Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-20-2012, 05:59 AM

Location: Georgia, on the Florida line, right above Tallahassee
10,471 posts, read 15,835,178 times

Advertisements

Anti-Science Republicans Versus Anti-Science Democrats: The Comparison

Kind of a cool article. Makes you think, eh? Here's a snippet.
Greenpeace insists that you should trust scientists on global warming but not on genetic modification, for example. In America, Greenpeace members are overwhelmingly Democrats but does the political makeup of the anti-vaccine and the anti-agriculture movement get any attention? No, yet 'stem cells' get trotted out again for Republicans, though, despite the fact that Republicans never objected to 'stem cells' in 40 years and even human embryonic stem cells were only limited(1) to existing lines - and then only if federal money was involved, because it was a violation of the Dickey-Wicker Act made into law by Democrat Bill Clinton to prevent research on embryos.

Pres. George W. Bush is reviled by Democrats, as is Ronald Reagan, but Bush reversed the science funding decline that occurred during the Clinton years and doubled NIH funding and boosted NASA after 8 years of decline. Republican Pres. Ronald Reagan gave a public address providing the single greatest defense of basic research in presidential history. Yet they were supposedly anti-science.

Old 06-20-2012, 06:13 AM

24,868 posts, read 24,392,645 times
LMAO!!!!

You're comparing Reagan to modern Republicans?

Hell, even Jeb Bush admitted that Reagan wouldn't be considered a Republican today.

My personal view is that both parties like to use science when it backs up their assertions. However, it seems that Republicans have been avoiding science when it doesn't suit them, as do Democrats.

Old 06-20-2012, 06:25 AM

Location: Georgia, on the Florida line, right above Tallahassee
10,471 posts, read 15,835,178 times
That's basically what the article says as well. It's like the Bible. Pick and choose what you like, discard the rest...or say it's not relative. The good science is the science that backs up your opinion.

Old 06-20-2012, 06:26 AM

30,065 posts, read 18,670,668 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 70Ford View Post

Greenpeace insists that you should trust scientists on global warming but not on genetic modification, for example. In America, Greenpeace members are overwhelmingly Democrats but does the political makeup of the anti-vaccine and the anti-agriculture movement get any attention? No, yet 'stem cells' get trotted out again for Republicans, though, despite the fact that Republicans never objected to 'stem cells' in 40 years and even human embryonic stem cells were only limited(1) to existing lines - and then only if federal money was involved, because it was a violation of the Dickey-Wicker Act made into law by Democrat Bill Clinton to prevent research on embryos.

Pres. George W. Bush is reviled by Democrats, as is Ronald Reagan, but Bush reversed the science funding decline that occurred during the Clinton years and doubled NIH funding and boosted NASA after 8 years of decline. Republican Pres. Ronald Reagan gave a public address providing the single greatest defense of basic research in presidential history. Yet they were supposedly anti-science.

I trust science completely. However, I do not embrace junk science like global warming. The concept of man made "global warming" is a completely unsubstantiated hypothesis that should not be embraced as fact by any rational scientist.

Old 06-20-2012, 06:31 AM

6,369 posts, read 6,410,222 times
Personally, I am more concerned about the anti-arithmetic Democrats than I am about the anti-science Republicans. The anti-arithmetic Democrats would render us starving in the dark long before any ill effects of the alleged anti-science Republicans show up.

Old 06-20-2012, 07:06 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,779,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 70Ford View Post

The anti-vaccine movement is composed of extreme right-wing and left-wing fanatics who feel it is all a "government plot".

Old 06-20-2012, 07:18 AM

78,423 posts, read 60,613,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
The anti-vaccine movement is composed of extreme right-wing and left-wing fanatics who feel it is all a "government plot".
Most of the anti-vaxers are anti-corporate naturalists. Go into any of the threads about natural healing, crystal therapy, holistic remedies etc. and you will quickly be waist deep in anti-vaxers.

I'm not going to try to label them politically as many of them are just moon-beam loopy and defy definition.

Old 06-20-2012, 07:20 AM

41,813 posts, read 51,059,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marcopolo View Post
Personally, I am more concerned about the anti-arithmetic Democrats than I am about the anti-science Republicans.
Negative numbers do not exist. LOL

Old 06-20-2012, 07:23 AM

79,907 posts, read 44,210,872 times
Just because one isn't willing to commit billions of dollars to this scientific theory or that scientific theory does not make you anti-scientific.

Old 06-20-2012, 07:23 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,779,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
Most of the anti-vaxers are anti-corporate naturalists. Go into any of the threads about natural healing, crystal therapy, holistic remedies etc. and you will quickly be waist deep in anti-vaxers.

I'm not going to try to label them politically as many of them are just moon-beam loopy and defy definition.
Many of them are engineers with graduate degrees. I work in a pediatric office. I have met quite a few. I don't meet the ones you're talking about b/c they don't go to doctors.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies