Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-10-2015, 03:46 PM

17,440 posts, read 9,271,173 times

Advertisements

Every State in the Union has a procedure in place that mandates a License to get "married" -- that folks is a Civil Union by definition. You MUST have a Civil License to have a Legal Marriage. You are not "married" without that Licence - the "wedding" can be preformed by Clergy, Judge, Justice of the Peace, Captain of a ship -- whatever type of Ceremony is acceptable legally, but the Civil License is an absolute requirement.

It should be exactly the same way for same sex couples -- this is (and always has been) a Battle over a word - Marriage.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-10-2015, 04:03 PM

37,982 posts, read 22,157,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark Park View Post
Yesterday and today a news story that is widely reported by many sources is that over 300 prominent Republican leaders and politicians have signed a "Friend of the Court" legal brief in favor of same sex marriage to the US Supreme Court. The Court is going to hear arguments both pro and con on this controversial issue on April 28th. It is expected their ruling will be announced in late June.

Most people following the progress of marriage equality are aware that it is one of those "Culture War" issues that is generally supported by liberals and Democrats and opposed by conservatives and Republicans. Opposition to legalized same sex marriage was codified both in the 2008 and 2012 Republican National Platform.

Some of the notable Republicans who signed the legal Amicus Curiae in favor of gay marriage are former mayor Rudolf Giuliani of NYC, Kenneth B. Melman - former chairman of the Republican Party from 2005 - 2007 and George W. Bush advisor, and David Koch, the billionaire.

According to a Facebook group site called Republicans for Marriage Equality, others in the GOP who support it include former President George H. W. Bush (who signed as the official 'witness' at a gay wedding), Dick Cheney (who has a Lesbian daughter), Senator Rob Portman (OH), Congressman Charlie Dent (PA), Sen. Mark Kirk (IL), Sen. Susan Collins (ME) and former Gov. Jon Huntsman (UT).

Today the Pew Research organization published the results of a poll that indicate a majority of Republicans still oppose gay marriages, albeit in lesser numbers, but that a clear majority of younger Republicans aged 18 - 29 were in favor of legalizing it: 61%.

Presently same sex marriages are legal in 37 states and also in D.C.
The pro-gay marriage crowd like to crow about all the people moving towards approval of gay marriage, to bad the same people refuse to allow the states to amend their laws and state Constitutions to reflect gay marriage laws within their states. Nope, we need to ram it down everyone's throats thru the simple majority from a federal court ruling.

If gay marriage is gaining approval then why can't the people be left alone to decide??

Old 03-10-2015, 04:20 PM

23,856 posts, read 13,754,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whocares811 View Post
My opinion has been for years (almost ever since same sex marriage became an issue) that ALL two-person unions of a "permanent" nature should be officially registered for all legal issues (such as medical decisions, taxes, insurance, etc.), and then if anyone wants to have a religious or other kind of ceremony, also, fine.
This is the way it is now for heterosexual couples, and has been since the nation was founded. The religion part has always been strictly optional.

The argument is over whether same-sex couples should be able to get a marriage license. It just amazes me that people who complain that homosexual couples are "desanctifying" marriage are either completely ignorant of or are in complete denial about which entity actually issues marriage licenses.

Why an american of any religious persuasion whatever would think that government should have authority over which marriages are "sanctified" is also just beyond me.

I am glad to know that rs may be beginning to break up with the "god's law" people - although we certainly don't see this reflected in the current batch of r presidential contenders, with the possible exception of rand paul. Nevertheless, it's a start, and a welcome one.

Old 03-10-2015, 04:24 PM

4,472 posts, read 3,826,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stoke View Post
Yeah seems like a good idea to bail on the wrong side of history....

When their grandkids ask who the arseholes were who treated gays like second class citizens, they won't feel so bad.
Oh please, there will always be those against gay marriage even in our grandkids generation. It's such a tiny portion of the population(2%) that it will always be seen as abnormal by many. If 50% of the population were gay, then I would see your point, but most people still won't see gay weddings as the norm(because admit it, it's not).

Old 03-10-2015, 04:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidkaos2 View Post
I wonder how liberals are going to feel when their grandkids ask who the arseholes were who supported a guy who dismissed ISIS as a "JV team" and did nothing to stop them before they started beheading and burning people alive.
Also don't forget Obama was opposed to gay marriage at the beginning of his presidency...

Old 03-10-2015, 04:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark Park View Post
Yesterday and today a news story that is widely reported by many sources is that over 300 prominent Republican leaders and politicians have signed a "Friend of the Court" legal brief in favor of same sex marriage to the US Supreme Court. The Court is going to hear arguments both pro and con on this controversial issue on April 28th. It is expected their ruling will be announced in late June.

Most people following the progress of marriage equality are aware that it is one of those "Culture War" issues that is generally supported by liberals and Democrats and opposed by conservatives and Republicans. Opposition to legalized same sex marriage was codified both in the 2008 and 2012 Republican National Platform.

Some of the notable Republicans who signed the legal Amicus Curiae in favor of gay marriage are former mayor Rudolf Giuliani of NYC, Kenneth B. Melman - former chairman of the Republican Party from 2005 - 2007 and George W. Bush advisor, and David Koch, the billionaire.

According to a Facebook group site called Republicans for Marriage Equality, others in the GOP who support it include former President George H. W. Bush (who signed as the official 'witness' at a gay wedding), Dick Cheney (who has a Lesbian daughter), Senator Rob Portman (OH), Congressman Charlie Dent (PA), Sen. Mark Kirk (IL), Sen. Susan Collins (ME) and former Gov. Jon Huntsman (UT).

Today the Pew Research organization published the results of a poll that indicate a majority of Republicans still oppose gay marriages, albeit in lesser numbers, but that a clear majority of younger Republicans aged 18 - 29 were in favor of legalizing it: 61%.

Presently same sex marriages are legal in 37 states and also in D.C.
A Facebook page isn't a very good source.

Old 03-10-2015, 04:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shooting4life View Post

The problem is the media does everything they can to cast republicans in a negative light with gotcha questions by going to the real religious areas and the politicians do everything they can to obliged by saying dumb stuff.
Anyone is free to ask you, or anyone else, a leading question. No one is obligated to oblige the questioner by saying dumb stuff.

The problem is that many r pols are all too eager to say dumb stuff about gay people, apparently because they believe dumb stuff about gay people in particular, and sexuality in general. Which makes the rest of us wonder about the possibility that they believe really dumb stuff about *other* topics.

Old 03-10-2015, 04:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xboxmas View Post
A Facebook page isn't a very good source.
If you want a better source, you can find one. But then I have a google and I know how to use it. Unlike you, apparently.

Support for Gay Marriage Hits All-Time High — WSJ/NBC News Poll - Washington Wire - WSJ

Old 03-10-2015, 04:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacqueg View Post
If you want a better source, you can find one. But then I have a google and I know how to use it. Unlike you, apparently.

Support for Gay Marriage Hits All-Time High — WSJ/NBC News Poll - Washington Wire - WSJ
Oh yes, a liberal NBC poll...

Old 03-10-2015, 04:57 PM

12,287 posts, read 9,824,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacqueg View Post
Anyone is free to ask you, or anyone else, a leading question. No one is obligated to oblige the questioner by saying dumb stuff.

The problem is that many r pols are all too eager to say dumb stuff about gay people, apparently because they believe dumb stuff about gay people in particular, and sexuality in general. Which makes the rest of us wonder about the possibility that they believe really dumb stuff about *other* topics.
I like how you skipped over my next paragraph showing how the media never goes to the dems with gotcha questions like the example I mentioned.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies