Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-07-2015, 12:13 PM

14,485 posts, read 11,300,255 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meowen View Post
The purpose of this thread was to highlight the significance of republicans signing on to support gay marriage. It's no surprise all these companies did the same.

Unfortunately my opinion as to why the republicans are doing this is cynical but at least they're doing it.
I believe the republican leadership wants marriage equality to be a non-issue in the 2016 campaign..they don't want to lose votes over it any longer (they can see the writing is on the wall and that Americans overwhelmingly support marriage equality. It's simple math really..it will be interesting to see what part of the party....my guess the tea party, will refuse to sign onto this new republican support of gay marriage. I'm hoping for the super conservative religious right wing to fight it tooth and nail and further divide the party, hopefully resulting in many more election losses down the road
There are no polls that show Americans overwhelmingly support gay marriage and the support doesn't exist.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2015, 12:19 PM

936 posts, read 2,071,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Joshua View Post
There are no polls that show Americans overwhelmingly support gay marriage and the support doesn't exist.
No polls you say???

"On another issue slated to come before the court this term, 63% of Americans say that gays and lesbians have a constitutional right to marry and have their marriages recognized by the law as valid. That's up from 49% in August 2010. Over that time, the share who see marriage as a constitutional right has climbed 15 points among Republicans to 42% and 19 points among Democrats to 75%.

The CNN/ORC International poll was conducted by telephone February 12-15, 2015, including interviews with 1,027 adult Americans. Results for all adults have a margin of sampling error of plus or minus 3 points."

Poll: Obama's approval ratings stagnant despite economy - CNN.com

There are many more you will find with a simple Google search

Last edited by Meowen; 03-07-2015 at 12:29 PM..

Old 03-07-2015, 12:33 PM

3,298 posts, read 2,478,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meowen View Post
my guess the tea party, will refuse to sign onto this new republican support of gay marriage.
Or perhaps the fiscal conservatives who originated the 'tea party' movement will wave bye-bye to the social conservatives who swamped it to the point of capsizing it.

Before 300+ Republicans signed this amicus brief, including Koch, somebody obviously had to have done the math.

Old 03-07-2015, 12:38 PM

79,907 posts, read 44,279,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bUU View Post
You're lying to yourself. If the Tea Party stays home, Republicans lose.
Wow, there is a deep statement. If fewer people voted (R) they lose.

Old 03-07-2015, 12:58 PM

38,647 posts, read 26,415,324 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
People today do not support my beliefs but that doesn't make it any less factual.

Because they took popularity into consideration.

And what do you think they will be doing when they give you what you want?

Live by the activist court, die by the activist court.

The amendment process was put in place to address issues like personhood, slavery and the state`s role in our personal relationships and religious affairs.

Old 03-07-2015, 01:02 PM

14,848 posts, read 8,222,350 times
Very few have ever truly believed in either rights or freedom. Those who advocate for SSM have no more interest in rights of freedoms as anyone else, and possible even less so.

Just a bunch of "statists" playing political games for votes.

Last edited by Ibginnie; 03-08-2015 at 04:28 PM.. Reason: copyright violation

Old 03-07-2015, 01:12 PM

3,298 posts, read 2,478,359 times
Stinky bait is stinky.

Old 03-07-2015, 01:17 PM

79,907 posts, read 44,279,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momonkey View Post
And what do you think they will be doing when they give you what you want?

Live by the activist court, die by the activist court.

The amendment process was put in place to address issues like personhood, slavery and the state`s role in our personal relationships and religious affairs.
It has nothing to do with what I want. There are many things the Constitution grants that I am not a big fan of but it beats the alternative.

To get it out of the way, I agree that the government discriminates but I am not for it and I believe much if not all of it is unconstitutional but are you of the mind that the government can and should discriminate?

Old 03-07-2015, 01:25 PM

31,077 posts, read 22,130,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjrose View Post
300 Republicans File Brief with High Court in Support of Gay Marriage

Seems that at least some republicans are on the right side of history.
They will change. Wasn't but a few years ago that most dems were against it including the pres depending on what speach he was giving. I don't even remember many gay people even considering it 20 years ago.

Old 03-07-2015, 01:32 PM

19,029 posts, read 14,234,433 times
Minor point:
If you need permission (LICENSE) - it is not a RIGHT.
If you have a right, you do not need permission.

There is such a thing as common law marriage, which does not require government permission to contract. (It does require the parties to have common law standing - but that's outside the scope of this reply).

There is no such thing as a common law gay marriage.

The simple reason is that throughout history, marriage (two party, three party, etc) was for the joining of property rights for the benefit of progeny. Once gay couples (or triples) gene splice progeny, then by all means MARRY property rights. Until then, gay marriage is like training wheels for fish.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies