Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-09-2015, 10:27 AM
mm4 mm4 started this thread

5,711 posts, read 3,981,123 times

Advertisements

Quote:
When Paul was asked by a partisan AP reporter about his views on abortion recently, and what exemptions to a ban that he would support, he responded by noting how the debate is always framed to shoot down his opinions.

“Here’s the deal—we always seem to have the debate waaaaay over here on what are the exact details of exemptions, or when it starts,” said Paul, moving his hands to the left.

“Why don’t we ask the DNC: Is it okay to kill a seven-pound baby in the uterus?” Paul added.

“You go back and you ask Debbie Wasserman Schultz if she’s OK with killing a seven-pound baby that is not born yet. Ask her when life begins, and you ask Debbie when it’s okay to protect life. When you get an answer from Debbie, get back to me.” the Senator noted.

Wasserman Schultz DID reply, giving the following answer to reporters:

“Here’s an answer,” said Schultz. “I support letting women and their doctors make this decision without government getting involved. Period. End of story. Now your turn, Senator Paul. We know you want to allow government officials like yourself to make this decision for women — but do you stand by your opposition to any exceptions, even when it comes to rape, incest, or life of the mother? Or do we just have different definitions of ‘personal liberty’? And I’d appreciate it if you could respond without ’shushing’ me.”

In an appearance on CNN, Paul stood his ground and told Wolf Blitzer it appeared the Democratic leader wasn’t opposed to late-term abortions.

“Sounds like her answer is yes, that she’s okay with killing a seven-pound baby,” he said.
» Rand Paul Exposes DNC Head: “It Sounds Like She’s OK With Killing A 7-pound baby” Alex Jones' Infowars: There's a war on for your mind!

A lot of incredulous tweets follow.

Last edited by mm4; 04-09-2015 at 11:06 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2015, 10:43 AM

34,619 posts, read 21,631,426 times
This is going to be a productive and enlightening thread. lol

Old 04-09-2015, 10:48 AM

9,617 posts, read 6,067,889 times
Believe it, or not, earthlyfather agrees with Congresswoman DWS. All grants, federal, state and local, to Planned Parenthood, medicaid money; and any other government funding, at any level government, associated with this 'health' procedure should be eliminated. This is simply the very best way to meet Ms DWS demand.

Of course a stringent forensic accounting audit of PP and any other impacted organization should be conducted first. So as to accurately ascertain the percentage of government funds being used to fund abortion activity. This will be fair to PP and their patients so government can continue paying for the other important health services.

No more pesky government influence. Thanks Congresswoman Schultz.

Old 04-09-2015, 10:56 AM

698 posts, read 588,163 times
Rand Paul is trying to appease the social conservative pro-lifers without ruining his faux libertarian street cred and not doing very well at it. Rand Paul has never been a libertarian, he is a social conservative trying to hide his true nature from voters. That is why even though I would never vote for them, I have much more respect for people like Ted Cruz or Mike Huckabee because they are not afraid to fly their true colors. IMO, Rand Paul is a smarmy, lying, deceitful scumbag.

The more he is forced to answer questions about his true positions, the more selective his appeal will become.

Old 04-09-2015, 11:11 AM

7,168 posts, read 5,368,672 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newtoks View Post
Rand Paul is trying to appease the social conservative pro-lifers without ruining his faux libertarian street cred and not doing very well at it. Rand Paul has never been a libertarian, he is a social conservative trying to hide his true nature from voters. That is why even though I would never vote for them, I have much more respect for people like Ted Cruz or Mike Huckabee because they are not afraid to fly their true colors. IMO, Rand Paul is a smarmy, lying, deceitful scumbag.

The more he is forced to answer questions about his true positions, the more selective his appeal will become.
Paul has too appease the social conservatives because his stance on foreign policy drives others away. He can't afford to lose the support of social conservatives and expect to win the nomination. The Paul's as far as I know have always been pro life so it was more palatable for him to stick with the red meat for social conservatives then to change foreign policy stances drastically.

Do I like it? no. I would have preferred Paul to be somewhat cool but not cold to social conservatives and try to win it with out them.

Old 04-09-2015, 11:22 AM

48,502 posts, read 96,886,289 times
I don't see taking him taking any stance that the Pro life movement would vote for; really.

Old 04-09-2015, 11:31 AM

79,907 posts, read 44,231,797 times
I supported John Buckley here in WV for Senate last year. John ran on the Libertarian ticket.

I went to a get together he had at a local watering hole where a young lady asked him his position on abortion. He told her he was pro-life where she said she was glad to hear that as she wouldn't vote for him otherwise.

The local head of the (L) said later that he and John disagreed on this issue often but being (L) means you don't have to follow the beliefs that someone perceives you to have. That they agreed on most everything else and that was good enough.

Being gay John didn't stand a chance but all the same, easily the best candidate.

You can't have Liberty without Life.

Old 04-09-2015, 11:36 AM

9,298 posts, read 14,913,687 times
Rand Paul apparently believes that Libertarianism applies only to men. Everyone else better toe the mark.

Old 04-09-2015, 11:56 AM

2,083 posts, read 1,621,547 times
Her answer means she believes that a baby doesn't gain any rights until it leaves the birth canal. A baby born at 7 months is a person with legal rights, while a baby aborted at 7 months is a fetus with zero rights. As much as Liberals try to make this an anti-woman issue, I've never heard a pro-lifer argue they want to control women. We don't care what women do with their bodies; we care what they do with the person living inside their body.

In trying to avoid taking a stance, she made her stance quite clear. Women should have zero restrictions on abortion; as many as they want, as late as they want. But what should I expect, she's a lunatic.

Paul also brings up a good point. These gotcha questions are routinely pointed at Republicans and rarely at Democrats, hoping to torpedo a Republican politician if they can catch them off guard.

Old 04-09-2015, 11:59 AM

37,138 posts, read 42,234,436 times
I agree with DWS and think RP is trying his best to give 'em the old razzle dazzle.

I'm ok with someone "killing a 7 pound baby" just for the record, and I'll say it in any way you want to phrase it.

IF a woman and her Dr. feel it's the best recourse given whatever the circumstances are. I'm fine with the medical establishment setting their own standards based on whatever info is available. I don't have to know the details of those circumstances because it's not my concern. But I'll sleep better knowing it's not the general publics concern either, and they (and the politicians) will have no input.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies