Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-17-2015, 03:36 PM

38,936 posts, read 23,903,106 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by vvega View Post
Make welfare recipients "earn" their benefits by doing something and anything. If there's absolutely nothing to do, have them move rocks from right to left and then back from left to right, unless they have a proven job interview. You'll be amazed how many will refuse because they have better sources of income.
Yes because welfare (including unemployment) pays better than the part-time low wage jobs created. If you make $7.90 an hour (AZ's minimum wage) and work 28 hours a week you make a gross $221.2 a week (you'll lose about $15 of that to payroll taxes and withholding) so if say AZ unemployment is $240 (the maximum allowance) OF COURSE YOU'LL take the unemployment. Also with the way welfare is $221.2 over 52 weeks is 11,502 which is higher than the poverty line by a small margin an in a more economic libertarian state like Arizona, you won't be able to get benefits by taking the job. You lose money by taking the job.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2015, 03:37 PM

31,290 posts, read 20,744,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkpunk View Post
I don't deny that there are people who do abuse the system, the issue is how do we address the abuse?:
Easy. Eliminate welfare. Problem solved.

Old 02-17-2015, 03:38 PM

2,798 posts, read 2,991,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkpunk View Post
Yes because welfare (including unemployment) pays better than the part-time low wage jobs created. If you make $7.90 an hour (AZ's minimum wage) and work 28 hours a week you make a gross $221.2 a week (you'll lose about $15 of that to payroll taxes and withholding) so if say AZ unemployment is $240 (the maximum allowance) OF COURSE YOU'LL take the unemployment. Also with the way welfare is $221.2 over 52 weeks is 11,502 which is higher than the poverty line by a small margin an in a more economic libertarian state like Arizona, you won't be able to get benefits by taking the job. You lose money by taking the job.
I agree, the minimum wage should be raised.

Old 02-17-2015, 03:39 PM

31,290 posts, read 20,744,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
So what? If a person is frauding the system, their color shouldn't matter.
This is true. In fact, it's true about almost all topics.

Old 02-17-2015, 03:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadking2003 View Post
I thought the topic was welfare abuse, not drug abuse.
People think that those on welfare that use drugs are abusing welfare too along with the welfare queens.

Quote:
So, how did you find this information? Did you do a sting operation? Please share your data.
How else do you find people that are defrauding food stamps whether it is selling them or using them on wrong items? It's typically found through stings. A local station ran one for those that sold food stamps for money (I am unsure if they were reported to authorities though.)

Old 02-17-2015, 03:44 PM

549 posts, read 457,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scratchie View Post
I agree, the minimum wage should be raised.
And see even more people lose jobs and get on welfare.

Old 02-17-2015, 03:59 PM

3,304 posts, read 2,173,155 times
If welfare disappeared tomorrow, we'd see riots in the streets worse than the Ferguson, L.A. and Watts riots put together.

Old 02-17-2015, 04:07 PM

73,024 posts, read 62,622,338 times
Quote:
This is true. In fact, it's true about almost all topics.
I am well aware of the welfare statistics, crime statistics, and other stats in regards to race. However, such topics are often brought up mainly as a method of venting one's anger at a particular group. I get that things like crime and lack of productivity are not helpful.

If a man has committed a crime, and he is Black, at the end of the day, does really matter that he was Black? What does him being Black have to do with him committing the crime or why he did it? He did it, there was a reason he did it, and he needs to do the time. I would say the only way his race would be relevant is this: Alot of murders in this nation are Black on Black, and it gets to where many Black neighborhoods are hard places for Blacks to live in. It should be discussed in the context of "look, you are hurting your community, stop it".

All of this being said, if an individual does something stupid, it should reflect on that individual and his histrionics.

Old 02-17-2015, 04:09 PM

73,024 posts, read 62,622,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Supachai View Post
If welfare disappeared tomorrow, we'd see riots in the streets worse than the Ferguson, L.A. and Watts riots put together.
Strangely enough, I would agree with you on this. A professor once told me "when people in the country starve, they die, when people in the cities starve, they riot". You will have those who don't know how to get food any other way but taking from others. And then you have those who are opportunists.

Old 02-17-2015, 04:11 PM

Quote:
Easy. Eliminate welfare. Problem solved.
And many will likely die off because local charities wont be able to keep up. Does the government (on a state or nationwide level) want to be known as murders of their own citizens?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies