Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do You Identify as "Red" or "Blue" and Do You Favor Peaceful Separation or a &qu
I lean "Red" and favor a peaceful separation 17 65.38%
I lean "Red"; the majority must rule 5 19.23%
I lean "Blue" and favor a peaceful separation 2 7.69%
I lean "Blue"; the majority must rule 2 7.69%
Voters: 26. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-12-2021, 03:41 PM

16,216 posts, read 11,345,484 times

Advertisements

Most of us recognize that the polarization between those of us identifying as "progressives" and those identifying as "conservatives" has intensified in recent years.

But I'm curious as to the opinions regarding the means to settle the conflict within the two camps: I think all but the most inflammatory of the "hot-heads" (on both sides) would recognize that we have too much to lose to settle this dispute on the field of battle.

But the question remains as to whether this dispute should be solved by a "friendly divorce" in the manner of the former Czechoslovakia nearly a generation ago, or a "winner take all" plebiscite in which the nation would choose between "red" and "blue" agendae.

Accordingly, I've created a "four way" or "2x2" poll:

I've deliberately omitted a neutral option; there is no easy way out here.

Last edited by 2nd trick op; 06-12-2021 at 04:29 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2021, 03:43 PM

4,716 posts, read 8,581,384 times
Rural vs. urban. The suburbs are the ideological battleground.

Old 06-12-2021, 03:47 PM

5,527 posts, read 3,258,218 times
If you want to dial down the temperature, turn off the news. The news media make money off of division and foment it.

Old 06-12-2021, 04:06 PM

11,269 posts, read 11,037,507 times
Make no mistake, the lefts ultimate goal is to propose their will on everyone via majority rule. This is why they are very focused on opening borders to all, lowering the voting age, wiping the 2nd Amendment from the constitution, abolishing police, and brainwashing our youth in public schools. They are the American equivalent of radical Islam. And once they are the majority, all their pet groups will start consuming their own (actually, they already do that to a particular extent).

Old 06-12-2021, 04:11 PM

15,850 posts, read 6,557,396 times
Option 5: Neither, this is silly.

Old 06-12-2021, 04:20 PM

6,927 posts, read 6,942,450 times
Every since Trump was elected, I have been doing my best to try to understand how conservatives feel about the various issues which must be addressed in our country. I've also been trying to figure out WHY they think as they do and if they are open to seeking common ground. These things are a major reason why I became so active on this forum. After 5 or so years of this, I am forced to concede that I have failed miserably in all that I set out to do.

McGowDawg who I used to like and respect unfriended me because I was playing on the wrong political team despite the fact that other than red vs blue, we had much in common and agreed on most other things. Bye, McDawg. Take care of yourself.

I try to not to lose my temper, but I still get sent away to jail sometimes. I don't want to be banned, so I should just leave this forum alone. Everywhere else on CD, I am met with love and adoration. HAH! If only.

IRL there is exactly one Republican that I am able to hold a civil conversation about politics with. I hold my tongue or talk about the weather with all the rest in my small town.

Republicans are just so dang mean. And they use truly awful sources to get their information from. Surely everyone knows that Breitbart and Info Wars and the Gateway Pundit are not exactly the places to find the truth and actual facts about anything. But I guess conservatives like what they hear so much from these places that they just refuse to give them up.

There's no reasoning together, no sane discussion, no attempts at coming to bipartisan solutions. There is just this awful wall of hate that constantly emanates from Team Red. I don't think the US should divide itself up, but I am exhausted. Maybe going two separate ways is the only possible thing that the people of our country can do.

What a terrible shame.

Old 06-12-2021, 04:35 PM

2,082 posts, read 925,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avondalist View Post
If you want to dial down the temperature, turn off the news. The news media make money off of division and foment it.
And best to turn it off for your mental health too

Old 06-12-2021, 04:37 PM

2,082 posts, read 925,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ditchlights View Post
Make no mistake, the lefts ultimate goal is to propose their will on everyone via majority rule. This is why they are very focused on opening borders to all, lowering the voting age, wiping the 2nd Amendment from the constitution, abolishing police, and brainwashing our youth in public schools. They are the American equivalent of radical Islam. And once they are the majority, all their pet groups will start consuming their own (actually, they already do that to a particular extent).

Great post, short and to the point

Old 06-12-2021, 04:45 PM

43,142 posts, read 18,306,779 times
What about Libertarian ?

Old 06-12-2021, 04:47 PM

6,120 posts, read 4,613,312 times
When you say "majority rules" in the poll, through which process are you referring to?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies