Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-22-2015, 06:25 PM

5,660 posts, read 5,089,458 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by carlbenator View Post
How do you know you're not still aware and in pain for several minutes when your head has been detached?
Has anyone ever complained?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2015, 06:27 PM

15,823 posts, read 12,467,310 times
Quote:
How do you know you're not still aware and in pain for several minutes when your head has been detached?
Do you really stay conscious after being decapitated? - HowStuffWorks
To determine whether decapitation, a common method of euthanizing lab rats, is humane, the researchers connected an EEG machine to the brains of rats, decapitated them and recorded the electrical activity in the brain after the event. The Dutch researchers found that for about four seconds after being separated from the body, the rats' brains continued to generate electrical activity between the 13 to 100-Hertz frequency band, which is associated with consciousness and cognition, defined as "a mental process that includes thinking" This finding suggests that the brain can continue to produce thoughts and experience sensations for at least several seconds following decapitation -- in rats, at least.

http://science.howstuffworks.com/sci...apitation3.htm
Perhaps most famously was the study conducted by a Dr. Beaurieux in 1905 of the head of executed criminal Henri Languille. Over the course of 25 to 30 seconds of observation, the physician recorded managing to get Languille to open his eyes and "undeniably" focus them on the doctor's twice by calling the executed man's name

Old 02-22-2015, 11:15 PM

2,187 posts, read 1,383,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katzpaw View Post

Implications of Consciousness after Decapitation - Do you really stay conscious after being decapitated?
Perhaps most famously was the study conducted by a Dr. Beaurieux in 1905 of the head of executed criminal Henri Languille. Over the course of 25 to 30 seconds of observation, the physician recorded managing to get Languille to open his eyes and "undeniably" focus them on the doctor's twice by calling the executed man's name
This story is probably false like others of the same type. Just a few seconds without oxygen and your brain is put to sleep.

I agree the guillotine is the best option and is humane. Cheap, reliable, painless and quick. The use of gasses and drugs spares us the violence and the sight of blood while it puts the sentenced through horrible pain. The horrible vision of seeing a head violently detached from the body would cause the opposite effect because it would be a formal warning to potential criminals while not making the sentenced suffer.

Old 02-22-2015, 11:33 PM

109 posts, read 74,608 times
Why not a 20mm rifle to the brain stem? Your head is disintegrated in an instant before your pain receptors even have a chance to kick in.

Old 02-22-2015, 11:39 PM

2,078 posts, read 1,029,067 times
Quote:

O well they lose all rights when they commit the crimes they commit.

Old 02-23-2015, 12:27 AM

731 posts, read 1,579,945 times
I hate to know a man, who in 1999, shot and buried a woman alive suffered during an execution. This was the Oklahoma "botched" execution. I don't the skinny about the cases in the other states. I understand an experimental drug Midazolam was used. My thoughts are why was protocol changed ? Why wasn't the usual sodium thiopental used? Never heard of the previously used drug combination going awry. That is the biggest issue to me. We're they experimenting in secret? I really don't care if those people who commit heinous murders suffer or not.
The "suffering" in the OK case was probably extended for 43 minutes because they tried to stop the potassium infusion used to stop his heart, when the man started reacting or struggling. Just my opinion, but they shouldn't have tried to save him while they were trying to kill him.
Lethal injection is the humane way to execute, better way to go than how some of their victims went. Maybe murderers should be given the same death they gave to their victims.

Old 02-23-2015, 12:47 AM

15,823 posts, read 12,467,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinynot View Post
Lethal injection is the humane way to execute, better way to go than how some of their victims went. Maybe murderers should be given the same death they gave to their victims.
Law and the constitution prevent the state from inflicting "cruel and unusual punishment" in executions. The old methods (hanging, firing squads) were fine but Americans like to complicate things - from voting machines (instead of x's on paper) to drug injection contraptions, pivoting beds, and push button curtains in the death chamber.

Old 02-23-2015, 01:02 AM

14,767 posts, read 17,116,607 times
This thread reminded me of this

Old 02-23-2015, 02:18 AM

33,016 posts, read 27,464,007 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hyperthetic View Post
Global warming!

This is the first time I've heard CO blamed for global warming.

Old 02-23-2015, 02:22 AM

52,431 posts, read 26,636,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Workin_Hard View Post
Has anyone ever complained?
There have been experiments done with asking the condemned to blink eyes, stare at something, respond to name being called, that seem to indicate that death is not instant.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies