Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-06-2015, 09:55 AM

41,813 posts, read 51,097,922 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroMartinez View Post

When I was a pro-testing person, it was based upon wasting assets on drug uses. However, there are so many studies showing that drug testing would be a bigger waste of assets, my stance has been changed.
AFAIK the only real world example is Florida, few people failed the test and the media declared it a money waster. The larger number is those that refused to take the test, when they are included Florida saved about $30 for every dollar spent and that's only in about a 3 month span. There is also an unknown number of people that never applied because they knew of the testing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2015, 10:13 AM

34,619 posts, read 21,646,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Driller1 View Post
If I have to drug test to make my living.......IMO.....welfare recipients should do the same for their money.
Let me just make sure I understand this correct. You would rather the government spend more money than it would save to drug test welfare recipients just so that it will be "fair" to you since your insurance company requires you to perform drug tests?

Old 03-06-2015, 10:17 AM

34,619 posts, read 21,646,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
AFAIK the only real world example is Florida, few people failed the test and the media declared it a money waster. The larger number is those that refused to take the test, when they are included Florida saved about $30 for every dollar spent and that's only in about a 3 month span. There is also an unknown number of people that never applied because they knew of the testing.
Can you please post a link to this so that I can review it?

Like I said, my desire was based upon financial (tax payer money) reasons.

If it is true that it would save tax payer money by doing the drug tests, I would be in favor of it once again.

So far, everything I have read, which is by no means everything that is out there, said that it would cost more to do this.

I'm not the kind to dig in my heels so that I will not have to admit that I'm wrong. I've stated from the beginning what I've based my opinion on and why. If the facts I'm basing my argument on are not correct, that will absolutely cause me to evaluate my opinion again and possibly reverse it.

Old 03-06-2015, 10:24 AM

38,859 posts, read 25,572,093 times
Smile Do you support drug testing for welfare recipients?

I support drug testing for CEOs, bankers, and all Wall St operatives, as these individuals cause many orders of magnitude more damage to taxpayers than the sum total of all of America's working poor.

Old 03-06-2015, 10:26 AM

79,907 posts, read 44,267,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Driller1 View Post
None of our employees are FORCED to take a drug test..........they can just go home and look for another job.
And yet, you want to force others. I suppose people could resort to breaking into your house to feed their kids when things are down.

Old 03-06-2015, 10:27 AM

79,907 posts, read 44,267,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
They didn't save anything. The courts ruled it unconstitutional and threw the testing out.

Old 03-06-2015, 10:29 AM

2,137 posts, read 1,904,707 times
Quote:

Like I said, my desire was based upon financial (tax payer money) reasons.

If it is true that it would save tax payer money by doing the drug tests, I would be in favor of it once again.

So far, everything I have read, which is by no means everything that is out there, said that it would cost more to do this.

I'm not the kind to dig in my heels so that I will not have to admit that I'm wrong. I've stated from the beginning what I've based my opinion on and why. If the facts I'm basing my argument on are not correct, that will absolutely cause me to evaluate my opinion again and possibly reverse it.
About 800 people refused to get a drug screening because they

Politifact rates the claim false but acknowledges that many people refused to take the drug test (even more than claimed), their false is for the assumption that those people who refused it must be on drugs, being there is no way to know why they refused to take it. I wonder

Old 03-06-2015, 10:35 AM

41,813 posts, read 51,097,922 times
Quote:
Any of the articles you find that claim Florida lost money will only state the figures for those that failed the test. It was a very small percentage of the total that that were denied.

https://www.google.com/search?q=1600...utf-8&oe=utf-8

For specific analysis you can review this.

http://www.floridafga.org/wp-content...rter-Facts.pdf

Old 03-06-2015, 10:36 AM

2,137 posts, read 1,904,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
They didn't save anything. The courts ruled it unconstitutional and threw the testing out.
Pure politics, that weak and transparent argument cant hold up to the most basic of sniff tests. I'm not sure how you can even hold your head up after making it. You should be ashamed to resort to such corrupt logic.

Old 03-06-2015, 10:36 AM

12,997 posts, read 13,657,839 times
I don't support drug testing of welfare recipients, but I do support drug testing of shock jock radio hosts. Let's start with known drug addict Rush Limbaugh.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies