Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-08-2015, 03:34 PM

2,846 posts, read 2,971,723 times

Advertisements

This is a serious question and I have no intention in bashing one or the other. To be honest, I watch MSNBC's morning joe in the AM, CNN during lunch, talk radio and 1010 wins in the car, and Fox in the evening. So I feel I get a well rounded dose of media and opinion. Also to be fair, I don't like extreme opinions and constant bashing. And actually, while living in Florida in 2005, I listened to both Air America and conservative radio and I always found that Air America was so nasty and it was like listening to sean hannity all day.

I think I am a reasonable person but tend to agree with many on the right. And many times, when some topics that a reasonable person would consider to be questionable come up, I find that the left really go out of their way to undermine it with counter points. For example, the Ben Netanyahu speech that has nothing or shouldn't have anything to do with bipartisanship and more concern for all but yet, the democrats really pushed back really hard rather than dealing with the substance. I was surprised at some of the democratic reaction. Even the tone the president took after the speech caught me by surprise.

Another thing is the differences in prime time cable news- I simply can't watch Rachel Maddow, Chris Hayes, Melissa Harris-Perry, the others. I find that they use this humor that I simply can't relate to. On the contrary, watching other news you find a more serious tone and asking sensible questions.

So is it hard wired? Do we think differently? Look, I understand it's politics but each side seems to be set on their views.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2015, 03:38 PM

46,302 posts, read 27,117,053 times
No, it's how you are taught.

Same as racism, you are taught racism....

Old 03-08-2015, 04:06 PM

15,080 posts, read 20,479,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by halfamazing View Post
are we trully hardwired- conservatives vs liberals?
It's not the hardware - it's the software.

[political programming]

Old 03-08-2015, 04:47 PM

45,584 posts, read 27,203,264 times
It's to the politicians advantage for the people to cancel themselves out and not be united. Then they can do what they want while we fight amongst ourselves.

Old 03-08-2015, 04:49 PM

6,790 posts, read 8,200,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRob4JC View Post
It's to the politicians advantage for the people to cancel themselves out and not be united. Then they can do what they want while we fight amongst ourselves.
Exactly!!!!! Please people wake up. Forget about constantly fighting the other team, and pay attention to what your representatives are actually doing. Hint...they aren't working for you.

Old 03-08-2015, 06:41 PM

79,907 posts, read 44,222,338 times
It's possible. Politics were hardly ever discussed in my home. It's not so simple to say that racism is taught either. It is, but it's also in part human nature. There are many instances one can point out in nature where one group of whatever are naturally cautious of those that are different than they are in some way or the other.

Old 03-08-2015, 06:42 PM

2,777 posts, read 1,782,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by detshen View Post
Exactly!!!!! Please people wake up. Forget about constantly fighting the other team, and pay attention to what your representatives are actually doing. Hint...they aren't working for you.
Comments like these always seem so naive to me.

How exactly is one person supposed to represent everyone's interests at the same time?
How are you going to get 300 million people to agree on a single course of action?
Do you honestly think that solving the world's problems is that easy?

The reason I'm set in my views is because they seem reasonable, while opposing views do not. That is why I have the views I have.

I'm not going to compromise and say that someone who is ignorant or stupid deserves the same consideration as someone who is intelligent and understands the issue. That's just silly.

Old 03-08-2015, 06:53 PM

1,442 posts, read 2,564,903 times
I am probably like a lot of people - when I was young and dumb, I was a liberal - for Jimmy Carter. By the time we had 4 years of his ineptitude, and I was out of college and working, I became conservative, and more so as the years have gone by. That said, the extremes of the right, i.e. Sean Hannity, and a few others, turn me off. I find the most irritating are not the far left nut jobs on MSNBC, but those "reporters" on entities such as CNN, etc who pretend they are neutral, but then show liberal bias to the point that it's sickening and I find myself cussing them and changing channels.

Old 03-08-2015, 06:54 PM

45,584 posts, read 27,203,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spatula City View Post

How exactly is one person supposed to represent everyone's interests at the same time?
How are you going to get 300 million people to agree on a single course of action?

The reason I'm set in my views is because they seem reasonable, while opposing views do not. That is why I have the views I have.

I'm not going to compromise and say that someone who is ignorant or stupid deserves the same consideration as someone who is intelligent and understands the issue. That's just silly.
Two cases in point.

#1 - The authority to go to war in Iraq. Over 80% of the populace wanted it. It happened.
#2 - Dubai Ports deal in 2006 - We were still at war in the middle east and the public overwhelmingly did not want anyone from the middle east controlling six major shipping ports - and the people let the reps know about it. The people shot down that deal.

When the people are united, we get what we want. The problem is that it doesn't happen.

I honestly think that 70% of the population is not that far apart politlically.

Old 03-08-2015, 07:55 PM

6,790 posts, read 8,200,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spatula City View Post

Naive is blindly following partisan leaders assuming they know what's best instead of carefully considering each issue which is what far too many Americans are doing. Most of the posters on this site represent the absolute worst of what partisan politics has become. Politics is not a team sport where you unequivocally cheer for your team no matter what they do, and hate the other. Political decisions affect our lives in significant ways, the choices our representatives make can change the course of our country for better, or worse. It is up to us to make sure they make decisions they are best for the majority of Americans, not just the few who have money and influence.

Just because someone holds a different opinion does not mean they are ignorant, or stupid. This sort of knee jerk reaction to someone on the other "team," along with hyperbolic assumptions of what they about are a huge problem. We will never reach point where everyone agrees on everything, but we must stop fighting simply based on whether someone is on team D, or team R, or conservative/liberal. If instead we start actually discussing the issues with civility, and respect for opposing viewpoints, we have a chance at coming to a consensus on some of the most important issues.

Politicians, and the big money they represent want us to be too busy fighting with each other to question what they are doing, and who is receiving most of the benefits. Anyone who honestly believes that the problems of this country are all caused by the fact that there are too many Rs, or too many Ds in power, and it would all be fine if only their team had all the power is being foolish.

Last edited by detshen; 03-08-2015 at 08:11 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies