Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-20-2015, 11:53 AM

549 posts, read 456,758 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Egbert View Post
In otherwords you want to disinfranchise people for trivial things and or force people to make yearly trips to the DMV.

Again this reveals the true purpose of what the GOP is doing. They don't want people to vote.
1. You make it look like people marry and change state of residence every year. Sure...
2. If people don't update their DMV records to reflect their current address, their legal problems are beyond voting. Anyway, if anyone votes in a state while being registered to vote in another, it's a criminal fraud even under the current law.
Quote:
If you are a black and were born in the south prior to desegregation often records are poor and hospitals were segregated and thus closed to blacks as a result there are a fair amount of minorities who do not have proof of birth.
BS
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2015, 11:56 AM

52,433 posts, read 26,608,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Egbert View Post
.... racist.

One can almost set the clock by it anymore.

Old 02-20-2015, 11:59 AM
PDD

8,773 posts, read 18,381,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WaldoKitty View Post
Why such fierce opposition?

Easy Answer.

It detracts from their own failed agenda & accomplishments. When you don't have a record that you can run on, then create a false bogeyman to fight against.
So when you say failed accomplishment surely you don't mean the last to presidential elections or the nasty
ACA that most approve of.
What else you got?

I am no great fan of Obama though I am not a hater so as long as my stock portfolio keeps pace I'm OK with him.

Old 02-20-2015, 12:02 PM

52,433 posts, read 26,608,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PDD View Post
I am no great fan of Obama though I am not a hater so as long as my stock portfolio keeps pace I'm OK with him.
Obama's got nothing to do with that. You can thank the federal reserve for printing $60B/month out of thin air then using it to buy securities to prop up the banks & wall street. aka QE. They have to put that money somewhere. In regards to your stock portfolio, you better have a plan better than "Hope & Change" because remember it's a zero sum game. LOL.

Old 02-20-2015, 12:05 PM

1,825 posts, read 1,418,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRICITIESTITAN View Post
Again with the "minorities." Why assume that all minorities are too dumb to get an ID card. Are they incompetent in your opinion? I have confidence in them to do what they need to vote if it's something they truly care about.

You're calling conservatives racist? Pot...meet kettle.
I never said "all minorities are too dumb to get an ID card." Those are your words, I simply pointed out that in the south there was a history of not really caring about the minority population that resulted in people not getting birth records. Why New Photo ID Laws Mean Some Won't Vote : NPR Do you disagree?

Old 02-20-2015, 12:07 PM

23,868 posts, read 24,096,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PDD View Post
So when you say failed accomplishment surely you don't mean ... the nasty ACA that most approve of.
Never, in the entire history of the universe, has the public approved of that law.

Never.

RealClearPolitics - Election Other - Public Approval of Health Care Law

Old 02-20-2015, 12:08 PM

4,738 posts, read 4,433,082 times
So you are both ethically and morally okay with a system that is setup to "deter" a specific group from voting. Your reasoning is that it is okay because you, as someone not in the group, think the tactics that are being used aren't that hard to avoid.

You think its perfectly okay to judge people. . .to judge others and their lives. how very Christian of you.

Look - into my calculation of what is right and wrong, I don't give a damn why the targeted people can't/won't/don't have time to vote. I see no reason why this is important.

What is important is that Voting laws and regulations meant to stop a group of people from voting is unethical and should be illegal.

and don't talk about Fraud. . .Absentee voting is 2x the risk, and Republicans love it.

Quote:
Disenfranchise is the wrong word. Disenfranchisement implies that people are "deprived of the right to vote." No one is "disenfranchised." Deter may be a better word. And if Deter is the best word...and in this case it is...it's a question of laziness, incompetence, and a stunning lack of preperation.

Old 02-20-2015, 12:09 PM

46,001 posts, read 35,165,951 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lvoc View Post
You guys do have trouble with facts. The groups most impacted by voter ID were found to be blacks and the young. Fact Read the GAO report.

I know of no substantial issue with voting without ID. The one big set of illegal voters in south Florida all had ID.
Another issue with voter ID laws is they often times try to prevent college students from voting in the state they are going to college in. Also, a photo ID is useless when trying to prove if someone can vote or not, all it does is identify if the person matches the picture. If a person is voting mail in, then a photo ID can't even do that.

Old 02-20-2015, 12:10 PM

1,825 posts, read 1,418,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverBulletZ06 View Post
So making trips to the DMV for an hour is "disenfranchising". Off to check your past replies on any and all gun-related threads.
Please find gun thread posts of mine that say that I want people to make trips to the DMV. Otherwise stop being baseless.

Quote:
Why is proving that you are who you say you are and that you live in the state you wish to vote in "Trivial" in our state based elections?
You do this when you register to vote or in lieu of that during your first time voting. Why do you need to do it repeatedly except to stop people who can vote from voting?

Quote:
Originally Posted by vvega View Post
1. You make it look like people marry and change state of residence every year. Sure...
2. If people don't update their DMV records to reflect their current address, their legal problems are beyond voting. Anyway, if anyone votes in a state while being registered to vote in another, it's a criminal fraud even under the current law.

BS
Students often do change residence every year, its called living in a dorm and people do get married. Those are facts. As to updating DMV addresses there is almost always an exception for students.
Quote:

One can almost set the clock by it anymore.
I wasn't the one who said

Quote:
Yet they seem to have no trouble proving it to get government assistance. I'm thinking this thing, about Black disenfranchisement, is mostly nonsense.
That was you and a certain Mississippi legislature I wonder are you one in the same.

http://thinkprogress.org/election/20...taken-context/

Any other conservative trash I need to take out in this thread for now.

Old 02-20-2015, 12:12 PM

549 posts, read 456,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisFromChicago View Post
So you are both ethically and morally okay with a system that is setup to "deter" a specific group from voting.
Absolutely! The "specific group" are illegal voters.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies