Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-12-2015, 09:31 AM

34,619 posts, read 21,660,732 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swingblade View Post
Yep, blacks make up 67% of the population and were cited 85% for traffic stops and we are supposed to be astounded by this blatant racism [sarcasm]. Anyone who trots out these numbers to prove some kind of racism is a dolt.
The funny thing is that the racial disparity in federal prison (yes, put there by the DOJ) is nearly five times greater than the racial disparity in Ferguson.

I must have missed Holder's report about how racist his department is.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2015, 09:48 AM

18,782 posts, read 17,387,069 times
Incarcerations remain at record highs under Obama-Holder.

http://www.bjs.gov/content/pub/pdf/p13.pdf

To their credit, there has been a slight dip, but

Quote:

]n December 31, 2013, the United States held an estimated 1,574,700 persons in state and federal prisons, an increase of approximately 4,300 prisoners (0.3%) from 2012.

Old 03-12-2015, 10:17 AM

10,545 posts, read 13,599,751 times
Did the people that received the fines commit the violations?

Old 03-12-2015, 01:19 PM

12,287 posts, read 9,837,951 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by earthlyfather View Post
More small cities, than not, use traffic fines, or sundry other kinds of fines, court costs and so forth, to get revenue. I do not know that the racial component changed the fundamental fact of raising 'revenue', when the commercial - especially - and residential property tax and sale tax are insufficient to support the cities services.
This happened a lot here in California when the recession hit in 2008. Every police agency saw their funding cut and the only revenue they have any influence on is fines/fees associated with tickets. The more tickets they write, the more money the agency received. They stopped worrying about real issues that were a net negstive on revenue and started focusing on minor issues that were a net positive. They would start sitting on on ramps looking for illegal lane changes and other violations that didn't really indanger anyone. They would work in pairs, one officer waving violators offer and the other just writing tickets non stop.

They are still doing it, it is a straight up money grab.

Old 03-12-2015, 01:28 PM

13,255 posts, read 12,145,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rggr View Post
Did the people that received the fines commit the violations?
Not all.

I watched something on CNN where they were interviewing 2 residents who had never been in the headlines before.

1 woman's car was towed from her own driveway because they said it was "derelect." Albeit she drove it to work everyday, it was her only ride to work. They actually came onto her property, went in her drive way, and took her car.

I was shocked.

There were more stories just as bad. The issues weren't with people who were blatantly breaking laws, it was with the people who were truly being terrorized and harassed.

Old 03-12-2015, 01:31 PM

2,137 posts, read 1,905,715 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gtownoe View Post
Not all.

I watched something on CNN where they were interviewing 2 residents who had never been in the headlines before.

1 woman's car was towed from her own driveway because they said it was "derelect." Albeit she drove it to work everyday, it was her only ride to work. They actually came onto her property, went in her drive way, and took her car.

I was shocked.

There were more stories just as bad. The issues weren't with people who were blatantly breaking laws, it was with the people who were truly being terrorized and harassed.
Kind of like the residents who said Michael Brown was killed execution style with his hands up, yup, those people happen. 'I wunt doin nuthin! they just took my car!' You realize that prisons are full of people proclaiming their innocence?

Old 03-12-2015, 01:33 PM

7,168 posts, read 5,374,199 times
Here is a story about Tenn. highway patrol officers claiming there is a DUI quota and how they are also pressured to look out for seat belt violations.

4 more troopers come forward about DUI quota system | Johnson City Press

The message that should be sent to Ferguson residents is "welcome to reality".

Old 03-12-2015, 01:36 PM

2,137 posts, read 1,905,715 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Swingblade View Post
Here is a story about Tenn. highway patrol officers claiming there is a DUI quota and how they are also pressured to look out for seat belt violations.

4 more troopers come forward about DUI quota system | Johnson City Press

The message that should be sent to Ferguson residents is "welcome to reality".
Good, drunk driving is a serious issue. You mean police are pressured to enforce a law passed by the community? God forbid. If you have a problem with tickets for no seat-belt than your problem is with the law, not the police, get it repealed.

Old 03-12-2015, 01:44 PM

15,545 posts, read 10,533,079 times
At the end of the month, it's wall to wall cops driving thru the southwest. It's pretty obvious what they are doing. Holder is right about that. I don't think I'd call it big government though, ratty government maybe.

Old 03-12-2015, 01:54 PM

34,619 posts, read 21,660,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gtownoe View Post
Not all. I watched something on CNN where they were interviewing 2 residents who had never been in the headlines before. 1 woman's car was towed from her own driveway because they said it was "derelect." Albeit she drove it to work everyday, it was her only ride to work. They actually came onto her property, went in her drive way, and took her car. I was shocked.
And what, specifically, was the other side of the story?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies