Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-05-2015, 12:09 AM

4,361 posts, read 7,177,213 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaaBoom View Post
parasite (ˈpærəˌsaɪt)
n
1. (Biology) an animal or plant that lives in or on another (the host) from which it obtains nourishment. The host does not benefit from the association and is often harmed by it
A parasite is one species living in or on an organism of another species.

BTW, mothers are rarely harmed by their fetuses and harbor no immune response towards them. The fetus/child's direct dependency ends at the end of gestation. A parasite's dependency ends at the death of its host or itself.

Old 03-05-2015, 04:04 AM

865 posts, read 1,077,103 times
You've kind of vaguely alluded to the concept of 'sanctity of life', which is indicative of some degree of mysticism in your thinking. Therefore, it is questionable whether you can be a true atheist.

I think that being 'pro life' with regards to the question of the right to die is especially evil, because that imposes upon people a condition of slavery.

Old 03-05-2015, 04:25 AM

13,754 posts, read 13,322,930 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleveland_Collector View Post
A parasite is one species living in or on an organism of another species.

BTW, mothers are rarely harmed by their fetuses and harbor no immune response towards them. The fetus/child's direct dependency ends at the end of gestation. A parasite's dependency ends at the death of its host or itself.
Thanks for weighing in.

KaaBoom, wow.

Old 03-05-2015, 05:08 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,783,759 times
My religion, if any, is irrelevant to my support of an individual's right to control their body. It is the woman's decision to abort a pregnancy or not as she sees fit. It is none of my, or your, concern.

Old 03-05-2015, 06:10 AM

50,795 posts, read 36,486,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leavingIL View Post
With all the gay marriage and abortion stuff in the news, I figure I'd make this thread:

I'm a pro-life atheist. I oppose all wars by governments all the time, but endorse fully the right of individuals to protect themselves with proportionate means of defensive violence. I figure, therefore, if I oppose war, I cannot likewise be pro-choice. If life is valuable unto itself, what then is the difference between a fetus being killed and, say, someone in a vegetative state or with severe mental retardation being the victim of a government bombing operation?

As a side note, I also don't really think devoted homosexuality is right, either. It seems anti-nature, to me, and I can go on about what I think is right and wrong, but I'm not trying to convince anyone to believe as I do. Rather, I'm trying to provoke discussion. That said, I don't think government should have ANYTHING TO DO with marriage between any two (or more) people, and two (or more) grown adults have every right to enter into any consensual living arrangement they choose, and I would defend to the grave every gay person on Earth's freedom to exercise that right. I also would never in my life be rude to a gay person, nor suggest that they choose a different life path, as nothing could be less of my business.

Anybody else think similarly?
This belongs on politics, not current events.

Old 03-05-2015, 07:04 AM

14,375 posts, read 18,374,578 times
Quote:
Agreed. If they just repealed all of the crazy adoption hoops you have to jump through and allowed a free-market in adoption to form then they'd actually have a chance.
So you think instead of being aborted, fetuses should be commoditized on the free market??? Really? Yep, let's sell babies to the highest bidder! Not.

Old 03-05-2015, 08:07 AM

18,381 posts, read 19,020,549 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iaskwhy View Post
A newborn is incredibly dependant on it's mother's milk. It still feeds off the mother and depends on the mother. A newborn child cannot find it's own food. A newborn child that was just left would surely die. Human newborns are some of the most dependent newborns in the entire animal kingdom. In the wild, a newborn without it's mother is a dead newborn.

any one that wants to can care for a newborn. it doesn't "need" his biological mother to do that. with pregnancy the baby does need an individual person to grow and be born. in america no woman should be forced to go through a pregnancy, labor deliver, give up her child for adoption or raise it herself unless she is willing. a woman has every right to control her own reproductive organs according to her own values.

Old 03-05-2015, 08:12 AM

Quote:
With all the gay marriage and abortion stuff in the news, I figure I'd make this thread:

I'm a pro-life atheist. I oppose all wars by governments all the time, but endorse fully the right of individuals to protect themselves with proportionate means of defensive violence. I figure, therefore, if I oppose war, I cannot likewise be pro-choice. If life is valuable unto itself, what then is the difference between a fetus being killed and, say, someone in a vegetative state or with severe mental retardation being the victim of a government bombing operation?

As a side note, I also don't really think devoted homosexuality is right, either. It seems anti-nature, to me, and I can go on about what I think is right and wrong, but I'm not trying to convince anyone to believe as I do. Rather, I'm trying to provoke discussion. That said, I don't think government should have ANYTHING TO DO with marriage between any two (or more) people, and two (or more) grown adults have every right to enter into any consensual living arrangement they choose, and I would defend to the grave every gay person on Earth's freedom to exercise that right. I also would never in my life be rude to a gay person, nor suggest that they choose a different life path, as nothing could be less of my business.

being opposed to all wars does not equate with being pro life. neither has anything to do with one another. being pro choice is about an individual's right to govern her own reproduction.

war is made on people who are alive and living. unlike a fetus in a womb which is potential life until it is born.

"devoted" homosexuality is natural.

Old 03-05-2015, 08:16 AM

how does the op feel about capitol punishment? are the guilty just as "innocent" as all the deaths by war and abortion?

Old 03-05-2015, 08:40 AM

18,548 posts, read 15,586,958 times
Quote:

I am not pro-life, although I do think partial birth abortion is cruel and should be banned. My lack of belief in a deity has very little to do with it - it's more a matter of when "personhood" begins, and if and when a fetus can feel pain.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies