Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-12-2015, 11:21 PM

12,287 posts, read 9,831,436 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by natalie469 View Post
No it wouldn't. Religion has always caused wars.
Religion was the pretext for war. Without religion the pretext would change and people would still be killing other people. most of the wars of the 20th century had nothing to do with religion.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2015, 11:28 PM

32,091 posts, read 15,089,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shooting4life View Post
Religion was the pretext for war. Without religion the pretext would change and people would still be killing other people. most of the wars of the 20th century had nothing to do with religion.

But they have to do with religion now, don't they.

Old 01-12-2015, 11:31 PM

12,287 posts, read 9,831,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by natalie469 View Post
[/b]

But they have to do with religion now, don't they.
So the relatively tiny war in afiganistan (which is not a religious war on our side) proves your point compared to ww1, ww2, Korea, Vietnam, gulf war.

Old 01-13-2015, 02:25 AM

7,975 posts, read 7,359,124 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by finalmove View Post
The Left is the author of multiculturalism. Any deviation from this mission would hurt their goal of dissolving the American culture. This includes putting up with an alien religion here to help with the destruction of the West.
What the Left ignores is that their tolerance for such a religion is suicide. Islamist's hate everything the Left espouses.
I could wish they would wake-up before it's too late, but it's more fun to watch them self-destruct.

This is true...and they target those bleeding heart, accommodating, accepting societies (like the U.S.) that reach out with "understanding" to diversity and multiculturalism, so they can eventually WEAKEN us and KILL US FROM WITHIN. They are using the liberal mindset as a weapon to destroy us. And the liberals are deaf, dumb, and blind.

Old 01-13-2015, 02:29 AM

27,162 posts, read 15,341,945 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cuebald View Post
Islam is a religion, just like Christianity. All Muslims are not extremists any more than all Christians are.

Saying that all Muslims should be considered evil because of 9/11 ans Al Quaeda is like saying all Christians are evil because Timothy McVeigh, Terry Nichols, and Adolph Hitler were Christians.

Liberals are not particularly for or against either group. We recognize that fundamentalists from any religion are interchangeable and that all of them are dangerous, especially when they attract followers who are as nutty as they are. We support justice and human rights for all people regardless of their belief systems. Personally I don't subscribe to any of them. Religion is just another wedge used to separate people.

Time has shown otherwise.

Old 01-13-2015, 03:56 AM

25,386 posts, read 35,563,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by War Beagle View Post
A few prefaces: first of all, I understand that not everyone on the left is sympathetic towards Islam. Second, this thread isn't an attempt to troll; it is an honest question I have wondered for years. Third, this thread is not intended to be a place to debate the merits of various religions. My purpose is to solicit the opinion of people self-identified to the left of center as to how and why they have developed their positions regarding Islam.

Why is it that the political left is often so sympathetic to Islam? From the research I have done about Islam (several college courses including three semesters of Arabic, numerous books, documentaries and being a news junky) the political left and Islam have virtually nothing in common. In fact, many of the tenets of Islam are diametrically opposed to the values held by the left (homosexuality, women's rights, pacifism vs. violence, the role of religion in government, etc.). When there is an issue in the news that pits Islam against Christianity or Judaism, the left sides with Islam the vast majority of the time.

The left has condemned the Paris tragedy, but these condemnations usually include qualifiers about how not all Muslims are bad (which we already know) or how not all terrorists are Muslims (even though the VAST majority of modern terrorists are Muslims). Instead of talking constructively about ways to reduce Islamic fanaticism, liberal media outlets seem to spend more time sympathizing with a group that perpetrates violence in response the the values the left holds most dear.

All insight is appreciated. As someone that is not left-wing, this is something that completely baffles me.
The enemy of my enemy is my friend. They are against Christians and Jews. So is islam.

As much as they see Christianity squelching their rights Islam would really take away their rights. Their damnation of Christianity and support of Islam seem backwards.

Old 01-13-2015, 04:07 AM

3,830 posts, read 4,667,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shooting4life View Post
We could have given back all the taken property in Europe, we could do that now. Every country in Europe should confiscate 10% of the homes (roughly the percentage of jews in Europe pre ww2) and offer it to the jews to leave Israel.

When you lose a war, you lose territory.
So... how many wars did the Palestinians lose?

Old 01-13-2015, 04:09 AM

38,647 posts, read 26,405,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by War Beagle View Post
A few prefaces: first of all, I understand that not everyone on the left is sympathetic towards Islam. Second, this thread isn't an attempt to troll; it is an honest question I have wondered for years. Third, this thread is not intended to be a place to debate the merits of various religions. My purpose is to solicit the opinion of people self-identified to the left of center as to how and why they have developed their positions regarding Islam.

Why is it that the political left is often so sympathetic to Islam? From the research I have done about Islam (several college courses including three semesters of Arabic, numerous books, documentaries and being a news junky) the political left and Islam have virtually nothing in common. In fact, many of the tenets of Islam are diametrically opposed to the values held by the left (homosexuality, women's rights, pacifism vs. violence, the role of religion in government, etc.). When there is an issue in the news that pits Islam against Christianity or Judaism, the left sides with Islam the vast majority of the time.

The left has condemned the Paris tragedy, but these condemnations usually include qualifiers about how not all Muslims are bad (which we already know) or how not all terrorists are Muslims (even though the VAST majority of modern terrorists are Muslims). Instead of talking constructively about ways to reduce Islamic fanaticism, liberal media outlets seem to spend more time sympathizing with a group that perpetrates violence in response the the values the left holds most dear.

All insight is appreciated. As someone that is not left-wing, this is something that completely baffles me.

Liberalism disappeared along with hippies when the welfare state came in, and while true liberalism required the state to be accountable to the people, statism, what passes for liberalism today, cannot exist where such an accountability requirement is enforced.

The modern welfare state exists because the Democratic Party found a way to throw off the burden of accountability to the voters by divorcing itself of white males (the one group that has the highest percentage of net tax payers).

The Tea Party movement was born out of the frustration of tax payers who not so coincidentally happened to be largely white males and, in almost every case, net tax payers.

Believe me, if tomorrow black women paid most of the taxes in America, Oprah would be viscously attacked by Democrats the way the Koch brother are today.

With net tax payers out voted by the recipients, Democrats were then free to grow government to their liking provided they maintained a slim margin of mooches.

Immigrants of all shapes and sizes tend to fit the non-white male category of Democratic voters even if they are white or male since they nevertheless tend to be net recipients of government goodies.

Democrats, and Republican to a slightly lesser extent, are fully committed to maintaining their position of power and remaining unaccountable to tax payers by looting the treasury for the benefit of anyone that will vote for them.

That Democrats show such seemingly misplaced tolerance of an ideology that is at odds with so many of their other professed values is no mystery if you understand that there is no real concern by Democrats for the downtrodden except where an opportunity exists to politically out maneuver those who would stop their raid on the national treasury.

Last edited by momonkey; 01-13-2015 at 04:19 AM..

Old 01-13-2015, 04:14 AM

38,647 posts, read 26,405,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cuebald View Post
Islam is a religion, just like Christianity. All Muslims are not extremists any more than all Christians are.

Saying that all Muslims should be considered evil because of 9/11 ans Al Quaeda is like saying all Christians are evil because Timothy McVeigh, Terry Nichols, and Adolph Hitler were Christians.

Liberals are not particularly for or against either group. We recognize that fundamentalists from any religion are interchangeable and that all of them are dangerous, especially when they attract followers who are as nutty as they are. We support justice and human rights for all people regardless of their belief systems. Personally I don't subscribe to any of them. Religion is just another wedge used to separate people.

Well, that`s the narrative, isn`t it?

Old 01-13-2015, 04:27 AM

1,216 posts, read 1,465,299 times
Because in this country very few people think for themselves or know how to do research. Instead they are blind fully loyal to their political affiliation-rabidly attacking ideas that are presented from the opposing political party.

In my experience positive changes cannot happen without thoughtful analysis of all opinions. Instead of approaching discussions with the ultimate mentality of "how can I make them admit how wrong they are" we need to learn to LISTEN and THINK.

In my opinion the best thing that couldvhappen would not be to do away with religion but to do away with all political affiliations. Then politicians would have to actually discuss stances on issues and people would have to choose candidates based on issues and not just the most popular person on their team.

When we are ready to discuss fundamental Muslims without identifying a political position we will be able to discuss solutions. Right now we still see it as a team event whereas stopping extremist would be akin to supporting Christianity.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies