gays but it's also possible to be bigoted against Christians, conservatives, etc. People are conveniently overlooking that fact.
The LGBT community is a "protected" group and, much like the "offenses" that occur when people say anything about "The Prophet" that is considered negative, the speaker is to be silenced and freedom of speech suffers.

When the homosexual community demands that I accept their view of homosexuality and their lifestyle (yes, there are lifestyles -- even gays talk about that), then that demand infringes on my freedom of religion by requiring that I compromise my beliefs.

Not that anyone will hear (understand), but it bears repeating: disagreeing with homosexuality does not mean there is hatred of the homosexual. What is so hard to grasp about that.

IF the Chief had handed out any other book would he still be fired? I'm no lawyer, but I think he's got a case.

Old 01-13-2015, 06:18 PM

5,287 posts, read 5,791,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LovinDecatur View Post
Yeah, OK. I rather feel sorry for anyone that can't see how wrongheaded the whole affair was.
Who and what was "wrong" is what we disagree on.

Old 01-13-2015, 06:19 PM

4,983 posts, read 3,291,808 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark Park View Post
Uh oh ..............

Sex outside marriage .... does that include masturbation ?!?!?!

Yikes ....... I'm in trouble!!!!
It's all a big joke......

Old 01-13-2015, 06:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by southward bound View Post
I see some bigots calling others "bigot". Funny, how that happens and they are unaware, and all because objective thinking is turned off and dislike of another's beliefs and opinions takes over.

See below:

The LGBT community is a "protected" group and, much like the "offenses" that occur when people say anything about "The Prophet" that is considered negative, the speaker is to be silenced and freedom of speech suffers.

When the homosexual community demands that I accept their view of homosexuality and their lifestyle (yes, there are lifestyles -- even gays talk about that), then that demand infringes on my freedom of religion by requiring that I compromise my beliefs.

Not that anyone will hear (understand), but it bears repeating: disagreeing with homosexuality does not mean there is hatred of the homosexual. What is so hard to grasp about that.

IF the Chief had handed out any other book would he still be fired? I'm no lawyer, but I think he's got a case.
NO ONE has the right to impose their viewpoint on anyone else, particularly when they are are in a position of power over the other individual. He has no case. He's simply a bigot that saw an opportunity to build a bully pulpit. As a civilization, we've put up with it for centuries.

Old 01-13-2015, 06:40 PM

19,846 posts, read 12,106,658 times
Quote:
No, not at all, but his position was hardly hostile and he certainly was not targeting homosexuality. You should read the excerpts from his book.

All black men in Atlanta aren't gay. A lot of them are, but not all
I remember visiting Atlanta just before we moved up there. We drove by a bar and it was packed with men and I told my friend how great Atlanta was that there were so many men there. I quickly learned why.

Old 01-13-2015, 06:54 PM

4,983 posts, read 3,291,808 times
Quote:
NO ONE has the right to impose their viewpoint on anyone else, particularly when they are are in a position of power over the other individual. He has no case. He's simply a bigot that saw an opportunity to build a bully pulpit. As a civilization, we've put up with it for centuries.
On the contrary it seems you and the mayor have imposed your viewpoint on this man by removing his livelihood. Aren't you the righteous ones.

Old 01-13-2015, 08:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ih2puo View Post
On the contrary it seems you and the mayor have imposed your viewpoint on this man by removing his livelihood. Aren't you the righteous ones.
This isn't about righteousness. Its about civil rights and their protection, particularly in the workplace. The Constitution protects two things with regard to free speech: your continued freedom and preservation of your property. Nothing more.
This has nothing to do with his religious beliefs. He simply crossed the line when he imposed these beliefs upon people over whom he wielded power. If you can't see past that simple fact it doesn't surprise me that you buy into that mess that he spews in the first place.

Old 01-14-2015, 10:55 AM

13,163 posts, read 1,698,118 times
Quote:
This isn't about righteousness. Its about civil rights and their protection, particularly in the workplace. The Constitution protects two things with regard to free speech: your continued freedom and preservation of your property. Nothing more.
This has nothing to do with his religious beliefs. He simply crossed the line when he imposed these beliefs upon people over whom he wielded power. If you can't see past that simple fact it doesn't surprise me that you buy into that mess that he spews in the first place.
He didn't impose anything on anyone. I'm surprised that people can't see past that simple fact.

We cannot have a society that is governed at every turn by fear of what someone else might take offense at.

Old 01-14-2015, 11:06 AM
Status: "everybody getting reported now.." (set 24 days ago)

29,560 posts, read 16,548,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southward bound View Post
He didn't impose anything on anyone. I'm surprised that people can't see past that simple fact.

We cannot have a society that is governed at every turn by fear of what someone else might take offense at.
this wasnt about taking offense at anything.

First off, he broke his contract by publishing a book without running it by the city first. Like that rule or not, its there and he chose to follow it when he was hired.

Second, in that book he stated that the citizens of the city he is charge with protecting are not equal, and that those he deemed "perverted" were inferior and incapable of being employed by him or the City of Atlanta.

That would mean his hiring practices violated the civil rights of those who applied for a position beneath him or who were up for a promotion.

so yes, it was about religion, his beliefs made him believe it was ok to discriminate. It is not.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies