Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which nation is most likely to war against the U.S. that could actually win?
The U.K. 4 4.88%
India 1 1.22%
Russia 23 28.05%
China 54 65.85%
Voters: 82. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-05-2015, 05:31 PM

5,756 posts, read 3,996,484 times

Advertisements

No one wins !
War what is it good for?
Absolutely nothing!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2015, 06:28 PM

5,294 posts, read 10,202,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texdav View Post
I think if anything it will be a alliance against radical power in middle east or alliances of radical powers. Most likely based in Iraq as Bush was right it was the treat because of its resources to create a power base from. The only reason a world war is the number of radicals Muslims around the world we see forming.
This. Firstly, we will not lose a war unless possibly if it's a Vietnam-like scenario, with guerrilla warfare. Not in the next 100 years, at least.

Secondly, let's really think about these countries. The UK and India, first of all, wouldn't stand a chance in a war against us. Secondly and more importantly, they would never get into a war with us. Too many shared values between us and the UK. We also have many shared values with India, but they've also always been a pretty peaceful nation.

With Russia, even as the second strongest military in the world, they still couldn't beat us. But since they come closest, both the USA and Russia are too frightened of the possibility of a war between us. So much so that it will never happen.

China has a big army and is getting stronger. However, there's too much inner conflict, and they lack the training and technology of the US (or even Russia and arguably, India) to stand a chance. Furthermore, our fates are so intertwined that there most likely will never be a war between our countries. In addition, they are surrounded by enemies--India, Southeast Asian countries, South Korea, Japan...in addition, New Zealand, Australia, Russia, and obviously Taiwan aren't very trusting of China either. They're trapped.

But yes, while the West has differences with China and Russia, we all have a common enemy at this point: extremist Islam. Uighur terrorists in China, Pakistan and terrorist groups in India, Chechnyans in Russia, (I'll ad in Hamas, Hezbollah, and Iran with Israel), Al-Qaeda with the US, and ISIS against everyone that's not Muslim, or not as radical as they are. If there will be a WW3, it will be the world vs Iran and the Arab countries.

Old 02-05-2015, 06:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by X14Freak View Post
I will get bashed for this but America's power projection capabilities are somewhat overrated. Most of the wars that America has fought against post WWII have been against incompetent enemies who were barely trained in modern warfare. Against a near peer adversary, I don't think the results will be as favorable as the previous wars. I will be criticized even more for saying this but against China, I don't see the US winning a war although I don't see China winning either (it would probably be a draw). While the US Navy is unparalleled in the world, can it really face off against China in China's home turf aka the Western Pacific? Can the US Navy actually defeat China's land based anti naval weaponry, air based anti naval weaponry, and the PLAN all at once? I am skeptical of this since the US Navy would face serious logistical problems due to the massive distance of the US from the Western Pacific.
You forget that the US and allies are positioned in many places closer to China (in the Indian Ocean, Japan, and South Korea, to name a few).

The US also has leagues of allies. China really only has North Korea...

Old 02-05-2015, 06:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LookingForAChange View Post
I anticipated this, "This is 'Murica and no one could possibly ever beat us!" mentality, so I'm not surprised by some of the comments coming from this thread. They're probably coming from people who still choose to believe America was the biggest factor in WW2. Anyways, all of the above countries have advanced anti-missile systems, so a missile attack wouldn't necessarily be as easy as some people here are trying to make it seem.

If I had to guess, it would be between Russia or China. They both have greater man power than the U.S., better tanks, a better military, and as I mentioned above advanced anti-missile defense.
Russia doesn't have greater manpower than the USA. Neither it nor China have better tanks than the USA. And neither country has better intelligence, training, or technology than the USA. So no, they don't have the better militaries. You just sound like an America-Hating liberal...you're free to leave anytime you want, if that's the case.

Old 02-05-2015, 06:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stellastar2345 View Post
I'm going to get slammed for this, but I never understood why the american government didn't make up some stupid story about China while it was still weak and then get public support to go to war with it. It could have crushed the threat we are seeing today.

I also kind of wish they would just tell the masses Indians are muslims (most people would believe it), and then start a war with India before they can actually gain power.
There's nothing to fear from India. They've always been a peaceful country that has never invaded another or been the aggressor unless it had to defend itself. Besides, if there's a serious threat from China, wouldn't it be better to have India rise over there as a counterbalance, rather than start a meaningless, pointless war with them?

Old 02-05-2015, 06:50 PM

Quote:
They would be able to beat the U.S. for the simple fact that the U.S. would have to bring back the draft. Being a male of military age, I and many others would rather go to prison than help the U.S. fight a war, so I'm sure the U.S. would be outgunned.

By the way, look at your first sentence that I put in bold font and please take note of how you contradicted yourself.... The U.S. cannot fight the entire world and still be fighting with allies at the same time, so your sentence doesn't make any sense whatsoever. By the way there's no way in hell the U.S. is fighting both China and Russia and coming out on top or even breaking even. Let's not forget that Germany would probably want a piece of the action against the U.S. as well

But seriously, unless everyone decided to go nuclear at which time everyone loses and you best be looking for underground cover... The U.S. would have no chance, and as others have said it would be to the U.S.'s advantage to avoid such a messy war, the spoils just wouldn't be worth it.
Germany wants a piece of us?

Laughable. The Nazis are no longer in power, and most Germans are ashamed of that part of their history and want nothing to do with that crap rising again. Our countries are close. WW2 is over.

Old 02-05-2015, 07:02 PM

5,770 posts, read 3,220,188 times
A lot depends on where.

Modern China might push us out of Korea. There's a land connection. A vastly superior navy couldn't stay within range of Chinese land based missiles.

Russia - we take out their oil fields and they're done. Look at what the price of oil is doing to them now. If they go nuclear we both lose assuming both sides kept their missiles up to date. Isn't Poland now in NATO? The Germans have never been a pushover and a Russian army punching into Belarus would give them not only time to mobilize but time for America to deploy.

India is busy developing their economy and GB no longer has an empire to draw on for soldiers.

Old 02-05-2015, 07:10 PM

22,216 posts, read 21,658,893 times
Quote:
Without the Russians the Axis powers would have won the war. Without America, the Allied forces still would have won.
I don't think that's true.

Without the Russians, the Germans would probably have been the recipient of the first atomic bombs.

America had considerable manpower, financial and material resources, that benefitted all of the Allied forces. Who would have defeated Japan?

Old 02-05-2015, 07:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suncc49 View Post
I actually would see China versus Russia before the US. Think about all the natural resources Russia has and China needs/doesn't have.

Russia's population is declining and life expectancy is going down too.
I agree with this sentiment.

Old 02-05-2015, 08:00 PM

1,392 posts, read 2,132,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawaii4evr View Post
You forget that the US and allies are positioned in many places closer to China (in the Indian Ocean, Japan, and South Korea, to name a few).

The US also has leagues of allies. China really only has North Korea...
America doesn't have a lot of allies, only a lot of parasites.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies