Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-24-2015, 08:18 AM

4,677 posts, read 5,772,858 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckmann View Post
You people are mean.

Why not just use the State of Oregon suicide pill?

Almost all assisted suicides take place in the home, with at least one health-care worker present. The patient takes one of two kinds of barbiturates. Seconal costs about $125 for a lethal 10 gram dose, which comes in the form of 100 individual caplets that must be broken apart to produce about three tablespoons of powder. Nembutal comes in a more convenient liquid form. It costs more than $1,000 for a dose, though, and insurance almost never covers lethal drugs.

Life, and death, should be simple.
That is exactly what they were using. Nembutal is the brand name for Pentobarbital and Seconal is the brand name for Secobarbital; those are the two drugs previously used for lethal injection.
The problem is that the companies that own the patents on those drugs now refuse to allow them to be used for executions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2015, 08:41 AM

13,306 posts, read 7,879,354 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marigolds6 View Post
That is exactly what they were using. Nembutal is the brand name for Pentobarbital and Seconal is the brand name for Secobarbital; those are the two drugs previously used for lethal injection.
The problem is that the companies that own the patents on those drugs now refuse to allow them to be used for executions.
Those patents should have long expired.

Old 02-24-2015, 04:13 PM

6,104 posts, read 5,995,865 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ncole1 View Post
With all of the news about botched executions and the controversies over even hydrogen cyanide, why not just use hydrogen sulfide gas?

Actually, I've wondered why we don't use the cheapest and most painless gas to kill convicted felons receiving the death penalty, CARBON MONOXIDE. Introduced into he lungs by a mask it could be introduced into a air mix in a small amounts so the sensation of suffication is suppressed and the prisoner would slowly go to sleep and then die. Just like many do unintentionally due to a faulty gas or oil heating system or in a malfunctioning motor vehicle.

Old 02-24-2015, 04:27 PM

2,137 posts, read 1,904,529 times
why don't we use cigarettes to execute them? Apparently they have over 400 different toxic poisons in them.

Old 02-24-2015, 06:12 PM

10,016 posts, read 12,587,736 times
How about a 1000 ton press while standing on a quarter inch mesh screen. Easy disposal also. Just hose the remains down the drain.

Old 02-26-2015, 08:16 PM

731 posts, read 1,580,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marigolds6 View Post
Nembutal is not the brand name of....yes it is!
Seconal is a brand name for secobarbital; a rather powerful narcotic; but I doubt ...yes it is!

In looking at your posts, I see you are posting that Oregon used those drugs, maybe the Dr. did that for home euthanasia, that is what was mentioned in one post.

Oh... I had to edit my post, I did go take a look at Nembutal and Seconal, and they were used in the anesthetic phase of lethal injection, however, they provide a short time period of sleep.
I know that morphine is used to depress respiration and manage pain in terminal patients, sure didn't know Nembutal and Seconal were used, possibly an Oregon system of pain management.

I'm so confused. I am forgetting all the things that I thought I knew, but I really didn't know at all. I need to check myself more often.

Last edited by tinynot; 02-26-2015 at 08:44 PM..

Old 02-26-2015, 09:20 PM

4,677 posts, read 5,772,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hyperthetic View Post
Those patents should have long expired.
You are totally right. I should have said, "the only manufacturers for those drugs". Patent is not a factor.

Old 02-26-2015, 09:29 PM

78,863 posts, read 46,676,690 times
Quote:
With all of the news about botched executions and the controversies over even hydrogen cyanide, why not just use hydrogen sulfide gas?

Why not a copper jacketed pebble of lead and a reusable tool to administer it.

Old 02-27-2015, 05:25 AM

13,621 posts, read 12,740,698 times
Quote:

guillotines are more humane and green, they kill instantly, they are easy to clean, blades can be sharpened thousands of times, and they rarely stick..

Old 02-27-2015, 06:32 AM

731 posts, read 1,580,594 times
Curran, we do have the issue of blood and nasty HIV to take into consideration. Surely, when chopping on the block, blood would shoot out an artery for a minute. Too barbaric.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies