Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-16-2015, 01:37 PM

11,403 posts, read 16,804,169 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WestCobb View Post
If the system is there for me when and if I reach retirement age, great. I have no issues paying into it. What I've heard my entire life though is that I will pay for it, and it won't be there for me. You can appreciate why I don't like this, right?
Then as someone said maybe it's time for a revolution and get those who don't pay taxes off the system.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2015, 01:38 PM

1,825 posts, read 1,422,836 times
Removing the cap will ultimately be how SS is :"saved" along with possibly forcing capital gains income to pay into it. The simple fact that people are always going to be paying into SS for the older generation assures its continuance politically since folks are going to be cross about paying into a system for 40+ years only to be told they don't get anything. Just look at what happens when Republicans wander into the political electric fence of social security "reform" they always fry politically.

Old 02-16-2015, 01:38 PM

41,813 posts, read 51,216,836 times
Quote:
Coal, you either accept SS as legitimate or you don't. You can't call it a Ponzi Scheme and then proclaim you're going to take what you're entitled to without implicating yourself as a criminal.
LOL, people duped or into or in this case forced into a Ponzi scheme are not criminals. It's the people that are orchestrating the Ponzi scheme that are criminals.

Quote:
Just because you got ripped off doesn't mean you're entitled to rip off some one else to get your money back.
....you are suggesting ripping off the boomers so you don't get ripped off.

Old 02-16-2015, 01:41 PM

11,403 posts, read 16,804,169 times
Quote:
Some states offer reduced real estate tax rates to seniors. Perhaps you should look into retiring to one of them. Another thought -- if you live in a good school district, your property value is higher so you are getting some benefit from paying for the local schools.
Tell me how living in a good school system is benefiting me with higher property value, since I don't have kids in the system and not selling.

Old 02-16-2015, 01:41 PM

12,997 posts, read 13,684,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
LOL, people duped or into or in this case forced into a Ponzi scheme are not criminals. It's the people that are orchestrating the Ponzi scheme that are criminals.

....you are suggesting ripping off the boomers so you don't get ripped off.
I personally think SS is legitimate. I just want to see one generation -- the over indulged bratty Boomers -- forgo their benefits so the system will remain healthy for future generations (like mine).

Old 02-16-2015, 01:43 PM

12,997 posts, read 13,684,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by camaro69 View Post
Tell me how living in a good school system is benefiting me with higher property value, since I don't have kids in the system and not selling.
Are you ever going to sell your house? As you well know, property values are largely determined by the quality of the local schools so your investment in the local schools could pay off some day.

Old 02-16-2015, 01:43 PM

2,395 posts, read 3,030,087 times
Quote:
If the system is there for me when and if I reach retirement age, great. I have no issues paying into it. What I've heard my entire life though is that I will pay for it, and it won't be there for me. You can appreciate why I don't like this, right?
Of course I can.

Personally, I think the chances of it going away are small. The political consequences would be extreme, so I don't think they would let that happen. When the pressure is high enough they will act. The problem is so long as they see it's an issue off in the distant future they they think they won't bear the consequences of it failing, but they would feel the consequences from voters that don't like the solution. We need to step up the pressure.

Have you written to your Congressman and Senators and asked them to get off their collective butts and fix the system? That should be your first step.

I think it's generally accepted that if it's not fixed in time we may be looking at a benefit reduction of somewhere in the range of 30%. That's a big deal, but it can be avoided by fixing the system now rather than waiting. We'll all be better off with a small set of adjustments now rather than a large adjustment later.

Dave

Old 02-16-2015, 01:44 PM

89,511 posts, read 45,185,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzy jeff View Post
I would say since half of the boomers at retirement age come from a households with less then 171K in assets, I would say most certainly most will need those SS checks to live off of.

Typical net worth by age: Where do you stand?
Interesting link.

This has been discussed before, but mot people will LOSE money on the SS deal. They'll get back less than they paid in, and that doesn't even take into account all the asset appreciation and interest they would have earned if that money had been invested, instead.

Social Security is a LOSING deal for most workers - AP

Old 02-16-2015, 01:44 PM

78,912 posts, read 61,095,586 times
Quote:
Too late brother -- you're money has already been spent. Why don't you do others a solid though and not take your benefits so they can keep their money instead of sending it to you?
How about if you just pay higher taxes instead?

Old 02-16-2015, 01:47 PM

89,511 posts, read 45,185,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Egbert View Post
Removing the cap will ultimately be how SS is :"saved" along with possibly forcing capital gains income to pay into it.
I doubt that will happen. People will lose even more on SS than they already do. Good luck getting voters to go for that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies