Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-27-2015, 02:12 PM

1,250 posts, read 1,488,060 times

Advertisements

rich people are struggling and i'm supposed to care because they're black? lol please washington post
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2015, 02:26 PM

13,946 posts, read 5,618,313 times
Of note, and why I don't feel much sympathy - my wife and I make substantially more than the "victimized" couple in the article, but our house is less than half the size of theirs and cost right about one fourth of what theirs did.

I do not have sympathy for people who out-purchase their revenue generating abilities, and I don't care what their skin color is.

Old 01-27-2015, 02:48 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,185,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Volobjectitarian View Post
Of note, and why I don't feel much sympathy - my wife and I make substantially more than the "victimized" couple in the article, but our house is less than half the size of theirs and cost right about one fourth of what theirs did.

I do not have sympathy for people who out-purchase their revenue generating abilities, and I don't care what their skin color is.
Substantially more?

Where was their income listed?

I saw a line in the piece that mentioned that one family made well into six figures.

If that's the line you're talking about, don't get carried away with claims of making "significantly more," because then you must be talking about 7 figs.

And you ain't seeing no seven figs.

Old 01-28-2015, 07:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
Substantially more?

Where was their income listed?
In the one article that was part of the series, the Boateng couple was making $110k combined income when they bought a 3,300 sq ft house for $617k, and are now complaining about it.
Quote:
If that's the line you're talking about, don't get carried away with claims of making "significantly more," because then you must be talking about 7 figs.

And you ain't seeing no seven figs.
Nice insult based on no info, but whatever. I gave the example listed. It was the Boateng couple in the one article, and my wife and I do make substantially more than their combined income.

Old 01-28-2015, 07:53 AM

Quote:
In the one article that was part of the series, the Boateng couple was making $110k combined income when they bought a 3,300 sq ft house for $617k, and are now complaining about it.

Nice insult based on no info, but whatever. I gave the example listed. It was the Boateng couple in the one article, and my wife and I do make substantially more than their combined income.
Wasn't an insult. It was the truth. Don't need any additional info.

In any case, i didn't see that 110k figure in any articles because i only read the linked piece. Sure, it's quite possible that you're doing somewhat better than that figure.

Old 01-28-2015, 08:01 AM

Quote:
Wasn't an insult. It was the truth. Don't need any additional info.

In any case, i didn't see that 110k figure in any articles because i only read the linked piece. Sure, it's quite possible that you're doing somewhat better than that figure.
And living in a house half the size and one quarter of the cost...hence no complaints about the "unfairness of it all" hence my lack of sympathy.

That is actually a subset of my overall lack of sympathy for people who sign contracts they neither read nor understand and then gripe later when the terms of the contract become clear.

Old 01-28-2015, 08:08 AM

1,603 posts, read 1,112,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by clb10 View Post
The American Dream shatters in Prince George’s County | The Washington Post

Perhaps president Obama will need another 8 years to fix the "mess" caused by Bush which is the reason why this is happening?
Their houses were never worth 620k. It's called a bubble for a reason. People who borrowed against their phantom wealth...well, I feel for them, but it affected everyone. I'm grateful I managed to convince my folks not to tap their phantom equity back in 2006.

The DC metro area is doing fine overall in comparison to the rest of the country.

Old 01-28-2015, 08:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Veneficus View Post
Their houses were never worth 620k. It's called a bubble for a reason. People who borrowed against their phantom wealth...well, I feel for them, but it affected everyone. I'm grateful I managed to convince my folks not to tap their phantom equity back in 2006.

The DC metro area is doing fine overall in comparison to the rest of the country.
The three richest per capita counties in America are Loudon, Fairfax and Prince Georges, all surrounding DC.

They're doing just fine.

Old 01-28-2015, 09:38 AM

Quote:
And living in a house half the size and one quarter of the cost...hence no complaints about the "unfairness of it all" hence my lack of sympathy.

That is actually a subset of my overall lack of sympathy for people who sign contracts they neither read nor understand and then gripe later when the terms of the contract become clear.
The housing boom is one of those episodes that happens in a nation's history when citizens are all routinely losing their minds and perspective for a temporary period.

Frankly, i don't know what got into so many people.

Old 01-28-2015, 10:14 AM

12,755 posts, read 9,643,519 times
The 'Obama Age'?

Do you realize that an 'age' is generally about 2,000 years?

LOL
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies