Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-19-2015, 08:22 AM

79,907 posts, read 44,199,011 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eeyore1954 View Post
Why? When you are investing your money in stocks, etc you are putting your investment at risk.
Every penny I made for years was put at risk by investment banks through absolutely no choice of my own.

If I want to open a business I have to use the money I made that was taxed at the regular rate. It's just as big if not a bigger risk.

On top of that the alternatives are what? .05% in a savings account?

Income should be taxed as income. Period.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2015, 08:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Driller1 View Post
The income tax has already been paid on investment money.
Investment money isn't taxed again. The profits are. Either you are intentionally trying to mislead or are very misinformed.

Old 01-19-2015, 08:32 AM

2,395 posts, read 3,012,542 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
Investment money isn't taxed again. The profits are. Either you are intentionally trying to mislead or are very misinformed.
Investment returns are in effect taxed twice. Here is one of the best explanations about the dynamics of taxing investment returns vs. income.

Dave

Old 01-19-2015, 08:34 AM

592 posts, read 414,645 times
You don't give people money out of a sense of fairness. It's unheard of. You can eliminate the granting of stock options, but you can't keep the practice going and tax the rich at the same time. That makes about as much sense as taxing bank robbers.

Will somebody please impeach this idiot.

Old 01-19-2015, 08:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cnynrat View Post
Investment returns are in effect taxed twice. Here is one of the best explanations about the dynamics of taxing investment returns vs. income.

Dave
No it isn't. No more so than any other income.

Old 01-19-2015, 08:37 AM

32,026 posts, read 36,788,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by workingclasshero View Post
1. they are not '''loopholes''''....they are TAX LAW

2. the ultra rich get less deductions than the poor/middleclass as most of the deductions phase out at about 200k

3. most working class pay less than 10% on federal taxes....while the rich are taxed on income at 35+%, plus the payroll tax up to 101k, plus 20$ on capital gains

NO-ONE should be paying more than 15%....... if the government cant fund all its obligations with 10-15% of all income....some this is wrong
Exactly.

Old 01-19-2015, 08:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by greywar View Post
And given the massive amount of wealth inequality where exactly do you think the balance is right now? Do the wealthy need more or less money? Do the consumers need more or less?

In my opinion we need more on the consumer side. I do appreciate that you realize that it takes two sides, way too many do not seem to recognize this. So I ask you...which side currently needs more money for a more efficient economy?
Well, I am not a big believer that redistributing wealth is fair game for the government.

The government involvement in the economy should primarily be focused on ensuring a truly level playing field for all participants in the economy. The extensive and burdensome regulatory regime has evolved to primarily be a means of tilting the playing field in favor of those that are better at influencing the regulatory game in D.C.

The solution in my mind is not more regulation, as that will always be subject to influence. The solution is less regulation and moving closer to a free market ideal.

To your specific question, I see the larger impediment today being the risks associated with new investment and capital formation, not insufficient wealth on the part of consumers.

Dave

Old 01-19-2015, 08:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
No it isn't. No more so than any other income.
Ahhh, I see you didn't bother to read the article ...

Old 01-19-2015, 08:45 AM

34,279 posts, read 19,371,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cnynrat View Post
Well, I am not a big believer that redistributing wealth is fair game for the government.

The government involvement in the economy should primarily be focused on ensuring a truly level playing field for all participants in the economy. The extensive and burdensome regulatory regime has evolved to primarily be a means of tilting the playing field in favor of those that are better at influencing the regulatory game in D.C.

The solution in my mind is not more regulation, as that will always be subject to influence. The solution is less regulation and moving closer to a free market ideal.

To your specific question, I see the larger impediment today being the risks associated with new investment and capital formation, not insufficient wealth on the part of consumers.

Dave
I'd point to the past-some of our most productive times have been times when the regular people had more income compared to the wealthy.

I do however agree somewhat that excessive regulations can be bad, but I also think that needs to be addressed with specifics, as the majority of regulations are there for a very valid reason. Free market ideals are often a good idea in theory, but in practice suffer from lack of regulations of external costs.

If I had more time this morning I would research productivity gains vs's disposable income to see if I could define where we are at better, but not enough time this morning.

Old 01-19-2015, 08:55 AM

592 posts, read 414,645 times
As an investor I must protest; this is my money you want to redistribute. I'm the one buying the new shares that are dumped into the market. I'm the one being robbed. You're fighting over my money. Who gets it, the CEO or the government, seems ludicrous. Both sides are robbers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies