Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-11-2015, 08:27 AM

79,907 posts, read 44,210,872 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by thatguydownsouth View Post
Not on a University campus you cannot. If you walk by a girl on campus and tell her she has a nice ass, she can grab the nearby campus PD and have you sitting in the deans chair defending your actions in a heartbeat.

Unless youre attractive of course, then youll have a date. But thats an entirely different debate.
Generalizations aside......well there really is no need to address something like this. Crude comments are protected speech.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2015, 08:27 AM

6,732 posts, read 5,174,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by billydaman View Post
Look in the mirror. I do not condone what those college kids did but that in no way negates you doing the very same thing. Next time a cop is accused of being a racist for doing his job, come talk to me about whites not being held responsible for other peoples transgressions. I hate racism...and its come off especially horrendous when the person railing against racism is doing the same exact thing they rail about. You fed the troll and now want to pretend he speaks for all white people. What that person said is not the general consensus of our society. It is pathetic and you are just as guilty.
Look in the mirror? Nice deflection.

I'm not condoning or encouraging anything. I'm not suggesting finding these guys and beating them up or rioting or anything else, and where you got that in my post is beyond me. I'm asking why in these type of situations, the onus is on black people. This is the exact same script in the thread about the waiter writing the N-word on the receipt. People in that thread were blaming the black people because they probably didn't tip or other black people use the N-word. It's a fair question, why are certain groups absolved from having any personal responsibility for how their entire race acts?

It's a fair question to ask and of course you can't answer that, so then you try to turn it into me doing something racist. Par for the course.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdwardA View Post
If this heads to court the school will say the song about lynching is a violent threat. The problem is that the kids were serediptously recorded. The intent to incite is simply not there. In fact if you want to be technical the person that recorded and sent it to social media sites is the once that incited people.
Or, my guess is the person recording it (or received it) was just doing so because s/he thought it would be a funny video, but turned into something much worse. And because they were raised with a little bit of class, decency and tact, they turned the video in.

Old 03-11-2015, 08:36 AM

52,697 posts, read 34,564,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EdwardA View Post
If this heads to court the school will say the song about lynching is a violent threat. The problem is that the kids were serediptously recorded. The intent to incite is simply not there. In fact if you want to be technical the person that recorded and sent it to social media sites is the once that incited people.
a very good point, one that only the first responder even attempted to address.

"YOU can hang'em from a tree" is hardly a direct threat nor an incitement.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
If someone records someone in private threatening to harm someone that threat would still be something that can be acted on.

Was this a legitimate threat? Arguable.
agreed it's arguable. saying someone else can hang blacks from a tree, as disgusting as it is, doesn't sound like a direct threat to harm someone by any stretch of the imagination.

Last edited by uggabugga; 03-11-2015 at 08:48 AM..

Old 03-11-2015, 08:38 AM

38,859 posts, read 25,544,683 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJJersey View Post
Most people have heard of the oklahoma university racist song by now. No one doubts that what these kids did was dumb and racist. But I read the school closed their frat, and they are now talking suspension or expulsion. The school president said they "abused" their free speech. Have we really gotten to the point where a public school can expel students for a non-threatening albeit racist song? It sounds unconstitutional to me.

Write your senators and congressman. Contact the governor of Oklahoma.

Keep us updated.

Old 03-11-2015, 08:39 AM

89,030 posts, read 44,840,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by siobhandem View Post
Because 99% of people defending the racists are Republicans.
Who's defending the racists? I'm not seeing it...

Old 03-11-2015, 08:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by uggabugga View Post

agreed it's arguable. saying someone else can hang blacks from a tree, as disgusting as it is, doesn't sound like a direct threat to harm someone by any stretch of the imagination.
I believe translated its saying " you can hang them from a tree but I won't be allowing them to join"

Cross the line? In a setting such as this I'm simply saying the courts might think so.

Old 03-11-2015, 08:47 AM

4,103 posts, read 5,427,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
Generalizations aside......well there really is no need to address something like this. Crude comments are protected speech.
They are in the "public arena" agreed. However on an institutions property/program you are subject to that institutions policies. If the policy is one of "dont say racist things or you will be expelled" then you must abide by this policy. Its the same reason I cant bring a gun to work. Theres a policy in place superseding my carry permit.

Old 03-11-2015, 08:47 AM

7,214 posts, read 9,396,200 times
Quote:
Not on a University campus you cannot. If you walk by a girl on campus and tell her she has a nice ass, she can grab the nearby campus PD and have you sitting in the deans chair defending your actions in a heartbeat.

Unless youre attractive of course, then youll have a date. But thats an entirely different debate.
It's called sexual harassment.

Old 03-11-2015, 09:00 AM

3,620 posts, read 3,836,772 times
i dont know why people are going on and on.

its over with. they arnt going back and nobody wants them back.

its over, move on.

Old 03-11-2015, 09:05 AM

Quote:
They are in the "public arena" agreed. However on an institutions property/program you are subject to that institutions policies. If the policy is one of "dont say racist things or you will be expelled" then you must abide by this policy. Its the same reason I cant bring a gun to work. Theres a policy in place superseding my carry permit.
Depends on the status of the institution.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies