Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-16-2015, 05:45 PM

17,622 posts, read 17,674,997 times

Advertisements

They're doing this through DMV records. Oregon is first state to adopt automatic voter registration - Houston Chronicle

One valid concern raised includes cost to tax payers to fund the program. A concern I have involves what level of information does their DMV require for obtaining a driver's license? Does the person have to provide proof of being a US citizen or legal resident of the country/state? Does the state of Oregon have laws against convicted criminals voting in elections and if so, how long and will criminal records be cross checked with those DMV records? If they're really doing this, they should go another step and cross check it with deaths records to remove the dead from the voter registration.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2015, 06:01 PM

34,279 posts, read 19,375,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by victimofGM View Post
They're doing this through DMV records. Oregon is first state to adopt automatic voter registration - Houston Chronicle

One valid concern raised includes cost to tax payers to fund the program. A concern I have involves what level of information does their DMV require for obtaining a driver's license? Does the person have to provide proof of being a US citizen or legal resident of the country/state? Does the state of Oregon have laws against convicted criminals voting in elections and if so, how long and will criminal records be cross checked with those DMV records? If they're really doing this, they should go another step and cross check it with deaths records to remove the dead from the voter registration.
Oregon tends to have a well organized voting, with mail in ballots, etc. We've made it easy to vote. Overall its worked out pretty well. My voting involves lots of reading, filling out my mail form, and dropping it in the mail. The DMV has historically done registration for you as well if you simply checked a box, so this isn't as extraordinary as it sounds.

Old 03-17-2015, 03:42 AM

20,341 posts, read 19,930,346 times
Does OR allow those in the country illegally to get driver's licenses?

Old 03-17-2015, 04:14 AM

191 posts, read 172,015 times
This should allow more Republicans in the rural areas to vote. Take a look at the rural areas of Oregon, Washington, and Idaho, they vote solidly Republican. Many of these new voters don't take the time to look at the issues or bother to register. Democrats just gave a big boost to the low-information Republican voter.

Old 03-17-2015, 05:15 AM

4,697 posts, read 6,449,100 times
Quote:

Here's a link to an article that is a bit more informative:

Oregon governor signs sweeping automatic voter registration into law

Two pieces of information caught my eye.

1. Yes, the DMV information includes whether a person is a citizen; and

2. Republicans in the legislature voted unanimously against the bill (of course).

Old 03-17-2015, 05:22 AM

37,803 posts, read 41,019,978 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenGene View Post
Here's a link to an article that is a bit more informative:

Oregon governor signs sweeping automatic voter registration into law

Two pieces of information caught my eye.

1. Yes, the DMV information includes whether a person is a citizen; and

2. Republicans in the legislature voted unanimously against the bill (of course).
Did they let their citizens vote on it?

Old 03-17-2015, 06:51 AM

33,016 posts, read 27,464,007 times
Quote:

Oregon requires proof of legal presence, e.g. citizenship or resident alien, for a drivers license. The Dems passed DL for illegals but the voters overturned it through referendum, so it never took effect. I had to present my birth certificate the first time and also at renewal. I think ex-cons can vote once they have been released from custody.

Old 03-17-2015, 06:58 AM

33,016 posts, read 27,464,007 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by doc1 View Post
Does OR allow those in the country illegally to get driver's licenses?

They used to, about ten years ago. Some fraction of those presumably also registered to vote. The DL loophole was closed several years ago. Since DL is valid for 8 years before renewal is required, there are probably still a few illegals with unexpired DL. When their DL expires, they will be required to present proof of citizenship or legal resident alien status.

Old 03-17-2015, 09:44 AM

34,619 posts, read 21,615,505 times
Maybe Oregon should allow the option of automatic straight ticket voting for all residents as well.

Let's make it so voting takes no effort at all.

Old 03-17-2015, 09:45 AM

4,697 posts, read 6,449,100 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
Did they let their citizens vote on it?
I don't think so. The article I linked to, and others I read about this, didn't say anything about this legislation being decided by referendum ... but then, most legislation is voted on by our elected officials, and not the general voting public.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies