Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-08-2015, 08:23 AM

24,260 posts, read 14,211,524 times

Advertisements

Seems like after a little more reading, the ex fire chief handed out his book to some of the staff. Now had he kept his book out of work that might be one thing, but handing it out to employees is another.

Quote:
Cochran said it was not his intent to be “hurtful to anyone” when expressing his religious views in his book, which he acknowledged passing out to some members of the fire department.
Reed: Atlanta fire chief terminated following book controversy | www.ajc.com

Quote:
Wan's statement said Cochran's suspension came after some of Cochran's employees complained about internal distribution of his self-published book. Reed would not discuss details of the investigation.
Fire chief fired after gay comments in book
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2015, 08:24 AM

1,167 posts, read 2,170,705 times
Isn't a fire chief pretty much a public position? Yea, you make disparaging, discriminatory remarks about certain members of the public, maybe you shouldn't be in a public position.

Old 01-08-2015, 08:25 AM

11,186 posts, read 6,508,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RecentlyMoved View Post
I don't care if his opinion is shared by all the people in his area. When you're on the job or have a leadership role, you can't go around saying offensive things.

My initial post on this thread said that this guy is clearly not capable of critical thinking. Anyone with even a little intelligence knows you can't go around saying whatever you like and not expect some backlash. It's just not a very enlightened thing to do.
The chief is supposed to run the fire department, not pass an enlightenment test given by you or the mayor. In all his years in fire & rescue in Atlanta and elsewhere he was good enough at 'critical thinking' to be appointed to many leadership positions. Now he's suddenly an unenlightened nincompoop.

Sue, Chief, Sue

Old 01-08-2015, 08:26 AM

5,287 posts, read 5,791,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
He wasn't fired for his political OR his religious beliefs.

Stop with the persecution complex.

He was fired for opprobrium directed at thousands of his constituents who just happen to pay his salary and fund his department.
Yes, for the service that he provides the community. Let's not act like money is being thrown at him for no reason.

Honestly, I believe it's due to a serious lack of maturity on the part of the people who decide to be all up in arms over what he said. Personally, I could care less if someone disagrees with my lifestyle. But if my house is on fire, will he do his damnedest to make sure that it gets put out and everyone inside the home is safe? That's all that should matter, in my opinion.

Ask yourself this, do you think he would have likely been fired for simply saying fornication itself is a sin? Would such a statement not be opprobrium directed at the majority of citizens?

I think what no one wants to admit is that the LGBT community is getting special treatment in these types of cases, and nowadays, if you happen to disagree with homosexual activity for your own personal reasons, your well being is in jeopardy.

Old 01-08-2015, 08:32 AM

6,961 posts, read 4,617,033 times
He can be a bigoted as he wishes as a private citizen. The Mayor did the right thing.

Old 01-08-2015, 08:32 AM

12,287 posts, read 9,824,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RecentlyMoved View Post
Quoting the bible is the opposite of critical thinking.
The majority of Americans don't agree with you.

Old 01-08-2015, 08:34 AM

52,431 posts, read 26,636,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mega man View Post
Ask yourself this, do you think he would have likely been fired for simply saying fornication itself is a sin? Would such a statement not be opprobrium directed at the majority of citizens?
I will give a more realistic example that does pertain to Atlanta. Suppose he had said something to the effect the African American community has become a sinful moral cesspool of crime, bastard babies, sloth, etc etc etcand he believes this based on his religious beliefs.

They would have tossed him through the wall instead of the door. Anyone not acknowledging this dichotomy is a hypocrite.

-----------------

Old 01-08-2015, 08:37 AM

2,253 posts, read 2,521,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzarama View Post
The chief is supposed to run the fire department, not pass an enlightenment test given by you or the mayor. In all his years in fire & rescue in Atlanta and elsewhere he was good enough at 'critical thinking' to be appointed to many leadership positions. Now he's suddenly an unenlightened nincompoop.

Sue, Chief, Sue
Pepole in leadership roles are free to say what they want, and their employers are free to fire them for it - if it crosses a line.

What's he going to sue for? They infringed on his rights to be a bigot? aww

Old 01-08-2015, 08:38 AM

2,253 posts, read 2,521,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shooting4life View Post
The majority of Americans don't agree with you.
I really don't think you speak for the majority of Americans. Quoting from the bible is not critical thinking. It's not a matter of opinion.

Critical thinking - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Critical thinking | Define Critical thinking at Dictionary.com

Old 01-08-2015, 08:40 AM

14,292 posts, read 9,680,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katzpaw View Post
The ex Fire Chief say its religious persecution but the mayor says it's a question off judgement.

"This is about judgment. This is not about religious freedom... This is not about free speech. Judgment is the basis of the problem... I profoundly disagree with and am deeply disturbed by the sentiments expressed in the paperback regarding the LGBT community... I will not tolerate discrimination of any kind within my administration.”" - Mayor Reed

The Fire Chief wrote a Christian book with the quotes below, and some citizens complained to the city council.

“Uncleanness – whatever is opposite of purity; including sodomy, homosexuality, lesbianism, pederasty, bestiality, all other forms of sexual perversion.”

“Naked men refuse to give in, so they pursue sexual fulfillment through multiple partners, with the opposite sex, the same sex, and sex outside of marriage and many other vile, vulgar and inappropriate ways which defile their body – temple and dishonor God.”

Atlanta Fire Chief: I was fired because of my Christian faith | Fox News
...and this Christian book he wrote affects his ability to put out fires how?

You know, the bible says pretty much the same thing. All this guy did was write a book which essentially paraphrases the bible. The mayor should also publicly condemn whoever wrote the bible while he's at it

BTW, the Fire Chief was also disrespectful to men who like to sleep around with different women; but then players and adulterers are not a protected class.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies