Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: how would you feel?
slightly worried 11 4.26%
afraid 3 1.16%
upset 16 6.20%
wouldnt care 228 88.37%
Voters: 258. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-10-2015, 06:01 AM

2,365 posts, read 2,149,295 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyRider View Post
They were either showing off or be in your face. There is no reason to have to pray right then and there.

If it was daybreak or sunset there would be. Ive seen Muslims on the ground at dawn to pray, nothing frightening about it. I wouldnt care.

Old 03-10-2015, 06:12 AM

2,296 posts, read 3,125,575 times
Mod cut: Quoted post deleted.

I have been in Germany since 2000 I have lived mostly in small villages but because of work I am now living between Mannheim and Heidelberg. I have no plan ever to go back to the US except for a visit.

I live, work, go to the gym... with lots of Muslims- Most I know are are not very religious, a few are. Some are friends; my Turkish neighbor just helped me fix car. I have been over to their houses for dinner and had them over to my place.

I actually have never seen anyone here pray in public. I have been to Berlin, nice to visit way too big of a city for me. Kreuzberg is no worse than parts of San Diego where I have lived. Wedding may be worse, dunno Berlin is far away.

There are problems, serious ones I won’t deny that but most of the Muslims I know personally are well integrated and productive members of society. I know in some inner-city areas it may be different, some areas are ghettoized but that if only a small part of the whole land. Again there are serious issues but a lot of it is right wing fear mongering. I suspect the longer they are here the more the majority will become secular and integrated.

A few Muslims from a radical sect took a member of your family not Muslims on a whole. Islam is as split as Christianity. When some radical right wing Christian kills someone for being gay that does not mean all Christians are murderers.

In your hate you are no better than the 911 terrorists- they have valid reaons to hate us too. I am all for hard military action against terrorists, Is... but the Turkish music teacher who helped me with my car, the friendly guy at the döner shop around the corner and lots of others have nothing to do with that.

Last edited by PJSaturn; 03-10-2015 at 03:17 PM..

Old 03-10-2015, 06:37 AM

22,146 posts, read 33,544,925 times
Nothing as far as reaction. They are praying.

Old 03-10-2015, 06:48 AM

29,483 posts, read 14,656,154 times
It depends. If they were off to the side , not forcing people to walk around them then they are free to do as they choose. If they are taking over a huge amount of area forcing people to walk around them because "they" have a right to pray...then I have a problem with it.
I really don't care what others do (within reason, and laws) but when it effects myself or my family , that is when I will have a problem.

Old 03-10-2015, 07:18 AM

8,275 posts, read 7,949,093 times
Should have been an option for "annoyed".

Old 03-10-2015, 07:25 AM

29,483 posts, read 14,656,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by War Beagle View Post
Should have been an option for "annoyed".
I agree.

I'm not a religious person, but to each their own. My opinion is if you are keep it to yourself. I just look at all the different religions and see what their followers have to do to show their "faith" and believe it's just silly sometimes.

Old 03-10-2015, 07:41 AM

1,285 posts, read 1,395,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GiGi603 View Post
I would be fine with it.

I was quite pleased when I hit the Poll Results that the results showed that it wouldn't bother 86.76% of people.
There is hope...
This is City-Data. It's not surprising at all.

Old 03-10-2015, 07:41 AM

50,374 posts, read 63,993,273 times
Its the same as if some Christians were saying grace in a restaurant. It makes me uncomfortable, but I'm not sure why. Jews wearing a yarmulke in public makes me feel that way too. I guess the way I was brought up is that public displays of ones religion is inappropriate. It feels like they are making a statement that they are "holier than thou".

Logically, though, I know Muslims are required to pray and I wouldn't expect them to go do it in the restroom, but surely there are exceptions to the praying rule in some circumstances?

Old 03-10-2015, 08:03 AM

16,569 posts, read 15,278,266 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kygman View Post
Instead of wanting to make a comment like Happy Rider's, I took the 10 seconds it took to google it.
"The compulsory prayers are five times a day: before dawn; at noon; in the late afternoon before sunset; after dusk; and at night before you go to bed. Refer to the Related Question for more information on praying time. It should be understood that each praying takes just a few minutes."
I can Google too.

Question: Can missed prayers be performed at a later time?

Answer:If a prayer is missed, it is common practice among Muslims that it is to be made up as soon as it is remembered or as soon as one is able to do so. This is known as Qadaa'. For example, if one misses the noon prayer because of a work meeting that could not be interrupted, one should pray as soon as the meeting is over. If the next prayer time has already come, one should first perform the prayer that was missed, and immediately after it the “on time” prayer.

Can Missed Prayers Be Performed at a Later Time?

Old 03-10-2015, 08:06 AM

16,603 posts, read 8,615,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 404Error View Post
..would you be worried, afraid, upset, or not care? not too long ago i saw a row of muslims praying in the waiting area at an airport. at first i thought, man those guys are going to have a hard time. then i thought, its a free country, they can practice as they please. i found it inspiring to see them put their beliefs before what people think. that takes a lot courage these days.

so what would your initial reaction have been?
To be honest, I'd say that just about any religious group praying (Buddhists, Catholics, Jews, etc.) would not give me pause. However due to the lunatic Muslims who commit terrorism in the name of their god, I'd have those type of thoughts for safety reasons.
I am all for them having freedom of religion and being able to worship whomever they choose. Yet I would have the aforementioned feelings. Still it does not mean I would harass them or even give them a dirty look.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies