Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-06-2015, 12:54 PM

19,784 posts, read 15,111,393 times

Advertisements

Some people get their hair up over the silliest things.

Old 02-06-2015, 12:56 PM

36,529 posts, read 30,863,516 times
I can think of things that have been said to me over my life that I have taken offense to. Have a blessed day or any other such term or religious (any religion) greeting certainly is not one of them.

Old 02-06-2015, 12:57 PM
Status: "Apparently the worst poster on CD" (set 28 days ago)

27,647 posts, read 16,133,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kool hand luke View Post
I think you just want to stir up trouble. If not, then you must carry around alot of internal conflict and agitation if that phrase upsets you.
I would have to agree. Btw, have an awsome epic blessed inspired majestic stunning phenomenol extrordinary etc Special day!

Old 02-06-2015, 01:11 PM

46,961 posts, read 25,990,037 times
Nice to see a consensus. I guess we'll hear no more bellyaching over "Happy Holidays", then?

Old 02-06-2015, 01:13 PM

939 posts, read 795,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saltine View Post
I would have to agree. Btw, have an awsome epic blessed inspired majestic stunning phenomenol extrordinary etc Special day!
Thank you- even if you did overdo it!

Old 02-06-2015, 01:18 PM

5,294 posts, read 10,209,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestCobb View Post
It assumes I'm either a Christian or a Wiccan or something. I'm neither. I don't like the phrase. If I ran a business, I'd make sure my employees didn't use it. I don't always agree with WalMart, but I'm with them on this one.
It doesn't assume anything. A Jew, Muslim, Buddhist, or Hindu can also say "Have a Blessed Day"...those 4 word don't pertain only to Christianity at all.

This is just more silliness from liberals to take away attention from those radical Muslim barbarians in the Middle East, which they deem as "non-Islamic". It's another pathetic attempt by liberals to get people to loathe nice Christians while coming to the defense of/apologizing for Muslim terrorists.

Old 02-06-2015, 01:33 PM

15,080 posts, read 20,474,184 times
Quote:
Personally, this phrase offends me. When someone says it, I want to respond, go **** yourself! For this reason, I think businesses who ban people from using it are making a good call. What do you think?
I'm not religious but I understand the intent. People who say it to me over the phone or in person always seem pretty cheerful and it's like they want to spread it around. That's a good thing!

Have a nice day.

[or in this case, a blessed day ]

Old 02-06-2015, 01:37 PM

5,189 posts, read 5,335,772 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawaii4evr View Post
...It's another pathetic attempt by liberals to get people to loathe nice Christians while coming to the defense of/apologizing for Muslim terrorists.
Whoa. Now I am not defending the OP. In fact, I stated that (as a nonbeliever myself) I find it odd that someone would get worked up or offended over someone saying "Have a blessed day" or something similar which I view as a sincere, nice thing to say.

But did I miss something? Where in this thread did anyone say anything in the defense of violent terrorist thug Islamic extremists?

Quote:
This is just more silliness from liberals to take away attention from those radical Muslim barbarians in the Middle East, which they deem as "non-Islamic".
Again, not sure where you are getting this. I would argue that the radical, violent Muslims in the mid-east, while undoubtedly Islamic, are not indicative of the entirety of Muslims. Just like the KKK and Westboro Baptist Church are not indicative of all Christians.

That's not the same thing as "apologizing" for Muslim terrorists.

By the same token, I think people who say violent terrorist Muslims are terrorists and not Muslims are wrong. Most Muslims are NOT violent radical extremists, but those that are, are most certainly Muslim, and are using their religion to justify real atrocities. This isn't something we should ignore, excuse, or forget.

Old 02-06-2015, 01:42 PM

6,542 posts, read 4,094,955 times
Quote:
Personally, this phrase offends me. When someone says it, I want to respond, go **** yourself! For this reason, I think businesses who ban people from using it are making a good call. What do you think?
Why? I'm agnostic, and it's never once bothered me. They're just being polite. It's not like the pull a knife out and say 'submit to Christ or die.'

This is no different than the 'Merry Christmas' issue. It's people being polite. Just because they said something that doesn't fit perfectly within your world view does not mean they did something wrong.

Old 02-06-2015, 01:42 PM

19,784 posts, read 15,111,393 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dane_in_LA View Post
Nice to see a consensus. I guess we'll hear no more bellyaching over "Happy Holidays", then?

I wish, but, alas, no. The "War on Christmas" theme will rear its ugly head around November, as it does every year.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies