Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Would you support a free two year education for only students that graduate?
yes 36 33.03%
no 63 57.80%
Tom Brady is getting another ring this year 10 9.17%
Voters: 109. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-09-2015, 11:21 AM

13,806 posts, read 9,719,352 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by steven_h View Post
The problem with your numbers is that poverty has been rising for the last decade. Poverty was already in decline before Johnson's Great Society, and in typical fashion took full credit for something that was already happening.

With the President, the AG, and most heads of agencies being African Americans now... why has black unemployment remained in the double digits, and well above the national average?

If you want something to be inefficient and full of corruption, let the government control it.
Why is that a problem.....yes poverty has been rising for the last decade but so has reduction in welfare, Affirmative Action and other programs. If such programs were so bad...then reducing them should have reduced the rate or poverty.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2015, 11:21 AM

5,094 posts, read 5,179,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mason3000 View Post
I'm not a huge fan of Government programs as they tend to be bureaucratic and wasteful, but I just don't see how this is much of a change? The only people that this effects are the Middle and Upper Middle Class who can now cash in as well. The Poor and Lower Middle Class already receive Pell Grants which already pay for books and tuition in it's entirety at a Community College, so what's the difference?

About $34billion to the national debt to start.

Old 01-09-2015, 11:22 AM

19,784 posts, read 15,127,629 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
No details yet. But good news..free 2 year college education for all.
Just need to keep "moderate grades" is all he's asking.

Hoo Ya..I'm going back to college
FYI..I love taking classes and would go to the local CC for a 2 year degree..maybe business, maybe accounting.

It's not limited to teens either. Obama said ALL. I wonder if that includes the illegals.

Obama proposes free community college program
The White House on Thursday announced a proposal that President Barack Obama said would make community college "free for everybody who is willing to work for it." But administration officials provided no details about the program's costs or where the money would come to pay for it.

"It's not just for kids," Obama said. "We also have to make sure that everybody has the opportunity to constantly train themselves for better jobs, better wages, better benefits."
Obama planned to formally announce the plan Friday at Pellissippi State Community College in Knoxville, Tennessee. He gave a preview in a videotaped message shot aboard Air Force One and posted on Facebook.
Isn;t community service a prerequisite on this? Not just grades, the kids need to earn it.

Old 01-09-2015, 11:23 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,557,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carterstamp View Post
Isn;t community service a prerequisite on this? Not just grades, the kids need to earn it.
Via attendance and moderate grades.
Don't know how they will monitor attendance because colleges don't.

No community service required and not limited to HS graduates.

Old 01-09-2015, 11:30 AM

7,713 posts, read 4,754,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spaten_Drinker View Post
About $34billion to the national debt to start.
What do Pell Grants currently cost us? Won't this (at least theoretically) just shift funding from Pell Grants to this program and end up being a wash?

Old 01-09-2015, 11:40 AM

7,713 posts, read 4,754,345 times
Again, I'm not a fan of big Government, or Obama, but I don't see how this is a major shift from the current system other than it makes Obama appear altruistic? Furthermore, I'm in favor of drastically reducing Government and Government programs, but don't see education as a place to do so. Cut the IRS, DOD, EPA, Dept of Energy, etc. drastically and then look to reform Education and programs like Pell Grants last, not first.

Old 01-09-2015, 11:51 AM

78,502 posts, read 60,702,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mason3000 View Post
What do Pell Grants currently cost us? Won't this (at least theoretically) just shift funding from Pell Grants to this program and end up being a wash?
Depends where they put the qualifying hurdle.

If it's the same then why make the change.

Also, the Pell grant program is used across all higher learning so why create a whole other govt. process that you have to pay to administer and maintain if Pell is already encompassing it?

That would make about as much sense as having social security administration separated into people under 75 and people over 75.

Old 01-09-2015, 11:58 AM

11,974 posts, read 25,497,727 times
There's already a lot of aid for low income people to go to community college. Here in KY anyone with any mild learning problem (dyslexia, mild autism, etc) gets $1500 a semester and $300 worth of books paid in full. But not everyone knows about those programs. In general I prefer spending money on education rather than hundreds of unneeded military bases.

But...

I like the idea of education but I worry the job market is getting so saturated with 2 / 4 year graduates that you know need a degree to do low level jobs that make the loan debt to obtain the degree a bad economic deal. 30 years ago a bachelor's degree was gold, now lots of grads work minimum wage jobs.

My job requires at least a 2 year degree but I could do my job at age 13 with a little training. I use almost nothing I learned in college to do my job. So what's the point? The millennial doing the best economically in my family are the ones who skipped school and did a trade. Us with degrees make as much as they do but have lots of loan debt.

How about getting employers to stop demanding bogus education? The degree demands is causing the birth rates to go almost to zero and most people can't afford basic things (house, etc) until their late 30s now because of the bogus degree requirement

Old 01-09-2015, 12:02 PM

3,639 posts, read 3,345,421 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by censusdata View Post
There's already a lot of aid for low income people to go to community college. Here in KY anyone with any mild learning problem (dyslexia, mild autism, etc) gets $1500 a semester and $300 worth of books paid in full. But not everyone knows about those programs. In general I prefer spending money on education rather than hundreds of unneeded military bases.

But...

I like the idea of education but I worry the job market is getting so saturated with 2 / 4 year graduates that you know need a degree to do low level jobs that make the loan debt to obtain the degree a bad economic deal. 30 years ago a bachelor's degree was gold, now lots of grads work minimum wage jobs.

My job requires at least a 2 year degree but I could do my job at age 13 with a little training. I use almost nothing I learned in college to do my job. So what's the point? The millennial doing the best economically in my family are the ones who skipped school and did a trade. Us with degrees make as much as they do but have lots of loan debt.

How about getting employers to stop demanding bogus education? The degree demands is causing the birth rates to go almost to zero and most people can't afford basic things (house, etc) until their late 30s now because of the bogus degree requirement
I agree employers artificially inflate education requirements for jobs that do not require much thought and it's causing some serious issues. I really don't know how we'd fix this though... Employers can require whatever they want to require unfortunately.

The other point here I'd like to mention is that I fall into a category of people that make too much money for subsidies, but not enough to pay for school on my own without the assistance of loans that will take years for me to pay off. My last student loan I JUST paid off and it took me 9 years! My parents combined made far too much for me to get anything out of subsidies, but they did not or could not help me pay for schooling. Being under 25, my parents money was the only thing that counted at the time.

I know I'm not the only one that falls under the "I'm poor, but not poor enough for assistance" category.

Old 01-09-2015, 12:07 PM

24,488 posts, read 41,167,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spaten_Drinker View Post
You mean the George Bush with degrees from both Yale and Harvard??? You must be referring to John Kerry whose grades were LOWER.
Apparently your reading comprehension is failing. Obviously I was referring to Bush's no child Left behind...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies