Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-06-2015, 11:31 AM

20,460 posts, read 26,334,196 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASOT View Post
Indeed, they've been wrong on pretty much everything. To reiterate my point:
Yeah, wingnuts are clueless. I suspect it's because of the whole paranoid and ignorant "we don't trust scientists and mathematicians" mentality.
That line of thinking is NOT what made America great - but it IS what keeps those middle-east radicals backward and poor. Any nation ignores science and math at its' own peril - because those nations that ignore it will be left behind while those to understand it and embrace it will dominate the future.

Ken
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2015, 12:06 PM

39,078 posts, read 51,239,172 times
This was a stunningly good job report. One of the most remarkable items in it is the surge in millenials' employment. This little item is absolutely key to creating demand and strength in the US economy going forward. The kids are finally moving out of their parents' basement and into the workforce. Soon come homes, furniture, appliances, and kids. It is welcome and long overdue development.

Old 02-06-2015, 12:21 PM

Location: On the "Left Coast", somewhere in "the Land of Fruits & Nuts"
8,852 posts, read 10,458,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
This was a stunningly good job report. One of the most remarkable items in it is the surge in millenials' employment. This little item is absolutely key to creating demand and strength in the US economy going forward. The kids are finally moving out of their parents' basement and into the workforce. Soon come homes, furniture, appliances, and kids. It is welcome and long overdue development.
I sure hope so, since as a landlord, have seen an awful lot of very young families with kids applying these days, that are already on welfare, Section 8, etc..

With the disappearance of manufacturing in this country, it's like what can we do to also find employment for this perpetually unskilled "low end" of the labor market? Not everyone can become a "techie"!

Old 02-06-2015, 12:28 PM

39,078 posts, read 51,239,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mateo45 View Post
I sure hope so, since as a landlord, have seen an awful lot of very young families with kids applying these days, that are already on welfare, Section 8, etc..

With the disappearance of manufacturing in this country, it's like what can we do to also find employment for this perpetually unskilled "low end" of the labor market? Not everyone can become a "techie"!
Yes, let's hope it's not just a data blip. The young people, from those with limited education to the college grads, have borne the brunt of this recession. I have nieces and nephews who are out there on the pavement looking for work. It will be a very welcome development if this report heralds the arrival of growth in entry level positions once again.

Old 02-06-2015, 12:30 PM

1,549 posts, read 1,063,376 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ace Rothstein View Post
November and December revised up by 147k, November had the single best month of job growth since 1997.

Unemployment rate up .1% to 5.7% percent as more people are looking for jobs again as the market improves. LFPR up .2% to 62.9%.

2.2% rise in average hourly earnings.

Jobs Report: U.S. Adds 257,000 Jobs; Unemployment Ticks Up to 5.7% - WSJ
Then why are 90-plus million Americans still out of the labor force? 5.7 my ass. More than likely, the figure is still closer to about 18 to 20 percent. Nothing's changed.

Old 02-06-2015, 12:35 PM

1,988 posts, read 2,224,583 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gurn350 View Post
Then why are 90-plus million Americans still out of the labor force? 5.7 my ass. More than likely, the figure is still closer to about 18 to 20 percent. Nothing's changed.
Because most of those 90 million people don't want a job? They are the retired, the disabled, full-time students and stay at home parents. There is a slice of that however who do want a job and are currently not looking for employment.

I'll bet you had no idea that the number has been steadily growing every year...since our population grows every year. Do some research next time before making assumptions.

Old 02-06-2015, 12:35 PM

5,562 posts, read 5,683,672 times
I will say this, BUSINESSES CREATE JOBS, now if we are saying in any way government "creates jobs" then you can say this in november since repbulicans landslided democrats out of off, many some business owners saw the light at the end of the tunnel and created some jobs knowing repblicans were less likely to shut them down with higher taxes.

Old 02-06-2015, 12:36 PM

1,988 posts, read 2,224,583 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LibertyandJusticeforAll View Post
I will say this, BUSINESSES CREATE JOBS, now if we are saying in any way government "creates jobs" then you can say this in november since repbulicans landslided democrats out of off, many some business owners saw the light at the end of the tunnel and created some jobs knowing repblicans were less likely to shut them down with higher taxes.
Except job gains have been happening since October 2010. It was only a matter of time before Republicans took credit for the decrease in unemployment.

Old 02-06-2015, 12:37 PM

3,792 posts, read 2,386,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mircea View Post
And now for the facts and truth that the pathetic cannot accept.

Series Id: LNU02000000

147,936,000 Employed October 2014
146,552,000 Employed January 2015
--------------
1,384,000 fewer Americans are working because they lost their jobs.

Series Id: LNU02500000

120,176,000 Employed Full-Time >35 hours October 2014
118,840,000 Employed Full-Time >35 hours January 2015
---------------
1,306,000 Full-Time jobs have been lost.

Debunking....

Mircea
Winding down into oblivion.

Old 02-06-2015, 12:40 PM

2,523 posts, read 2,203,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LibertyandJusticeforAll View Post
Or job growth has been high for a while now and continues to be high.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies