Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-23-2015, 06:11 PM

1,160 posts, read 713,956 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
I am very well aware of that, which is why I did not say profit, I said revenue. What a profit of a McDonalds is per week, I am unaware of, but I do know a ballpark idea what the revenue is.

McDonalds is suffering right now because of consumers are changing their eating habits, not because of their pay scale.

Two companies have proven that paying more can actually be a benefit to their companies.

Starbucks/Chiplote: High Margin business, can pay for better workers.

McDonalds: Low Margin business, can't pay for better workers

You are comparing apples to oranges. People who go to McD's go there for cheap fast food, cost is the primary driver of traffic. People who goes to Starbucks go for high quality coffee, people dont visit Chipolte because its cheap or fast, they go because its quality food. In other words, they are separate business models. Its like comparing a 7-11 to Wal-Mart.

comically this is further evidence that "race to the bottom" line liberals keep talking about is bull****.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2015, 06:24 PM

46,001 posts, read 35,187,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by billydaman View Post
Starbucks/Chiplote: High Margin business, can pay for better workers.

McDonalds: Low Margin business, can't pay for better workers

You are comparing apples to oranges. People who go to McD's go there for cheap fast food, cost is the primary driver of traffic. People who goes to Starbucks go for high quality coffee, people dont visit Chipolte because its cheap or fast, they go because its quality food. In other words, they are separate business models. Its like comparing a 7-11 to Wal-Mart.

comically this is further evidence that "race to the bottom" line liberals keep talking about is bull****.
Then that is McDonalds' problem. Maybe McD's should worry more about their quality so that they can compete with businesses that are taking profits from them. I thought right wingers supported a competitive market and letting the consumers decide which businesses succeed and which fail.

Old 02-23-2015, 06:25 PM

25,386 posts, read 35,546,439 times
Quote:
And yet we should be paying teachers more than that to begin with....not a good reason for not raising the minimum wage, it just makes out country look pathetic because we pay teachers so little. A substitute teacher where I live makes about $159/day, with teacher salaries starting at $35K in Oregon.
You didn't answer my question. Where does the money come from? My district doesn't pay subs $159/day. We can't afford that. So where do we get the money? Bake sales??...never mind Michelle Obama outlawed them. (Much to my chagrin....the science club used to make $100/day when we could sell donuts in between final exams....not anymore...now we don't have the fees to enter science Olympiad...not that that matters to Michelle O because the kids aren't going to eat those killer donuts....instead they eat nothing or candy or cakes brought in by friends...I'll get off my soap box now)

There are many places where people cannot simply come up with more money. What about senior citizens who hire house keepers and land scapers and people to shovel their snow? Where do they get the extra money to pay the extra wages of the people now making a lot more than they get?

You're not thinking this through. It'll never happen for good reason. Minimum wage increases need to be in small doses and the minimum wage needs to be relative to other wages. You hurt everyone if you try to do otherwise. There will be no winners here. Establishments paying minimum wage will raise prices as much as they can and then cut the hours of their employees or simply get rid of employees in order to avoid raising prices so much they lose customers.

Look at the history of the minimum wage. The highest it has EVER been is just over $10/hour in 2012 dollars and that was followed by a very rough recession. What is the logic for making it half again that much now?

If you really want to make more money, develop better skills. Employers don't have a problem paying people more who are worth more....except in education. There we try to pay the most educated who work the hardest the least because we simply do not value education. Raising the minimum wage won't change that either. They'll just get rid of a teacher so they can still afford subs. We'll all see our class sizes go up by 3 or 4 students and it'll be another 10 years before we get new books.

Old 02-23-2015, 06:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivorytickler View Post
You didn't answer my question. Where does the money come from? My district doesn't pay subs $159/day. We can't afford that. So where do we get the money? Bake sales??...never mind Michelle Obama outlawed them. (Much to my chagrin....the science club used to make $100/day when we could sell donuts in between final exams....not anymore...now we don't have the fees to enter science Olympiad...not that that matters to Michelle O because the kids aren't going to eat those killer donuts....instead they eat nothing or candy or cakes brought in by friends...I'll get off my soap box now)

There are many places where people cannot simply come up with more money. What about senior citizens who hire house keepers and land scapers and people to shovel their snow? Where do they get the extra money to pay the extra wages of the people now making a lot more than they get?

You're not thinking this through. It'll never happen for good reason. Minimum wage increases need to be in small doses and the minimum wage needs to be relative to other wages. You hurt everyone if you try to do otherwise. There will be no winners here. Establishments paying minimum wage will raise prices as much as they can and then cut the hours of their employees or simply get rid of employees in order to avoid raising prices so much they lose customers.

If you really want to make more money, develop better skills. Employers don't have a problem paying people more who are worth more....except in education. There we try to pay the most educated who work the hardest the least because we simply do not value education. Raising the minimum wage won't change that either. They'll just get rid of a teacher so they can still afford subs. We'll all see our class sizes go up by 3 or 4 students and it'll be another 10 years before we get new books.
All public teachers and substitute teachers are paid through state and local taxes. I didn't realize you were asking me that question, so sorry for not answering it.

Maybe you should be asking why your district and state allow for teachers to be paid so little. Do you have any idea how much a legal housekeeper charges? It is a lot more than minimum wage. As for landscapers and people who shovel your snow are still going to be independent contractors and can still charge whatever they feel is right. Also, people who shovel snow don't do it for cheap, I know a number of landscapers who make a lot of money shoveling snow in the winter.

Yes, if everyone wants to make more money, they should apply themselves and improve their skills, but that has nothing to do with increasing minimum wage to keep up with inflation.

Old 02-23-2015, 06:40 PM

25,386 posts, read 35,546,439 times
Quote:
All public teachers and substitute teachers are paid through state and local taxes. I didn't realize you were asking me that question, so sorry for not answering it.

Maybe you should be asking why your district and state allow for teachers to be paid so little. Do you have any idea how much a legal housekeeper charges? It is a lot more than minimum wage. As for landscapers and people who shovel your snow are still going to be independent contractors and can still charge whatever they feel is right. Also, people who shovel snow don't do it for cheap, I know a number of landscapers who make a lot of money shoveling snow in the winter.

Yes, if everyone wants to make more money, they should apply themselves and improve their skills, but that has nothing to do with increasing minimum wage to keep up with inflation.
I'm asking where the extra money is going to come from to pay everyone from the bus drivers to the custodians to the lunch ladies to the substitute teachers $15/hour when we don't sell a product for profit we can just hike the price on. What happens to grandpa when the nursing home has to pay the orderlies $15/hour and he doesn't get a SS increase to handle the new payment? Schools are not the only ones with issues if minimum wage goes up but our issues are real. Arguing about what teachers should be paid is moot because we aren't paid it and won't be paid it. A $15/minimum wage would just cut into our already restricted buying power.

Hiking minimum wage to $15/hour isn't keeping up with inflation. That's 40% higher than minimum wage has ever been in real buying power. Right NOW minimum wage is about average for the years we've had minimum wage WRT buying power. Given that housing prices today are about what they were 20 years ago, I'm not really seeing the issue here. Inflation has been low. It's not like the 1980's when we saw double digit inflation and mortgages at 12%.

Old 02-23-2015, 07:05 PM

Quote:
I'm asking where the extra money is going to come from to pay everyone from the bus drivers to the custodians to the lunch ladies to the substitute teachers $15/hour when we don't sell a product for profit we can just hike the price on. What happens to grandpa when the nursing home has to pay the orderlies $15/hour and he doesn't get a SS increase to handle the new payment? Schools are not the only ones with issues if minimum wage goes up but our issues are real. Arguing about what teachers should be paid is moot because we aren't paid it and won't be paid it. A $15/minimum wage would just cut into our already restricted buying power.

Hiking minimum wage to $15/hour isn't keeping up with inflation. That's 40% higher than minimum wage has ever been in real buying power. Right NOW minimum wage is about average for the years we've had minimum wage WRT buying power. Given that housing prices today are about what they were 20 years ago, I'm not really seeing the issue here. Inflation has been low. It's not like the 1980's when we saw double digit inflation and mortgages at 12%.
Um, clearly you have no idea how much it costs to be in a nursing home. I am not worried about how they will pay their orderlies because they are already charging the elderly out the nose to begin with.

As for where the extra money will come from to pay your school teachers more than the really low pay they currently receive....guess you guys should try caring more for the education in your district.

We haven't raised the federal minimum wage since 2009. If nothing else, it needs to be raised for the 6 years that it hasn't been raised.

Old 02-23-2015, 07:05 PM

3,792 posts, read 2,386,010 times
Quote:
I'm asking where the extra money is going to come from to pay everyone from the bus drivers to the custodians to the lunch ladies to the substitute teachers $15/hour when we don't sell a product for profit we can just hike the price on. What happens to grandpa when the nursing home has to pay the orderlies $15/hour and he doesn't get a SS increase to handle the new payment?
Taking care of grappa yourself anyone? SSI would go up too.
Quote:
Schools are not the only ones with issues if minimum wage goes up but our issues are real. Arguing about what teachers should be paid is moot because we aren't paid it and won't be paid it. A $15/minimum wage would just cut into our already restricted buying power.
The tax base would go up. So you'd have the revenue for a raise.
Quote:

Hiking minimum wage to $15/hour isn't keeping up with inflation.
Driving inflation with the minimum wage law.
Quote:
That's 40% higher than minimum wage has ever been in real buying power. Right NOW minimum wage is about average for the years we've had minimum wage WRT buying power. Given that housing prices today are about what they were 20 years ago, I'm not really seeing the issue here. Inflation has been low. It's not like the 1980's when we saw double digit inflation and mortgages at 12%.
But the amount of money loaned out into housing has driven up the land value the bottom is feeling the squeeze.

Old 02-23-2015, 08:11 PM

33,016 posts, read 27,464,007 times
Quote:
Then that is McDonalds' problem. Maybe McD's should worry more about their quality so that they can compete with businesses that are taking profits from them. I thought right wingers supported a competitive market and letting the consumers decide which businesses succeed and which fail.

As long as there is a high level of income inequality, there will be a market at the bottom, e.g. dollar stores and McD's.

Old 02-23-2015, 08:19 PM

33,016 posts, read 27,464,007 times
Quote:
And how much profit does this McDonalds you own make per week? The average McDonalds makes $2.5 million in revenue. That is $48K a week in revenue. Let me know is that McDonalds can still afford that increase or not.

The home office gets a cut of everything a franchisee sells. Ray Kroc said he was in the real estate business, not the hamburger business.

Old 02-23-2015, 08:26 PM
FBJ

39,605 posts, read 59,025,740 times
$20 an hour minimum wage would mean

1. 10-20 hours offered a week by employers

2. Lower sales for fast food places leading to reduced staff

3. Less hiring
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies