Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-28-2015, 07:51 PM

39,868 posts, read 26,498,769 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cb at sea View Post
If schools taught skills that CAN be graded...wouldn't that be amazing! Like adding, or spelling....concrete things!
They gave up teaching math when they adopted "common core". Common core isn't math, it's counting.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2015, 08:04 PM

6,542 posts, read 4,093,577 times
Well, it's something I guess.

American education has fallen behind the rest of the world. Education should be a lot more than just memorizing facts and having no way of applying them to anything in the outside world.

Science class is a great example. We're told what others have discovered but never once were we taught to think scientifically. Same with math. I learned calculus; never once was told what practical use it had. English classes are the only ones that come a little close to teaching people to actually think, but that's really at the discretion of the teacher. Anyone can tell you the plot of Frankenstein, but what else is there in Frankenstein worth talking about? That type of stuff is glossed over.

I have no problem with schools adding in 'unconventional' methods of grading or criteria. I encourage it. The system we have doesn't work, so try new things. Grading someone on their empathy could be useful for some. Only the truly foolish think education is one size fits all. Not everyone will need anything past basic math in life (though it is good to have), and some will need to rely on other skill sets.

As the Einstein quote goes: “Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”

Not all people think the same or have the same skill set, nor want to have the same skill set.

But what I'm finding interesting is the conservative back lash. While this is a liberal policy (which is the main reason they're fighting it which is you know... petty), it's still a step in the right direction. Getting away from, what's it the conservative's call school, indoctrination centers, by encouraging critical thinking skills and utilizing your full potential should be what they WANT. But no, their no different than the liberals, they just want conservative values being taught instead of liberal ones.

And yes, their are flaws in the system. Teachers are too afraid to fail students because their parents will complain to the school. Failure shouldn't be viewed so negatively. It's not always a bad thing. It can tell you where you need to improve. The issue is what failure can mean for a student. It can hold them back too much, which is not good and not helpful. The education system is clearly broken though and liberals and conservatives need to work together (I know, blasphemy right?) if we want to see improvements.

Old 01-28-2015, 08:08 PM

23,856 posts, read 13,743,685 times
I grew up in that well-known wildly liberal decade, the 50s, and went to public school in southern california. I was graded on about 12 non-academic traits - the proverbial "plays well with others" among them. We also had our fingernails and hands checked for cleanliness daily.

Frankly, I think grits and gratitude would have been more meaningful.

Old 01-28-2015, 08:54 PM

37,135 posts, read 42,203,740 times
I got marks on citizenship back in the 60's. Getting on with others, listening, keeping still in class, and stuff like that too. I don't think there was a letter grade or anything but I feel it's the same idea?

Common core math confuses me, however I am lousy at all math including the "new" math I was taught. My adult son get's CC math, he said that's how he always thinks even when that's not the way they taught him. My only concern is that everyone has different styles of learning and CC math may not be right for everyone just like the traditional way, and the "new math", weren't. I have no doubt that things are going to continue changing as far as teaching goes because nothing ever seems to work for everyone.

Old 01-28-2015, 11:26 PM

16,880 posts, read 15,194,933 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EdwardA View Post
From the land of the loons:

Good question Ms. Christensen.

jeeze, I am very glad I homeschool my daughters.

Old 01-28-2015, 11:58 PM

25,619 posts, read 36,692,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyman at Jewel Lake View Post
Our public school system is becoming an international laughingstock. Other countries teach skills, things like math and science. We teach "grit". I think our schools are being dumbed town to the level of the administrators.

Problem is that no way in hell public school is going to teach kids about grit. They don't even know what it means much less how to teach it.

The reason why I sent all my daughters through private catholic schools.

Old 01-29-2015, 12:33 AM

3,007 posts, read 6,286,246 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EdwardA View Post
From the land of the loons:

Good question Ms. Christensen.
lol. what a joke.

Old 01-29-2015, 01:27 AM

10,829 posts, read 5,434,654 times
Grit -- being a good little liberal/leftist.

Dangerously antisocial -- not being a good little liberal/leftist.

Old 01-29-2015, 01:57 AM

7,359 posts, read 5,462,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goingforarip View Post
A bit cheesy yes, but it's a start towards a worthy idea.

That is, requiring our school system to teach students about life, and not just books.
Requiring our school system to teach students about life is an absolutely horrid idea. I'm guessing you're a Democrat. Only a Democrat would volunteer to have government bureaucrats teach children how to feel.
Quote:
I went to a very elite high school and look back at my college years as that of a completely helpless child with no idea how anything in life really works.

That is not a default disposition via age, or a function of bad parenting IMO.
Your opinion is wrong. It absolutely was your parents' responsibility to teach you how life works. That's known as "raising a child."

Old 01-29-2015, 03:10 AM

7,974 posts, read 7,349,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceece View Post
I got marks on citizenship back in the 60's. Getting on with others, listening, keeping still in class, and stuff like that too. I don't think there was a letter grade or anything but I feel it's the same idea?

Common core math confuses me, however I am lousy at all math including the "new" math I was taught. My adult son get's CC math, he said that's how he always thinks even when that's not the way they taught him. My only concern is that everyone has different styles of learning and CC math may not be right for everyone just like the traditional way, and the "new math", weren't. I have no doubt that things are going to continue changing as far as teaching goes because nothing ever seems to work for everyone.
Our old report cards had "N" for "Needs Improvement" or "S" for "Satisfactory".

My kids have been out of school for many years, but when my youngest was in high school she enjoyed a math course they offered dealing with money (money transactions, interest, figuring change without a calculator, balancing a checkbook, establishing a budget, reconciling a checking account, etc.) She could (and still can) do a running balance at the grocery store in her head and come up with the total within pennies. Is that part of CC math? If not, maybe it should be.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies