Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-14-2015, 05:58 PM

4,477 posts, read 3,301,369 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by so954 View Post
Story is misleading. That's the cost for Air Force One, $200,000 an hour, if you don't like it, find a way to lower the cost for him. He has a right to fly where he wants, stop nitpicking. Bush Jr. Flew to vacation every other day. I bet he spent a trillion dollars on AF1.
I think you miss the point. It cost $1 million to fly to PHX/LAX, $1 million back, probably another $1 million to transport Marine One there and all the cars..... and then Michelle took another flight with her entourage and their vehicles, to both wind up in Burbank taping TV shows and so Barack could attend a $33,400 per couple fund raiser.

I think a lot of Americans, not just Republicans, wish he would spend some time in WDC meeting with Congressional leaders on how to move forward on a range of issues.

Old 03-14-2015, 06:02 PM

7,541 posts, read 10,260,125 times
Maybe the president had to get some work done on AF1 and didn't need his wife bothering him as he had bills to sign and appointments to make, things which just had to get done?

The President Bush canard is a red herring. Mr. Bush's home was in Crawford Texas, and he still had to keep up his domicile even though he was president. Commuting home is hardly an extravagance, especially when he just needed to get to the ranch to do chores like clearing brush.

Old 03-14-2015, 10:02 PM

9,189 posts, read 7,600,003 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WaldoKitty View Post
So what? It only cost you a few cents...don't tell me you can't afford it?

Old 03-14-2015, 10:16 PM

8,342 posts, read 6,431,022 times
Those two Communists took two seperate trips, they coulden't care less about the taxpayers. They think only of themselves and consider themselves Kings.

Old 03-14-2015, 11:28 PM

32,064 posts, read 15,062,274 times
Quote:
Dear Heart. The entire world experience is not on Google. Since you are asking, my advice is to read some literature, learn some science, step away from that computer and get some real world experience. You will figure out what it means.

Do that, and you might also recognize the real point of that article.
And my advice to you is to actually read who called you an idiot because it's not this poster here. I guess you were confused There is a wealth of knowledge on the internet. You can pretty much learn anything so why would someone step away from technology.

Old 03-14-2015, 11:47 PM

4,366 posts, read 4,580,574 times
Quote:
Oh in your zeal to call me an idiot, you were not clear that you consider CNN to be the MSM. I don't. It ceased being a real news organization long ago. I don't watch it, it will rot your brain.

I'm talking about the national TV broadcast news on ABC, CBS, NBC. I hope that clears it up for you but man, what a way to entirely miss the point of the article.
Quote:
Originally Posted by AksarbeN View Post
I never called you an idiot. All I'm wanting to know where do I find the MSM news dept? I can't google it, so who are they?
MSM stands for "Mainstream Media."

You can find anything on Google!

Old 03-15-2015, 01:02 AM

817 posts, read 922,556 times
Quote:
Oh in your zeal to call me an idiot, you were not clear that you consider CNN to be the MSM. I don't. It ceased being a real news organization long ago. I don't watch it, it will rot your brain.

I'm talking about the national TV broadcast news on ABC, CBS, NBC. I hope that clears it up for you but man, what a way to entirely miss the point of the article.
The point is the MSM is a self appointed helper of the adminstration.

Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Like_Spam View Post
Maybe the president had to get some work done on AF1 and didn't need his wife bothering him as he had bills to sign and appointments to make, things which just had to get done?

The President Bush canard is a red herring. Mr. Bush's home was in Crawford Texas, and he still had to keep up his domicile even though he was president. Commuting home is hardly an extravagance, especially when he just needed to get to the ranch to do chores like clearing brush.
If the President wants the FLOTUS to let him work, he can issue an executive order, right?

Old 03-15-2015, 01:14 AM

7,138 posts, read 11,030,239 times
Quote:
Did you read this part?

"Despite the closeness, the White House has insisted that the pair's schedules 'were not in sync',"

Non-story, but I bet it's popular on Faux News anyway.

Old 03-15-2015, 05:53 AM

8,869 posts, read 16,319,598 times
There has never been a presidential administration in my memory that has not received criticism of this very type. Both parties. No matter who's in office, the other side brings their expenditures to the public's attention. In fact, in their travel arrangements, most presidents do what the Secret Service and the people appointed specifically to handle their event planning tell them to do. After decades of hearing similar complaints, I've come to the conclusion that it's the normal cost of having a president.

I vividly remember in 1991, former Maine governor John Sununu was forced to resign his position as President George H.W. Bush's Chief of Staff. Called "King John" by some (even in his own party), he inspired the ire of many in Washington for his personal excesses. But he didn't actually get fired until the president's reelection campaign responded to the bad publicity Sununu incurred because of his personal travels. He engaged military aircraft, flying at the rate of about $4,000 an hour (1990 dollars) for things like a dentist appointment in Boston, family ski trips, and to attend a staff member's wedding following a campaign trip to Chicago. The trip that really captured the public's imagination was when he took a government car and driver to New York City to attend a rare stamp auction at Christie's (he is a coin and stamp collector). He ran into some friends there and sent the limo back to Washington unoccupied and flew back on his friend's corporate jet. Comedians had a field day with that one. If you doubt me, look at Sununu's Wikipedia page. It has a specific category called "Controversies."

Is President Obama supposed to go to Texas to spend Christmas with George Bush's family because you don't want to pay for a plane to carry him all the way to Hawaii so he can celebrate the holiday at the place he calls home? I suspect you might have less of a problem with Sarah Palin shuttling her hard-partying brood back and forth to Alaska had they ended up living at the Vice Presidential home on Massachusetts Avenue. You're complaining about a non-issue.

Also, WaldoKitty, it matters not if you consider CNN to be the mainstream media. In fact, it is, just as FOX News and MSNBC are. "Mainstream" means just what it says ... known by and available to most Americans whether or not they choose to avail themselves. They all have a seat at White House press conferences.

Old 03-15-2015, 06:21 AM

11,755 posts, read 7,117,231 times
I find it amusing that many of people who complain about how "their" taxes are spent are the same folks who do not actually pay any income taxes. Do they have any Federal and state tax withheld from their paychecks? Sure. But they get all of it back, except for their FICA taxes (which benefit the individual taxpayer by way of social security and Medicare). In fact, they go to Walmart to file their taxes and get elated about their massive refund in relation to their modest income. Who knows, maybe they even get EIC without realizing it. Some people are confused.

Like someone said, personal income taxes that people such as those (you know who you are) actually pay probably funded about $0.000000001 of that $2 million trip. Furthermore, in 2014, the Federal government spending was $3.5 trillion, meaning $2 million constitute about 0.000057% of that.

But go ahead and ***** and moan. I hear they eat free food at the White House, including brand name cereals such as Fruit Loops. Outrage, you should go picket!

Mick

Last edited by MTQ3000; 03-15-2015 at 06:21 AM.. Reason: Guess
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies