Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-14-2015, 08:16 PM

19,966 posts, read 7,873,534 times

Advertisements

Over 50 years of laws and policies counter opposite to Jim Crow has done little to change differences in achievement. Things were taken to far to the other extreme after 1964. Freedom of association and speech, private property rights etc are being infringed. Instead progressive seeing that their policies don't address the real cause of difference between groups, they just double down on their failed policies.

Progressives plan has been to make whites a minority under the fallacy that if only whites are made the minority or totally eliminated will other groups achieve what Europeans have.

Old 07-14-2015, 09:34 PM

9,694 posts, read 7,392,751 times
the jim crow laws was to keep the black community in their own area, separate water foundation, separate restaurants, separate everything. I have lived in the deep south since 61, I had never seen any of the jim crow laws. might of been some, maye in the rural areas, but it wasnt as widespread as they make you believe. I would gusee most was around montgomery, selma, middle to upper state. maybe some in mississippi but i had never seen any.

Old 07-14-2015, 10:03 PM

26,979 posts, read 15,889,092 times
Jim Crow laws were a gross violation of the right of association. Ironically so are some civil rights laws.

Old 07-14-2015, 10:19 PM

8,653 posts, read 6,133,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whogo View Post
Jim Crow laws were a gross violation of the right of association. Ironically so are some civil rights laws.
What civil rights laws are you referring to?

Old 07-14-2015, 11:02 PM

19,966 posts, read 7,873,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SHABAZZ310 View Post

The Civil Rights Act of 1964 compelled not just public property but all private property business owners to integrate. It was challenged by at least one restaurant owner who only served take out to blacks. And the supreme court claimed the interstate commerce clause gave the government authority to regulate private property and private actors as opposed to public (state) actors. It was just the beginning of the end of private property rights, freedom of associate and private actions. Today we have HUD paying for the ghetto to be moved into non ghetto areas.

Old 07-14-2015, 11:08 PM

26,979 posts, read 15,889,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SHABAZZ310 View Post
Basically protected classes are a violation of the right of association.

Old 07-14-2015, 11:41 PM

18,130 posts, read 25,286,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Know Nonsense View Post
What are the Jim Crow laws, why were they made and who is mostly responsible for them? Did they make any progress or inhibit real progress?
It was a set of laws to make sure that black people made zero progress while white people ripped all the benefits of having a large group of oppressed people doing all the dirty work.

Old 07-15-2015, 02:00 PM

73,019 posts, read 62,607,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brownbagg View Post
the jim crow laws was to keep the black community in their own area, separate water foundation, separate restaurants, separate everything. I have lived in the deep south since 61, I had never seen any of the jim crow laws. might of been some, maye in the rural areas, but it wasnt as widespread as they make you believe. I would gusee most was around montgomery, selma, middle to upper state. maybe some in mississippi but i had never seen any.
You moved to the Deep South as Jim Crow was on its last days. It was still there. There were still Jim Crow laws around. Those were state laws. Jim Crow was far more widespread than you make it out to be. Maybe you didn't see it where you lived.

And furthermore, Jim Crow laws were more than keeping Blacks apart from everyone. It was about subjugating Black people. It was about keeping them from participating in society. Voting was made basically impossible. Blacks were given the worst schools, the hand-me-down books from White schools, and basically, were treated quite badly. There is alot of proof.

In my judgment, anyone who would try to downplay Jim Crow or try to make it seem like it wasn't that bad, probably wants Jim Crow rules to come back. That is threatening for my life.

Old 07-15-2015, 02:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtl1 View Post
The Civil Rights Act of 1964 compelled not just public property but all private property business owners to integrate. It was challenged by at least one restaurant owner who only served take out to blacks. And the supreme court claimed the interstate commerce clause gave the government authority to regulate private property and private actors as opposed to public (state) actors. It was just the beginning of the end of private property rights, freedom of associate and private actions. Today we have HUD paying for the ghetto to be moved into non ghetto areas.
Well, here is the thing. Anyone can use HUD. Doesn't matter what race you are. The thing about the Civil Rights Act is this: Everyone has the same rights. You don't have to be friends with someone of a different race. However, telling someone "because you are Black, you can't live here" you can't do that anymore. And I'm happy that is not allowed anymore.

Old 07-15-2015, 02:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Know Nonsense View Post
What are the Jim Crow laws, why were they made and who is mostly responsible for them? Did they make any progress or inhibit real progress?
Here is something to consider. Blacks were much poorer during the days of Jim Crow, especially compared to the rest of the American population. Blacks had far less say politically. Jim Crow did not do Black Americans any favors.

Jim Crow has ended. There are far more Blacks in the middle class than before. Blacks vote more. More Blacks have college degrees than ever. More Blacks have entered the ranks of the professional world. Jim Crow being destroyed has helped Black Americans.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies