Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-08-2015, 12:56 PM

1,738 posts, read 2,079,106 times

Advertisements

You know OP, I' m sorry if you've been hurt, but there's lots of help for you out there if you want it. Men aren't evil, and I hope someday you can see that. I have 2 sons, one 19 and one 16 and they're fine, good men who have been raised to respect others and I can assure you, they're not in the minority
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2015, 01:10 PM

5,758 posts, read 11,639,313 times
Judicial standards of proof are tricky in rape and molestation cases, and a lot of suspects have been wrongfully sent to prison in relation to such allegations.

What happens fairly often (though judges will deny it) is that a case will come before the court where the facts are simply not very clear. The judges/jurors are reluctant to simply acquit or throw out the case, because they suspect that the defendant might be guilty. But they also have their doubts, so they don't necessarily want to toss him away for good, because they don't have that level of confidence in their judgment.

So they try to "split the difference" and send the defendant away for a few years, but not for any longer than that.

That's not how the system is supposed to work in theory, but theory and practice are often quite far from each other.

Old 02-08-2015, 01:18 PM

6,542 posts, read 4,096,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeaceAndLove42 View Post
So according to that, rapists get on average 5 years, I bet it's SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO horrible for them

The fact that rape sentences are so light is a travesty and just goes to show even in America most men don't view rape any worse than the Taliban. F'n male judges/politicians deserved to be butt raped for at least a year, maybe then they'll start giving a f'n ****!
5 years is a long fricken time. I don't get why people act like prison sentences like that are somehow merciful. They're not. That's 5 years of being stuck in the same location. I think people have this idea that all criminals are truly evil and deserve life in prison, but that's simply not the case.

Yes, rape is a serious crime. Probably the second most serious overall, murder being the first. But prison is a place to punish and rehabilitate, or at least it should be. I'd argue that the vast majority of people could be rehabilitated in a year or less. Yes, a year is probably too generous for a rapist, but 5 years isn't exactly merciful. 5 years is half a decade. Where were you 5 years ago? I was high school. A Freshman in high school. In 5 years time, I've graduated high school and started my college career. Five yeas isn't a short time.

Personally, I believe the maximum prison sentence possible (extreme circumstances aside) should be 20-25 years. Anything more than that is excessive. No person should require more than two decades to learn a lesson.

Rape is a serious crime. I don't think anyone actually disagrees. But circumstance has to be taken into account. Rape is horrible for the victim, and they need as much support as we can possibly offer to help them get through the tragedy they survived, but reasonably, most rapists are probably not pure evil. They did a terrible thing and exploited a person's weakness. But I can't with a good conscious say that all rapists are screwed up beyond repair. Most are probably a victim of some form of psychological abuse (which doesn't absolve them of guilt, just so we're clear) and could probably be rehabilitated to be completely normal people who don't pose a threat to anyone.

Old 02-08-2015, 01:37 PM

2,526 posts, read 3,052,917 times
Quote:
So according to that, rapists get on average 5 years, I bet it's SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO horrible for them

The fact that rape sentences are so light is a travesty and just goes to show even in America most men don't view rape any worse than the Taliban. F'n male judges/politicians deserved to be butt raped for at least a year, maybe then they'll start giving a f'n ****!
The average sentence for sexual assault is nearly as long as that for homicide! Sentences for aggravated assault are significantly lower. The increasingly tenuous nature of sexual assault definitions, and the grey areas surrounding many accusations, further muddle the picture.

It's one thing to argue that sentences for all violent crimes are too short, it's another to perpetuate a political gender war by appealing to the mythology of "rape culture".

Old 02-08-2015, 01:54 PM

12,275 posts, read 7,144,139 times
I don't think rapists should even be put in jail. Prison is basically Criminal University, and 5 years in it ensures two things: 1) that they've learned how to be a harder criminal, and 2) that they have plenty of time once released to put into practice what they've 'learned'.

Better to castrate them, and then have them register as a predatory sex offender. That would make it very difficult for them to reoffend again, and they would never forget the error of their ways.

Old 02-08-2015, 01:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohhwanderlust View Post
I don't think rapists should even be put in jail. Prison is basically Criminal University, and 5 years in it ensures two things: 1) that they've learned how to be a harder criminal, and 2) that they have plenty of time to put into practice what they've 'learned'.

Better to castrate them, and then have them register as a predatory sex offender. That would make it very difficult for them to reoffend again, and they would never forget the error of their ways.
How is doing both necessary? No person who is castrated is likely to offend again for obvious reasons. Why put them on a public registry? One or the other; both is excessive.

Old 02-08-2015, 01:57 PM

20,524 posts, read 15,909,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohhwanderlust View Post
I don't think rapists should even be put in jail. Prison is basically Criminal University, and 5 years in it ensures two things: 1) that they've learned how to be a harder criminal, and 2) that they have plenty of time to put into practice what they've 'learned'.

I disagree there since most "rape" is about power, NOT sex. Cutting a psycho's balls off won't stop him from doing something real bad again and some castrated dudes are still horn dogs and CAN have sex. Better to lock the forcible rapists up.

Old 02-08-2015, 02:01 PM

78,434 posts, read 60,628,324 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greywar View Post
The average sentence for rape is 65 months. Federal pot average is 42 months...with no parole. Homicide average is 71 months.

frontline: busted - america's war on marijuana: match the crime to the time
Please OP...take note of the above.

Rather than rely on emotion and perception bias, the internet is full of useful information that can help you properly analyze the situation before blaming male judges.

Great post greywar.

Old 02-08-2015, 02:07 PM

78,434 posts, read 60,628,324 times
Quote:
Sure seems like either we have some men here that have raped, thought about raping, or just don't care if women are raped.
So now that you've made a fool of yourself in the thread, one that you started because you didn't even have the right information....you start lashing out calling people rapists etc.

Class act.

Class act.

#golfclap

Old 02-08-2015, 02:22 PM

Quote:
Well, I was talking about just out an about. Men don't typically get grabbed off the street by other men and get raped. As for those that get raped in jail, so what? They obviously did something to deserve it.
This is the type of thing that will undermine anything you say. Saying someone deserves something like that is cruel and shows absolutely no humanity in you. Then you go on to condemn people on this thread who say not all rapes should be treated as acts of pure evil. This is a massive contradiction in your views, believing some people deserve rule treatment while others do not.

A rapist does not deserve to be raped any more than a rape victim does. When we start to think like that, we lose our humanity and are no better than the person who committed the crime in the first place.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies