Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Cops should be allowed to shoot and kill anyone who doesn't listen to any order a cop gives no matte
True 1 6.25%
False 15 93.75%
Voters: 16. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-28-2015, 10:28 AM

3,197 posts, read 2,853,436 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
Contempt of Cop has become a crime punishable by death. Then and there. This is a very bad trend that must be changed.

If I kill someone it had better be a complete accident or I better have a very good reason for the killing. So should the police. FEAR is not adequate.
Exactly this.

Old 01-28-2015, 10:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wjtwet View Post
Is it the cops fault they are defending their life or is it the people not complying fault
Explain to me why a cop has to use lethal force with their firearm if the suspect is unarmed? If a suspect is merely resisting arrest or arguing with a cop that doesn't give the cop the right to use lethal force.

Old 01-28-2015, 10:32 AM

Another thing I'm wondering is why do cops carry taser guns if they hardly ever use them? Any time a cop uses their taser gun would you say they would have been justified also to use their actual firearm?

Old 01-28-2015, 10:36 AM

13,303 posts, read 7,872,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
Contempt of Cop has become a crime punishable by death. Then and there. This is a very bad trend that must be changed.

If I kill someone it had better be a complete accident or I better have a very good reason for the killing. So should the police. FEAR is not adequate.
Fear is a subjective, highly manipulatable, and convenient tool, that doesn't necessarily require atmosfear.

In many cases (of abuse), it is a self-generated tool for the accomplishment of unspecified desires.

Old 01-28-2015, 10:40 AM

59,089 posts, read 27,318,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohKnip View Post
It seems now a days that there are quite a few shootings by cops happening in this country. And justified or not many people seem to take the side of the cops because they are the law and they determine what is right and wrong (apparently ). So my question is if a orders you to do (or stop doing something) and you don't do you believe they are justified to take lethal action against that person, because who knows what may happen? shot by police unarmed - Bing

Edit: My poll question was cut off due to length. Here is the full question: Cops should be allowed to shoot and kill anyone who doesn't listen to any order
a cop gives no matter what that person is doing (non-threatening or not), True or False?
Really?

Old 01-28-2015, 10:44 AM

12,481 posts, read 10,224,629 times
Quote:
If the person is aming a gun and the cop is in fear of dying ,and the person does not drop the gun, the cop has a right to defend his own life
Quote:
Is it the cops fault they are defending their life or is it the people not complying fault
Quote:
Explain to me why a cop has to use lethal force with their firearm if the suspect is unarmed? If a suspect is merely resisting arrest or arguing with a cop that doesn't give the cop the right to use lethal force.
Already explained

Old 01-28-2015, 10:55 AM

Quote:
Already explained
You said:

Quote:
If the person is aiming a gun...
and

Quote:
Is it the cops fault they are defending their life
And I said:

Quote:
Explain to me why a cop has to use lethal force with their firearm if the suspect is unarmed
Notice the bolded part.

Your posts bring a gun (or weapon) in the victims hands into the scenario. My post focuses on the victim being unarmed. Two very different scenarios. If someone is brandishing a weapon and threatening a cop with it then the officer should respond to that (lethal force is not always needed in these situations though) but if there is no weapon what reason does a cop have to draw his weapon and attack someone?

If a cop says they feared for their life (despite there being no weapon involved [expect for the cop's firearm]) is that enough to justify police using lethal force? If fear is enough of a reason to use lethal force what is to stop any cop from shooting anyone and saying they feared for their life? How can a dead person defend themselves in that situation?

Old 01-28-2015, 11:05 AM

12,481 posts, read 10,224,629 times
Quote:
You said:

and

And I said:

Notice the bolded part.

Your posts bring a gun (or weapon) in the victims hands into the scenario. My post focuses on the victim being unarmed. Two very different scenarios. If someone is brandishing a weapon and threatening a cop with it then the officer should respond to that (lethal force is not always needed in these situations though) but if there is no weapon what reason does a cop have to draw his weapon and attack someone?

If a cop says they feared for their life (despite there being no weapon involved [expect for the cop's firearm]) is that enough to justify police using lethal force? If fear is enough of a reason to use lethal force what is to stop any cop from shooting anyone and saying they feared for their life? How can a dead person defend themselves in that situation?
Then it would depend on what actions the suspect had taken. How does the cop know he is unarmed? The only way is if the cop had searched him.

Old 01-28-2015, 11:12 AM

Quote:
Then it would depend on what actions the suspect had taken. How does the cop know he is unarmed? The only way is if the cop had searched him.
"How does the cop know he is unarmed?"

Assume the person is unarmed until you have reason to believe (you see a weapon) that that person isn't. If cops go around "assuming" every suspect is armed with a deadly weapon then they go around constantly in fear of EVERYTHING and believe the use of their firearm is the first resort.

You answered true to the question of whether or not cops should be allowed to use lethal force if the suspect is not listening to direct orders. I don't understand why cops have to be so trigger happy. There should be a legitimate threat to the life of someone (cop or otherwise) before lethal force should be allowed. If there is no weapon involved in the situation the threat level to the defending person's life is quite low and should be handled with non-lethal methods of force and defense.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies