Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Death Penalty Vs. Solitary confinement
Death Penalty 25 44.64%
Solitary confinement 16 28.57%
Have em both 15 26.79%
Voters: 56. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-24-2015, 02:28 PM

11,879 posts, read 14,211,423 times

Advertisements

Would you rather have your state spend money on death penalty, or use 30+ years of solitary confinement to punish its most notorious criminals.

I'm gonna go with solitary. Most notorious criminals take up high risk tasks knowing they will be killed by someone one fine day. They don't fear death, so why would death penalty even act as a deterrent ?

Forcing them into a isolated dark cell to rethink their horrific deeds in hunger is the right thing to do. Knowing that they will be tortured on a daily basis for lifetime, people will shy away from committing such crimes in future.

Share your thoughts.

Last edited by Adi from the Brunswicks; 01-24-2015 at 03:00 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2015, 03:13 PM

10,113 posts, read 10,969,066 times
I don't think the United States can place a criminal in a dark cell for however many years. I doubt we could let them go hungry either and I know all heck would break loose if they were tortured on a daily basis. Every human rights group in the US would be shouting at the top of their lungs all the way to the Supreme Court.

I have never been to a prison, just read books and watched TV. I am sure things happen in prisons, that we law abiding citizens don't really want to know about. For problem prisoners I am sure they have some sort of solitary confinement but I don't think many could take 30+ years in a dark cell, hungry and tortured without totally cracking up. Then they would have to be moved to an insane facility crazy as bedbugs still on the taxpayers dime.

Our justice systems works, most of the time anyway.

Old 01-24-2015, 04:18 PM

11,879 posts, read 14,211,423 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolinaWoman View Post
I don't think the United States can place a criminal in a dark cell for however many years. I doubt we could let them go hungry either and I know all heck would break loose if they were tortured on a daily basis. Every human rights group in the US would be shouting at the top of their lungs all the way to the Supreme Court.

I have never been to a prison, just read books and watched TV. I am sure things happen in prisons, that we law abiding citizens don't really want to know about. For problem prisoners I am sure they have some sort of solitary confinement but I don't think many could take 30+ years in a dark cell, hungry and tortured without totally cracking up. Then they would have to be moved to an insane facility crazy as bedbugs still on the taxpayers dime.

Our justice systems works, most of the time anyway.
NY state has disciplinary solitary confinement to replace death penalty, and it has been effective in reducing crime, although I have no Idea what happens behind those walls. Several prisons are shutting down, due to low occupancy.

Old 01-25-2015, 06:59 PM

2,078 posts, read 1,029,067 times
if they would actually make prison bad for these guys I would be fine with it. since they get to live a life of relative luxury we might as well speed up the executions. no point in paying for room and board, medical, and who knows what else for 25-30 years

Old 01-26-2015, 07:47 AM

5,781 posts, read 11,875,069 times
Solitary confinment is in my book "cruel and unusual punishment" : one of the reasons (not the only one) I'm for the death penalty is that some of the alternatives are less humane still. And I'm against the mosaic (talmud) more of "an eye for an eye and a teeth for a teeth". I'm for severe, dissuasive punishment, but remaining into the frame of a civilized society. I acknowledge it's a difficult balancing act.

Old 01-26-2015, 04:16 PM

17,587 posts, read 15,266,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adi from the Brunswicks View Post
NY state has disciplinary solitary confinement to replace death penalty, and it has been effective in reducing crime, although I have no Idea what happens behind those walls. Several prisons are shutting down, due to low occupancy.
NY is closing prisons, that is true. But it's not because solitary is reducing crime.. It's because they are sentencing fewer people to prison.

New York releases details on plans to close 4 prisons, including 1 in Wayne County | syracuse.com

Drug offenders are, I'd say properly, being routed to treatment and alternative sentencing options rather than being sent to prison. At least first timers.

Disciplinary solitary is something that is utilized by prison administrators.. No one is ever sentenced to solitary. So, you could be correct by saying that solitary reduces crimes committed by people in prison.

Old 01-28-2015, 05:14 PM

928 posts, read 970,152 times
Neither one.

Old 01-28-2015, 07:30 PM

854 posts, read 1,704,644 times
Death penalty. The money to keep these scumbags in prison is WAY TOO MUCH !!

Old 01-28-2015, 07:33 PM

1,284 posts, read 1,261,580 times
I'm not in favor of spending tax dollars for free medical care and three hots and a cot for some child-killing scumbag when there are hard working members of the working poor and their families going without medical care.

But I don't think the sanitized version of the death penalty we have now is appropriate, either.

They should reserve the electric chair for the real doozies, at least.

Old 01-30-2015, 01:26 AM

23,223 posts, read 29,051,044 times
I once read a true crime book, of someone who got the death penalty in NV, and he wanted no delays whatsoever, kill me now!

Well, well, well! Ever heard the term Job Security?

The other inmates on Death Row and guards made his life a living hell until he relented to the numerous appeals which can last a whole decade or more! He couldn't take the torture anymore!

30+ years in solitary confinement to give them time to think things over? 30 days, isn't that enough torture?

And, with how many being released from prisons today due to DNA clearance, would anyone want that on their conscience, to subject someone to this, and they finally walk some day, totally insane as a result of it, walking our streets?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies