Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-13-2015, 09:59 AM

15,896 posts, read 11,998,480 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scratch33 View Post
Yes it does. It's all about our freedom.

And we were there first.

And those yuppies should have done their homework before choosing to move in next to us.

And to us the music was neither loud nor obnoxious; they were obviously just psychotic whining haters. They should have just moved.

(I think I've covered all the bases)
True. You were there first. But there could have been a compromise of some sorts. Do I think calling the authorities was right on their part? No! But telling them to eff off didn't exactly help your cause. Like I said helps to befriend your neighbors, because you never know when you may need them. it is a fine line and doesn't always work, but you know the old saying about attracting more flies with honey than vinegar.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2015, 11:12 AM

10,237 posts, read 6,330,053 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by r small View Post
I live in a condo and never smell cigarette smoke. Occasionally I'll catch a whiff of some reefer but that doesn't bother me. What does bother is some of the cooking I smell. My next door neighbor cooks with alot of garlic (or something similar) and it stinks up my apartment pretty bad sometimes. Not much I can do about it but light up a cigarette. Maybe I'll take up cigars.
Exactly as I said on my other post. Cooking. I now live in a single family house but it is only a few feet from my neighbors. I can smell what they are cooking for dinner, and they can smell mine.

I do a lot of cooking myself. My husband says when I cook sauerkraut or sauerbraten he can smell it when he turns the corner street. I wonder how many neighbors don't like THOSE smells too? TOUGH.

There was another thread about people complaining about the smells of women's perfumes and air freshners at work. Gimme a break. Again, some people are not happy about ANYTHING other people do.

Old 03-13-2015, 12:30 PM

3,298 posts, read 2,476,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by no1brownsfan View Post
True. You were there first. But there could have been a compromise of some sorts. Do I think calling the authorities was right on their part? No! But telling them to eff off didn't exactly help your cause. Like I said helps to befriend your neighbors, because you never know when you may need them. it is a fine line and doesn't always work, but you know the old saying about attracting more flies with honey than vinegar.
Did I leave out they were trying to 'gentrify' the neighborhood? 'cuz that's a bad thing.

For anyone who may be either kinda thick and/or late to the party, no; I didn't really live in a wild punk rock rowhouse in the 80's (though I did once live atop a punk rock nightclub that was nowhere near a residential area).

Just taking the OP story and replacing "smoke" with "noise". And seeing how people react.

Old 03-13-2015, 05:13 PM

13,933 posts, read 12,905,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scratch33 View Post
Did I leave out they were trying to 'gentrify' the neighborhood? 'cuz that's a bad thing.

For anyone who may be either kinda thick and/or late to the party, no; I didn't really live in a wild punk rock rowhouse in the 80's (though I did once live atop a punk rock nightclub that was nowhere near a residential area).

Just taking the OP story and replacing "smoke" with "noise". And seeing how people react.
They aren't the same thing so it's really a useless comparison to say the least.

Old 03-13-2015, 05:31 PM

3,298 posts, read 2,476,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhipperSnapper 88 View Post
They aren't the same thing so it's really a useless comparison to say the least.
Wrong. Very apt comparison.

Old 03-13-2015, 10:21 PM

10,239 posts, read 19,618,520 times
Quote:
=Scratch33;38801654]Lived in a row house back in the 80's with a bunch of other folks. Everyone living there was in a band or the music business in some fashion. Then we had some yuppie neighbors who moved in next door and started constantly complaining about band practices and our monster sound system that blasted out righteous punk pretty much 24/7. We told 'em to f-off but they got the authorities involved. Whatever happened to freedom of speech?
Unless you are being intentionally ironic, I don't understand at all how you cannot see how illogical your comparison is.

Freedom of speech does not extend to disturbing the peace of others. I would imagine that the lease agreement everyone signed extended the right to a reasonable amount of freedom from disturbances and such, and that local ordinances were on the books that prohibited unreasonable volumes of noise after a certain hour. Some people need to sleep so as to be able to go to work the next morning and can't do it if those in the next apartment are blasting their speakers at airport runway decibel levels.

Now to be fair, perhaps the noise y'all made was not past reasonable limits. I don't know, I wasn't there. It could well be your neighbors were just making much ado about nothing. BUT...it pretty much sounds like (no pun intended) that you were the one who had no consideration for the rights of others.

Yeah, yeah, I know you are likely going to say the DC guy had no consideration for the rights of others either. The glaring difference is that he was smoking in his own domain, it violated no lease agreement nor city ordinances. And just using common sense, the teeny-tiny amount of smoke that could have crept out into the neighbors apartments would have been something like the proverbial needle in a haystack.

On the other hand -- assuming you are for real on all this -- you and your bunch were typical of this modern day "its all about me", and have to brass cojones to think it is a "freedom of speech" issue.

Old 03-13-2015, 10:36 PM

7,360 posts, read 6,535,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyman at Jewel Lake View Post
By the same argument the smoker should be able to control what the neighbor does in their house. Better not cook anything with say garlic or onions, that might offend the neighbor. And for danged sure better not have any beans and eggs!
Last I checked, cooking smells weren't a health risk.

Old 03-13-2015, 10:59 PM

32,083 posts, read 15,085,780 times
I used to smoke but I never smoked in my home. I would always go outside because the smoke gets into everything in your home. And it's very difficult to get rid of the smell. If only for sales purposes he shouldn't smoke in the house. But growing up in a row house in DC we had our share of horrible smells because of the connecting row houses.

Old 03-13-2015, 11:09 PM

10,239 posts, read 19,618,520 times
Quote:
=MattCW;38810803]Last I checked, cooking smells weren't a health risk.
Ah contraire'...for someone with an allergy or whatever, it would be a "health risk" That is the problem. When a certain ilk of busybodies (smoking is the cause celebre' at the moment) start to intrude on the private property rights of others, then there is no logical stopping point. If someone has an allergic reaction to the smell of garlic or perfume, then there is no reason why that bunch cannot ban together and demand that a city ordinance be passed to prohibit restaurants from limiting the use of garlic or passing a perfume check point.

There is a big difference in "public health" and public safety. And to intentionally blend the two is being disingenuous. Your health and the choice you make are your business and your obligation to take care of. They are not -- and should not be mandated to be -- a matter of everyone else's responsibility. In a nutshell? If smoking bothers you, then the solution is simple: Don't go into places where smoking is allowed.

On the other hand, public safety relates to matters that a reasonable person cannot be expected to discern for themselves. For instance, tainted meat or rodents in the kitchen area, or hidden fire hazards, as in faulty wiring or something. Or a gas leak. Etc.

The two are not at all the same.

Old 03-14-2015, 03:29 AM

26,143 posts, read 19,860,246 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Roma
The .gov is now controlling what legal activities one can and can't do in their own home.
How can they enforce this really?

I dont see how its possible.........
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies