Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-12-2015, 10:18 PM

10,829 posts, read 5,451,609 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimTheEnchanter View Post

You do not have to be prevented from speaking to have your free speech rights violated.

Being punished for exercising those rights is also a violation of free speech rights.

No code of conduct can override constitutionally guaranteed rights.

Your logic is pretty circular. 'They were not expelled for singing a song they were expelled for creating a hostile environment, which they did by singing a song.'

Hunh?
Well said.

It's hard to decide whether some of the posters here are ignorant of things I knew when I was high school, or whether they are just trolling in the hopes of getting the clueless to join them.

I actually hope it's the latter.

If it's the former, then our public schools are much worse than I thought.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2015, 10:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Feltdesigner View Post
and this is why you dont understand Free Speech.

You think any negative reaction to your words is unconstitutional and that isnt how it works.
An arm of the government (a public university) cannot punish people in any way for singing racist songs or giving racist speeches.

Period.

You are the one who does not understand free speech.

Old 03-12-2015, 10:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by billydaman View Post

Prove it.
It's self-evident.

Hence, already proven.

Res ipsa loquitur.

Old 03-12-2015, 10:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Feltdesigner View Post
So you are suggesting a state employee can sing about lynching blacks or killing whites and keep his job?

Yeah...no.
You're mixing up employer-employee relations (not protected by the first amendment) with government punishment of U.S. citizens who are not employed by the government.

Old 03-12-2015, 10:39 PM

1,160 posts, read 715,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dechatelet View Post
It's self-evident.

Hence, already proven.

Res ipsa loquitur.

No other students were punished....so your argument kind of falls flat. If it was about singing the song, all of them would of faced discipline. So, no, its not "self-evident".

Old 03-12-2015, 10:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by billydaman View Post
No other students were punished....so your argument kind of falls flat. If it was about singing the song, all of them would of faced discipline. So, no, its not "self-evident".
The university president said he would identify as many students as he could. He could only identify two of them. You can't discipline people you don't know about. So you are wrong yet again.

Old 03-12-2015, 11:09 PM

11,181 posts, read 10,555,348 times
OU President Boren is a political savvy guy who's been around the block many a time, he wouldn't have made this move unless he was sure it was legally and ethically defensible.

Based upon the statements issued by Rice and by Petit's parents, I'd be VERY surprised if they fight the expulsions. Not everyone is lawsuit-crazy, they don't strike me as the type.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dechatelet View Post
An arm of the government (a public university) cannot punish people in any way for singing racist songs or giving racist speeches.
Whether right or wrong (and I think you're wrong), it's a dead issue in this case because there will be no legal challenge.

Old 03-12-2015, 11:57 PM

2,201 posts, read 1,880,966 times
The students were hollering racial verses which is a highly sensitive issue and has extremely bizzare origins albeit a questionable motivation ( forget the hate rant typical push
back ) the real problem is the threat it was a mythodically
organized subversive group with a agenda to dilute a race
to subliminally recruit more jackwagons. There is the door
bye then.

Old 03-13-2015, 12:15 AM

3,530 posts, read 4,190,567 times
Amazing how conservatives always come out the woodwork to defend the indefensible, ostensibly under the guise of defending constitutional rights. Always twisting and perverting laws to defend backwards practices/institutions. And liberals have no morals? We're the ones who lack common sense? Lol. I'm sure some "constitutional scholar" will come and attack me now, despite all evidence pointing that this is a perfectly warranted, and legal, move.

Old 03-13-2015, 12:34 AM

15,088 posts, read 13,474,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJJersey View Post
Most people have heard of the oklahoma university racist song by now. No one doubts that what these kids did was dumb and racist. But I read the school closed their frat, and they are now talking suspension or expulsion. The school president said they "abused" their free speech. Have we really gotten to the point where a public school can expel students for a non-threatening albeit racist song? It sounds unconstitutional to me.
Well, it isn't.

The Constitution simply says that Congress shall make no laws that infringe on free speech.

It says nothing about other non-governmental institutions punishing you for your speech. They can and frequently do.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies