Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-14-2015, 07:52 PM

31,290 posts, read 20,744,889 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by knowledgeiskey View Post
So why do conservatives have a problem with it? I guess it's only free speech if you draw a cartoon mimicking the prophet Muhammad.
They don't. While I don't like burning our flag, it is and should be a legal act of free speech.

I guess your post is pure bunk.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2015, 08:02 PM

14,204 posts, read 12,284,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Enigma777 View Post
Satirizing an icon or figure is not in any way equal to destruction of a country's flag.

Flags are powerful symbols of countries. Burning any country's flag is indicative of a desire to destroy that country. I have no problem with people wearing flags as shirts, pants, etc. or decoration.

But burning is very symbolic of destruction or death, such as the Klan burning crosses, etc.
From the point of view of the person who believes it is.

Old 01-14-2015, 08:05 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,867,563 times
it like if you go out a start posting those pictures of Obama as a monkey; you might get your nose punched. Too many have fought for that flag to see some bum burn it.

Old 01-14-2015, 08:17 PM

31,290 posts, read 20,744,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texdav View Post
it like if you go out a start posting those pictures of Obama as a monkey; you might get your nose punched. Too many have fought for that flag to see some bum burn it.
Yes, but they fought for our freedom and the freedom to burn the flag. You and I may not like it but freedom includes freedom to burn the flag and freedom to mock whatever religion we choose to mock. Our soldiers did not fight for freedom to discuss the weather.

Old 01-14-2015, 08:30 PM

2,325 posts, read 2,652,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryever View Post
In France, we are a bit hypocritical about the liberty of expression ... You can say anything as long as it is not hate speech (racist, antisemitic etc). Diodonné for instance was fined several times for what he said on stage (making fun of the holocaust, denying the existence of gas chambers, basically hate speech against Jews)

So basically in France if you were to draw a gas chamber and write above "Did they really exist ?" you'd be fined big time and your drawing couldn't be published
There is often a debate on this issue but I think it is a good thing
Also there can't be a nazi party or party with racist ideas in France, that would be illegal. Good thing too in my book.
But one could argue that the line is sometimes hard to define ... Drawing Muhammed is not hate speech or racist but in other cases it can be hard to tell if one is just making fun or actually disguising hateful sentiments in something that can be interpreted as a joke
I think this is a really difficult distinction to make. Not being able to discuss Nazi Germany in a historical context for fear of being arrested in a bad thing. It shuts down the exchange of ideas and history, no matter how ugly, is something that needs to be discussed and questioned. Satire can be racist - cartoons of President Obama as a monkey for example. IMO, the line is crossed when speech promotes active discrimination and/or violence.

Old 01-14-2015, 09:06 PM

13,778 posts, read 9,664,501 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spikett View Post
I think this is a really difficult distinction to make. Not being able to discuss Nazi Germany in a historical context for fear of being arrested in a bad thing. It shuts down the exchange of ideas and history, no matter how ugly, is something that needs to be discussed and questioned. Satire can be racist - cartoons of President Obama as a monkey for example. IMO, the line is crossed when speech promotes active discrimination and/or violence.
To be fair, Nazi's have a very bad rep in France, still to this day. Probably be another 50 years before anybody laughs at Nazi jokes in France.

Old 01-14-2015, 09:09 PM

16,911 posts, read 10,594,283 times
Burn what you want, as long as it's yours to burn.

Old 01-15-2015, 06:41 AM

13,651 posts, read 20,780,689 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
It's free expression...yes.

But it's unnecessary and so inflationary that whatever point you're trying to make will be lost in the argument. It'll become all about burning the flag.

It's stupid and in poor taste.
True dat.

After flag burning # 123, 562, it has kind of lost its impact.

It is a stale cliche at this point.

Old 01-15-2015, 08:04 AM

59,088 posts, read 27,318,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by r small View Post
Some conservatives admit that flag burning is protected by the first amendment. Bill O'Reilly for one. And I would think that anyone claiming to be a Libertarian like Rand Paul would agree.
"Some conservatives admit that flag burning is protected by the first amendment".

Yes, some. Not most, IMO.

I, for one, do not.

Old 01-15-2015, 08:21 AM

59,088 posts, read 27,318,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadking2003 View Post
They don't. While I don't like burning our flag, it is and should be a legal act of free speech.

I guess your post is pure bunk.
Please explain how taking an action is considered speech.

I know the courts have ruled it as such. That is NOT my concern at the moment. Just, how are actions speech?

IMO, it is a form of expression. I can't find anything in the Constitution about "freedom of expresion"

IMO, it is just another example of the courts redefining what the Constitution days.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies