Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-17-2015, 11:48 AM

32,816 posts, read 19,483,709 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissTerri View Post
The manipulation and in many instances the misinformation and distortion of reality behind it is what's wrong.
but meanwhile you sit there and support the manipulation and misinformation from the:

anti-vaxxers
anti-gmo'ers
the chem-trailers
the anti-flouride'ers

they sit there and manipulate and misinform people like you, AND YOU RUN WITH IT...thinking the sky is falling and the gov'mnt/corps are out to get you

Old 02-17-2015, 12:46 PM

26,660 posts, read 13,746,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by workingclasshero View Post
but meanwhile you sit there and support the manipulation and misinformation from the:

anti-vaxxers
anti-gmo'ers
the chem-trailers
the anti-flouride'ers

they sit there and manipulate and misinform people like you, AND YOU RUN WITH IT...thinking the sky is falling and the gov'mnt/corps are out to get you
What do you think these groups have to gain?

Old 02-17-2015, 12:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vector1 View Post
If you take the time to read Attikisson's book you will see many documented examples of what the OP is saying. For instance, a drug manufacturer creating false propaganda to cover up bad side effects. Political operatives creating false studies/polls/organizations, then disseminating the false info through social media and fake so call neutral sources. This in turn will be picked up and regurgitated by the now lazy and liability worried mainstream news media.

Stonewalled: My Fight for Truth Against the Forces of Obstruction, Intimidation, and Harassment in Obama's Washington.: Sharyl Attkisson: 9780062322845: Amazon.com: Books

The extent to which business and/or political interests will go to spin the truth, or flat out lie under the pretense of 3rd party neutrality has reached epidemic proportions. If all else fails, they attack legitimate sources to try and discredit them, even investigative journalist who once were considered great when they were exposing issues with the other side. However they are suddenly treated like enemies of the state because they are exposing wrongdoing of their party now.

This book will open your eyes, even if you were skeptical of news/information sources before. There are things for both the right & left to be disturbed by, not the least of which is manipulation of the news media through obstruction, intimidation and corruption. Without a free, independent, and credible press/media, powerful interests will stop at nothing to achieve their agenda.
Great post. The bolded is an especially important point and reason for people to be concerned.

Old 02-17-2015, 12:52 PM

32,816 posts, read 19,483,709 times
Quote:
What do you think these groups have to gain?
the same old crap as always..to terrify the people

think back when you were posting about...OMG aluminum from vaccines is toxic and hurting people...you yourself were believing the crap misinformation that these terrorizing groups put out

Last edited by workingclasshero; 02-17-2015 at 01:01 PM..

Old 02-17-2015, 01:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by workingclasshero View Post
the same old crap as always..to terrify the people

think back when you were posting about...OMG aluminum from vaccines is toxic and hurting people...you yourself were believing the crap misinformation that these terrorizing groups put out
Terrify people for what end? What is their agenda? What does someone have to gain from say, warming people of the documented dangers of ingesting fluoride, something that has been put in the water supply?

Old 02-17-2015, 01:17 PM

79,907 posts, read 44,199,011 times
Quote:
Yes, you are. This well funded and well organized PR campaign was designed to sway the public into giving up their right to bear arms.
Because there aren't already millions of people that already hold that position? Also.....why should they not be allowed to do that? If they should be allowed, again, what is the point?

Quote:
Wrong. I am disturbed by how much fake news and fake information we are fed on a daily basis. I'm tired of people reacting to this fake news and the fake campaigns.
Just because you disagree with it does NOT make it fake.

Quote:
Your assumptions about me and my motives are way off base. Totally wrong.
So far you have done nothing to disprove them.

Quote:
Good for you. You still have no idea what astroturfing is though so until you try to gain a better grasp and stop being so hostile and trying to make this personal, I'm done talking to you.
You are the one attacking people for having a position that is counter to yours. Who should I address concerning that? I've completely agreed with you that the person who started this group was likely someone with a strong knowledge of the media and how to use it. So what? Is she not a mom? Are none of the participants, moms? There are no moms that want stronger regulations concerning guns?

I support many of the positions of the NRA despite the fact that I do not own a single rifle (or gun of any sort). Does that make my support of them less legit?

Old 02-17-2015, 01:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
Because there aren't already millions of people that already hold that position? Also.....why should they not be allowed to do that? If they should be allowed, again, what is the point?

Just because you disagree with it does NOT make it fake.

So far you have done nothing to disprove them.

You are the one attacking people for having a position that is counter to yours. Who should I address concerning that? I've completely agreed with you that the person who started this group was likely someone with a strong knowledge of the media and how to use it. So what? Is she not a mom? Are none of the participants, moms? There are no moms that want stronger regulations concerning guns?

I support many of the positions of the NRA despite the fact that I do not own a single rifle (or gun of any sort). Does that make my support of them less legit?
I have no idea why you keep posting here when it's clear that you either don't understand the topic or don't care about it. Usually when topic bores me I find something more interesting to do with my time.

I'm just going to repost this great post from vector.
Quote:
If you take the time to read Attikisson's book you will see many documented examples of what the OP is saying. For instance, a drug manufacturer creating false propaganda to cover up bad side effects. Political operatives creating false studies/polls/organizations, then disseminating the false info through social media and fake so call neutral sources. This in turn will be picked up and regurgitated by the now lazy and liability worried mainstream news media.

http://www.amazon.com/Stonewalled-Obstruction-Intimidation-Harassment-Washington/dp/0062322842

The extent to which business and/or political interests will go to spin the truth, or flat out lie under the pretense of 3rd party neutrality has reached epidemic proportions. If all else fails, they attack legitimate sources to try and discredit them, even investigative journalist who once were considered great when they were exposing issues with the other side. However they are suddenly treated like enemies of the state because they are exposing wrongdoing of their party now.

This book will open your eyes, even if you were skeptical of news/information sources before. There are things for both the right & left to be disturbed by, not the least of which is manipulation of the news media through obstruction, intimidation and corruption. Without a free, independent, and credible press/media, powerful interests will stop at nothing to achieve their agenda.

`

Old 02-17-2015, 01:23 PM

Quote:
If you take the time to read Attikisson's book you will see many documented examples of what the OP is saying. For instance, a drug manufacturer creating false propaganda to cover up bad side effects.
That is illegal. Are you calling for laws to make it doubly illegal?

Quote:
Political operatives creating false studies/polls/organizations, then disseminating the false info through social media and fake so call neutral sources. This in turn will be picked up and regurgitated by the now lazy and liability worried mainstream news media.
So it would seem that your complaint is with a lazy media. This I can agree with.

Quote:
And? What's the point? Execution? What are you getting at?

Quote:
Skeptical? I don't watch because I know they all only present what they want presented. This isn't something new. Even Cronkite admitted to this.

To the vegan, Kentucky Fried Chicken is not finger licking good.

How do I know that you aren't anything more than a pimp for the book publisher?

Old 02-17-2015, 01:25 PM

Quote:
I have no idea why you keep posting here when it's clear that you either don't understand the topic or don't care about it. Usually when topic bores me I find something more interesting to do with my time.

I'm just going to repost this great post from vector.
I fully understand the position. What I do not understand is you. Have I not discussed it? Isn't it you that have refused to answer the questions?

Old 02-17-2015, 01:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
I fully understand the position. What I do not understand is you. Have I not discussed it? Isn't it you that have refused to answer the questions?
Your posts have seemed hostile, mainly blaming me for caring about this. If you'd like to discuss this without the hostility and actually consider the points without trying to make it personal, I'd be more then happy to do that. As of now, I really have no desire to talk to you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies