Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-01-2015, 02:11 PM

24,260 posts, read 14,207,906 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by loriinwa View Post
And nothing about that case has anything at all to do with this case. The facts are not at all similar to this case. There was no legal action instigated by the STATE, a family business was not involved, the only pressure the florist is facing is from the STATE and the GLBTQQ+++ coalition.... So stop trying to create a fruit salad and stick to the facts in this case.
The facts are very similar.

Person refuses service to a protected class.

Person gets caught.

Person claims "religious belief" to get around the law.

Person is told to follow the law.

Either "religious belief" is a legitimate cause to break the law, or it isn't.

Old 04-01-2015, 02:12 PM

428 posts, read 643,807 times
[quote=loriinwa;39047819

In fact, I don't see anywhere within Leviticus that hetero sodomy is deemed an abomination.

Do you need me to cut and paste Leviticus 18:22 to educate you on what the issue is for the florist?[/QUOTE]

more fairy tales.

Old 04-01-2015, 02:16 PM

506 posts, read 426,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Petunia 100 View Post
Do you feel I have been snide and insulting to you?
Your posts are quite reasonable and I do not think anybody could accuse you of being snide or insulting to the faithful among us. With other posters it is almost as if they give the religious myths people believe the same respect as they would beliefs in flying unicorns, gumdrop rainbows or leprechauns.

Old 04-01-2015, 02:31 PM

24,260 posts, read 14,207,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Petunia 100 View Post
Has she? Now that is interesting. It may be years before the legal proceedings have concluded. I will be watching with interest.
She filed in May 2013.

It appears that it was rolled into the original case.

The judge was very thorough, He covered the constitution, freedom of religion, freedom of expression, state law, state constitution, and still ruled against her.

http://documents.latimes.com/arlenes-flowers-judgment/

Old 04-01-2015, 02:49 PM

25,961 posts, read 22,126,936 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zelva View Post
IMO, anti-discrimination laws include the retail POS (point of service), and/but should NOT extend to the, individually contracted, extra-retail services sometimes offered (wedding cakes, flowers, photography, etc).

For example, merchants should sell anyone cookies or their wares, at the store, however, extra-retail services contracted specifically for your wedding fall under contract law, that includes WILLING PARTIES mutually agreeing to something very specific and customized, individual, unique events of/for specific parties (thereto).

Your wedding is (likely) not open to all retail customers to come join in, etc.

The fact that the contract may be discussed or arranged at the location of the retail establishment is beside the point of the contract that may be agreed to, and the laws that govern contracts.

Cookies for Sale = ALL welcome to buy all retail items on display

Wedding Cakes = contract for a unique and customized personal service (all parties agree to a contract, or not, based on price, religious connotations of the event, location, date, whatever --> so be it)

I LIKE what's going on in Indiana, Gov Mike Pence defends religious freedom law, trying to bring some sanity and balance to this issue.
You are SO on target and this is what people refuse to hear. It isn't about selling products or services that everyone just walks into an establishment to get but contracting or signing an agreement and taking part in an immoral event. People just seem to dense to understand this concept and it is so simple.

By selling a dozen cookies, you do not become a part of a celebration of sin like you do when you sign a contract to make a cake for an immoral union. Same with photography and flowers.

The country was founded on religious freedom and now, a teeny tiny minority want to take that away? Who is just so tired of it? Ignorance is bliss and the arguments are based on the fact that too many people are just ignorant about what is going on and listen to the hype. People think for yourselves. None of the religious freedom bills say one word about anyone in the LGBT community. Paranoia is a sign of mental illness.

Old 04-01-2015, 02:58 PM

6,977 posts, read 5,709,974 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnywhereElse View Post
You are SO on target and this is what people refuse to hear. It isn't about selling products or services that everyone just walks into an establishment to get but contracting or signing an agreement and taking part in an immoral event. People just seem to dense to understand this concept and it is so simple.

By selling a dozen cookies, you do not become a part of a celebration of sin like you do when you sign a contract to make a cake for an immoral union. Same with photography and flowers.

The country was founded on religious freedom and now, a teeny tiny minority want to take that away? Who is just so tired of it? Ignorance is bliss and the arguments are based on the fact that too many people are just ignorant about what is going on and listen to the hype. People think for yourselves. None of the religious freedom bills say one word about anyone in the LGBT community. Paranoia is a sign of mental illness.
So if i'm a restaurant owner and i feed a few steaks to a bunch of guys who are heading to a strip club to afterwards, am i "celebrating sin" or am i just trying to make a profit so i can keep the doors of my business open?

Old 04-01-2015, 03:02 PM

506 posts, read 426,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wall st kid View Post
So if i'm a restaurant owner and i feed a few steaks to a bunch of guys who are heading to a strip club to afterwards, am i "celebrating sin" or am i just trying to make a profit so i can keep the doors of my business open?
I think the guys would need to eat the steaks in a gay strip club for you to be part of the celebration of sin.

Old 04-01-2015, 03:03 PM

11,162 posts, read 7,637,791 times
I LIKE what's going on in Indiana, Gov Mike Pence defends religious freedom law, trying to bring some sanity and balance to this issue.

He is already asking the legislature to amend the bill he just signed. He now wants the law to be worded in such a way that it cannot be used to discriminate against LGBT.

Pence: 'Was I expecting this kind of backlash? Heavens no.' - CNN.com

18,381 posts, read 19,023,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnywhereElse View Post

sin and immoral are subjective. do not go into business serving the public if you don't want to serve all the public. as to "religious freedom" it seems to also be a bit subjective depending on who you ask. however the law is clear you can not discriminate.

6,977 posts, read 5,709,974 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redgrasshat View Post
I think the guys would need to eat the steaks in a gay strip club for you to be part of the celebration of sin.
LOL wow.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies