Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-15-2015, 06:43 AM

12,997 posts, read 13,641,115 times

Advertisements

Here's a question for Democrats. Are there things about the Republican Party that appeal to you? Are their certain candidates, ideas or wings of the GOP that you could see yourself supporting if it only weren't for the other aspects of the party that repel you?

I started this thread in part as a spin off to the thread about the GOP's stance on the gay marriage. Are there are other issues in the GOP that keep you from voting Republican even though you could see yourself doing so if these obstacles were removed?

I hope this leads to a serious discussion and doesn't devolve into an opportunity to score cheap points on the GOP (plenty of other threads for that.)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-15-2015, 06:53 AM

7,840 posts, read 9,196,981 times
Well, for starters, how about stop pandering to the reactionaries who want to turn the social and economic clocks back to an idealized 18th century that never existed?

Old 03-15-2015, 07:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linda_d View Post
Well, for starters, how about stop pandering to the reactionaries who want to turn the social and economic clocks back to an idealized 18th century that never existed?
So would you be tempted to vote for the GOP if the party took difference stances on social issues?

Old 03-15-2015, 07:06 AM

7,168 posts, read 5,364,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Linda_d View Post
Well there you have it West Cobb the very first post is a cheap shot and over the top hyperbole BS

Get real the {R}s want to take us back to the 18th century LMAO

Old 03-15-2015, 07:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swingblade View Post
Well there you have it West Cobb the very first post is a cheap shot and over the top hyperbole BS

Get real the {R}s want to take us back to the 18th century LMAO
The first post is more negative than positive, true. I hope more posts focus on what appeals to them in the GOP and what about the current GOP is holding them back from voting for them.

Last edited by WestCobb; 03-15-2015 at 07:17 AM..

Old 03-15-2015, 07:22 AM

8,924 posts, read 5,624,543 times
I could never even consider the Republican Party. They have done so much to obstruct this administration it's unforgivable. Don't have the room to list all of their shenanigans here.
Democrats are far from perfect. What is behind the Republicans love for war? War should be the last option not the first. Maybe it's the crazy Christians in the party wanting to bring on the "RAPTURE".?

Old 03-15-2015, 07:27 AM

7,840 posts, read 9,196,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestCobb View Post
So would you be tempted to vote for the GOP if the party took difference stances on social issues?
I meant both on social and economic issues. We live in the 21st century and need financial/banking/economic institutions/regulations/controls that fit the modern world, not worship of ideological orthodoxy that didn't even work in the real world 300 years ago.

Old 03-15-2015, 07:31 AM

5,770 posts, read 3,220,948 times
Default The Influence of the Tea Party is Troubling

Quote:
Here's a question for Democrats. Are there things about the Republican Party that appeal to you? Are their certain candidates, ideas or wings of the GOP that you could see yourself supporting if it only weren't for the other aspects of the party that repel you?

I started this thread in part as a spin off to the thread about the GOP's stance on the gay marriage. Are there are other issues in the GOP that keep you from voting Republican even though you could see yourself doing so if these obstacles were removed?

I hope this leads to a serious discussion and doesn't devolve into an opportunity to score cheap points on the GOP (plenty of other threads for that.)
I'm a Democrat. I was a registered Republican at one time.
Why I could vote Republican
1. The Democrats behave like the characters in an Abbott and Costello film.
2. Democrats in New York State don't help Democrats get jobs.
3. Some of the factions within the Democratic party are weird.
4. A recent interview of Pat Buchanan by Rachel Maddow about affirmative action branded Buchanan racist. I found Buchanan's arguments about affirmative action being reverse discrimination credible.

Why I can't vote Republican
1. The Tea Party has radicalized you.
2. Corporations control the Republican party to a much greater extent than they control the Democrats.
3. The Republican party has abandoned the middle class.
4. The party of big business was ok when big business was American.
5 The most powerful person on Earth should not only have a three digit IQ. It should be above 140.

Why I am now a Democrat.
1. Since the Republicans support corporations that no longer see the middle class as an important market, I can't support them.

Why I think that both parties are corrupt.
1. Corporations lay people off of all ages. When they rehire people, they don't rehire those over 50. This is against the law. Why hasn't either party identified and prosecuted the worst offenders.

Old 03-15-2015, 07:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonyafd View Post
I'm a Democrat. I was a registered Republican at one time.
Why I could vote Republican
1. The Democrats behave like the characters in an Abbott and Costello film.
2. Democrats in New York State don't help Democrats get jobs.
3. Some of the factions within the Democratic party are weird.
4. A recent interview of Pat Buchanan by Rachel Maddow about affirmative action branded Buchanan racist. I found Buchanan's arguments about affirmative action being reverse discrimination credible.

Why I can't vote Republican
1. The Tea Party has radicalized you.
2. Corporations control the Republican party to a much greater extent than they control the Democrats.
3. The Republican party has abandoned the middle class.
4. The party of big business was ok when big business was American.
5 The most powerful person on Earth should not only have a three digit IQ. It should be above 140.

Why I am now a Democrat.
1. Since the Republicans support corporations that no longer see the middle class as an important market, I can't support them.

Why I think that both parties are corrupt.
1. Corporations lay people off of all ages. When they rehire people, they don't rehire those over 50. This is against the law. Why hasn't either party identified and prosecuted the worst offenders.
Excellent post. You're obviously somebody who thinks for himself and isn't blindly loyal to either party. I love your point about the party of big business being more desirable when big businesses were American and not transnational entities whose gains do not trickle down to American citizens. It used to be said what's good for Ford is good for America. That was another era. What's good for Ford is good for the Mexican worker perhaps, but it's necessarily good for Joe American at all.

Old 03-15-2015, 07:43 AM

5,770 posts, read 3,220,948 times
Quote:
Excellent post. You're obviously somebody who thinks for himself and isn't blindly loyal to either party. I love your point about the party of big business being more desirable when big businesses were American and not transnational entities whose gains do not trickle down to American citizens. It used to be said what's good for Ford is good for America. That was another era. What's good for Ford is good for the Mexican worker perhaps, but it's necessarily good for Joe American at all.
Thank you.
I try to be objective.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies