Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-25-2015, 01:47 PM

1,198 posts, read 1,179,283 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hyperthetic View Post
This is not science.

This is politics.
No, Niel is a scientist. He's also a total Lib, but in this case, he's doing what we call "keeping it real."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2015, 01:50 PM

17,273 posts, read 9,551,388 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by knowledgeiskey View Post
Organic food isn't safer, and the taste isn't much different from processed food. Fast food is just like any other type of food. You just need proportion control. If you eat fast food moderately, you won't get fat.
It most certainly is different. Have you ever grown your own tomatoes? Do that & then buy one at your chain grocery store. I dare you to actually say they taste the same. That's ludicrous.

Old 01-25-2015, 01:57 PM

6,940 posts, read 9,674,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lucky4life View Post
Modern medicine

Things like antibiotics, vaccines, and medical procedures are the reason people are living longer despite the fact that we are not as healthy as we were 50 years ago. Also, life expectancy is expected to go down because of the obesity epidemic in this country.

I don't really have a problem with GMO's despite the fact that you want me to, but I will say that if you really want to know what the advent of processed foods has done, take a look at any old crowd shot from a concert or event, and then take a look at a crowd shot now. What you will see is that 1 out of 3 people are fat now. I would assume you're overweight simply by your lack of knowledge and your attitude toward this topic, but there is no way you'll admit it.............. Just know that I know the truth
The only reason people are fatter now is because of more food access at a cheaper price. 20 years ago, you had to drive about 10 miles from where I'm at to your local fast food joint. Now you can find any fast food chains a mile or two from a given suburban subdivision.

People getting fatter is only a result of economic growth. Human opulence

Food convenience has improved drastically in the last few decades. Instead of waiting a good 45 minutes for food to warm up in an oven, you can just throw whatever you need to eat in a microwave for 45-60 minutes for the same level of warmth. Now we have baked goods pre packaged. This works out in favor of consumers. A single male doesn't need to know how to hunt and cook in order to consume food in the Western World.

Old 01-25-2015, 01:58 PM

6,940 posts, read 9,674,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thefragile View Post
It most certainly is different. Have you ever grown your own tomatoes? Do that & then buy one at your chain grocery store. I dare you to actually say they taste the same. That's ludicrous.
The average person can't.

Old 01-25-2015, 02:02 PM

Quote:
The average person can't.
Yes, the average person could. Put two tomatoes side by side. One home grown, the other grocery store. There's a huge difference, the home grown tastes way better. It's a fact.

Regarding the astrology bit in the OP. What? Just, what? Who here thinks astrology is a science? Lol, that's pretty funny.

Old 01-25-2015, 02:04 PM

Quote:
The only reason people are fatter now is because of more food access at a cheaper price. 20 years ago, you had to drive about 10 miles from where I'm at to your local fast food joint. Now you can find any fast food chains a mile or two from a given suburban subdivision.

People getting fatter is only a result of economic growth. Human opulence

Food convenience has improved drastically in the last few decades. Instead of waiting a good 45 minutes for food to warm up in an oven, you can just throw whatever you need to eat in a microwave for 45-60 minutes for the same level of warmth. Now we have baked goods pre packaged. This works out in favor of consumers. A single male doesn't need to know how to hunt and cook in order to consume food in the Western World.
Uh, ok. Let's do another comparison. Let's put two people side by side. One has a balanced diet, eating more vegetables, fruit & lean protein. The other eats fast food everyday. Who is going to be more unhealthy? I simply cannot understand where you are coming from.

Old 01-25-2015, 02:04 PM

38,859 posts, read 25,521,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lucky4life View Post
Modern medicine

Things like antibiotics, vaccines, and medical procedures are the reason people are living longer despite the fact that we are not as healthy as we were 50 years ago. Also, life expectancy is expected to go down because of the obesity epidemic in this country.

I don't really have a problem with GMO's despite the fact that you want me to, but I will say that if you really want to know what the advent of processed foods has done, take a look at any old crowd shot from a concert or event, and then take a look at a crowd shot now. What you will see is that 1 out of 3 people are fat now. I would assume you're overweight simply by your lack of knowledge and your attitude toward this topic, but there is no way you'll admit it.............. Just know that I know the truth

The amount of "junk" that corporate food processors have blended into their products in recent decades is largely responsible for much of the obesity and associated chronic ailments plaguing so many in our modern society. General Mills and Kraft are under no obligation to provide nutritious foods. They do have to list ingredients, though. A quick look at the label shows high fructose corn syrup, bleached flour, preservatives, and other chemicals designed to enhance shelf life and profits while degrading the consumers' vitality.

When I was a kid, we were all skinny. Fat kids were truly a rarity. Today, so many youngsters are flabby. Some of that can be written off to electronic games instead of outdoor play, but I'm convinced that most of it is due to additives in our food.

Oh...

Mark me down as another with no GMO fears.

Old 01-25-2015, 02:31 PM

26,979 posts, read 15,879,874 times
Quote:
When I grew my own tomatoes I used pesticides if needed. It did not change the taste. As long as ya bright enough to wash the tomato.

Old 01-25-2015, 02:36 PM

15,945 posts, read 12,276,554 times
Nothing like a fresh, out of the garden "sun sugar" or "black cherry" tomato.. my two favorite varieties of cherry tomato. "Sun Gold" is good but they crack more easily.

It's a fact that you can't grow ripe, delicious produce to perfection and expect it to survive the trip to the local grocer without spoiling however.. it's just the way it is. Just like you cannot have all meat grass fed, pasture raised without significantly increasing the price. Americans have proven they would rather have things cheap rather then better quality. Once a lot of produce is refrigerated it loses it's flavor but refrigeration is necessary in many cases. I was shocked at how the on sale blueberries had no taste to them and no longer buy fresh blueberries from the grocer.

Food makers are in it for the money... they promote sugar and fat filled foods because they know it's addicting. The ones in charge of the business side of things don't care about your health, they care about the bottom line. It's up to YOU to have impulse control and not eat artery clogging french fries all the time. The perfect example of food addiction for me are the MSG loaded crackers such as ranch or sun dried tomato flavored wheat thins or whatever... I don't buy em.. I could eat a whole box. I also can't stop eating "Snyder's of Hanover Honey Mustard & Onion Pretzel Pieces" so I don't buy them.

Not that I take sides in the silly left-right thing, but there are even more silly things you could say about the anti-science right. A lot of the stuff in this thread is reaching. Was the earth created in 6000 years? Do CO2 levels rising have no lasting consequence so we have nothing to worry about and we can go back to polluting everything?

Last edited by sholomar; 01-25-2015 at 02:44 PM..

Old 01-25-2015, 04:49 PM

1,198 posts, read 1,179,283 times
Quote:
Yes, the average person could. Put two tomatoes side by side. One home grown, the other grocery store. There's a huge difference, the home grown tastes way better. It's a fact.

Regarding the astrology bit in the OP. What? Just, what? Who here thinks astrology is a science? Lol, that's pretty funny.
You're wasting your time talking to this person. Anyone that's eaten fruits and vegetables from a farmers market or grown their own, knows that there is no comparison. The flavors are just so much stronger. This is especially true with fruits and vegetables that have a strong flavor like radishes, bell peppers or strawberries. I probably couldn't tell a difference in taste with stuff like Iceberg lettuce or potatoes, but any produce with some color to it tastes much stronger when it's no engineered to have a longer shelf life.

The tomatoes in the store aren't even ripe. They're just injected with color and sprayed with wax that can't be washed off. They're horrible if you've had the real thing .

And the OP didn't know the difference between astrology and astronomy. He was trying to take another shot at science, but failed miserably. Too funny LOL
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies