Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-13-2015, 05:57 PM

46,001 posts, read 35,187,290 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank DeForrest View Post
Duly noted. Many of us don't need a guv guide book to get through our day.
One more time, they are called H-o-m-e I-n-s-p-e-c-t-o-r-s

Because if there were no building codes you wouldn't know to have a trained professional to check it out?
Without building codes, what regulations would inspectors be looking for? Home inspectors look for things to make sure they meet the current codes, without codes there would be no inspectors.

Old 01-13-2015, 05:58 PM

45,226 posts, read 26,450,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
Without building codes, what regulations would inspectors be looking for? Home inspectors look for things to make sure they meet the current codes, without codes there would be no inspectors.
I didn't say they would be looking for regulations.

Old 01-13-2015, 06:01 PM

Quote:
I didn't say they would be looking for regulations.
Then what would they look for? If there is no building codes, then how does one inspect something that might be poorly constructed and basically a death trap? Bedroom with no windows? Wiring in the wrong place? Frame not tied down properly to the foundation? Those are all called BUILDING CODES.

Old 01-13-2015, 06:06 PM

2,395 posts, read 3,013,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FallsAngel View Post
It depends on what you mean by "makes sense". Building codes exist because otherwise developers would built tenements and sell them as luxury condos.
Not really.

Here's a quote from introduction to the Boundary County Zoning Ordinance:

Quote:
It is the belief of the county that people who buy and build a here have the right to build the home that best suits them with minimal intrusion; if the roof caves in under the weight of the snow, they'll know better next time. Conversely, you may build a beautiful home that meets the most stringent building codes, but your next door neighbor may not. County government will not intercede on your behalf to make your neighbor live up to your standards.
Despite the hyperbole, they seem to be able to build satisfactory homes in Boundary County that do not in fact fall down in spite of their minimalist approach to building codes.

Dave

Old 01-13-2015, 06:07 PM

Quote:
Then what would they look for? If there is no building codes, then how does one inspect something that might be poorly constructed and basically a death trap? Bedroom with no windows? Wiring in the wrong place? Frame not tied down properly to the foundation? Those are all called BUILDING CODES.
yes correct, they wouldn't look for codes if there weren't any. Are you saying home buyers wouldn't desire safety or quality if there were no codes?
I know I would, and I would hire someone who knows my needs to inspect my purchase.

Old 01-13-2015, 06:08 PM

Quote:
yes correct, they wouldn't look for codes if there weren't any. Are you saying home buyers wouldn't desire safety or quality if there were no codes?
I know I would, and I would hire someone who knows my needs to inspect my purchase.
How would someplace be deemed safe to live in? What is the standard for safe? You can skate around this all you like, but you lost this one right out of the gate.

Last edited by urbanlife78; 01-13-2015 at 06:20 PM..

Old 01-13-2015, 06:10 PM

Quote:
How would someplace be deemed safe to live in? What is the standard for safe? You can skate around this all you like, but you lost this one right out of the gatw.
How does your government determine what is safe?

Old 01-13-2015, 06:14 PM

79,907 posts, read 44,210,872 times
Quote:
How does your government determine what is safe?
In our town the building inspector is someone that built homes. If there are any changes suggested they generally go by him.

Old 01-13-2015, 06:33 PM

63,919 posts, read 46,748,172 times
Quote:
Most inspectors project remaining useful life of roofs and mechanicals.

Building codes don't mandate mechanicals in working order, dry basements or a mold free Attic.

Some inspectors work broad areas and are not necessarily familiar with the nuance of all local building codes.

Old 01-13-2015, 06:39 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,779,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cnynrat View Post
Not really.

Here's a quote from introduction to the Boundary County Zoning Ordinance:

Despite the hyperbole, they seem to be able to build satisfactory homes in Boundary County that do not in fact fall down in spite of their minimalist approach to building codes.

Dave
Seriously? "if the roof caves in under the weight of the snow, they'll know better next time." I'd like to see a link! Is this a "prepper" county or something?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies