Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-17-2015, 08:51 AM

13,806 posts, read 9,709,682 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Volobjectitarian View Post
Ah, resorting to semantics to keep the back pedaling going. Cool.

Whatever.

Bottom line, a day of drinking and goofing off is preferable to a month of moral sermonizing and racial grievance for the average person. That answers your question.

lol....semantics....lol. How else am I supposed to comprehend language if not rules of semantics?

So....it's all about "what you can get out of it"? Because others believe that they cannot get anything out of black history month.....they should ridicule and condemn it? You are making your rationale sound very selfish. Besides, Again, I am talking about the African link to African American as well. We are told that we should just be "Americans"....why then celebrate things "Irish" and not just celebrate American rooted traditions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2015, 08:53 AM

19,807 posts, read 9,367,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Indentured Servant View Post
Well....this is not news and we are not using the exceptions to define the rule. People need to quit. There is no equivalent to what was experienced by the African in America in time and space. If there were, then that group would be in the same shape the community is in today. This is not to suggest that other groups did not experience a more horrific degree of oppression, like the Jewish years of the Holocaust. As terrible as that was, it was different in degree and kind than the oppression of African in America. There was a holocaust that killed "black culture" and identity in America. One's culture and identity is their foundation. Jewish culture and identity were not destroyed in the holocaust, with the lives destroyed, which allowed them to bounce back. You cannot bounce back without a solid cultural foundation.
Well said. Sorry that I cannot give another "positive rep" to you.

Old 03-17-2015, 08:53 AM

5,094 posts, read 5,175,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyman at Jewel Lake View Post
We're "celebrating" a negative stereotype of Irish people, with the drinking associated with St. Pats day. If we did the same with "black history month" we'd be celebrating deadbeat dads, welfare mamas and criminals. Which is no more accurate of blacks than it is to say all Irish are drunks. Hardly an image to perpetuate.

I don't hear Irish people trying to get the term "paddy wagon" banned yet.

Old 03-17-2015, 08:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilyflower3191981 View Post
well, Patrick was born in AD 387 just south of Hadrian’s Wall in Britain, which was part of the Roman Empire. He was Irish.

Not only Irish Americans celebrate this day (many don't just for the record), many people from different background celebrate this day also.

Not sure why celebrating this day is so controversial. The hell?
No one said it was controversial. In fact, its NOT controversial....whats causes controversy in America is when black folks celebrate things African or black in origin.

Old 03-17-2015, 08:55 AM

24,500 posts, read 17,239,538 times
My wife is from Ireland and she thinks it is stupid that for many St Patricks day in America is an excuse to drink up a storm.

There is or was a comparison between black and Irish folk back in the day when segregation was the mainstream.
There were actually signs that read "NO Blacks Or Irish" I guess they didn't like blacks and thought the Irish were a bunch of drunks ready for a fight.

We have seen racist T shirts in front windows of shops, there is one in particular where the caption reads "Irish Yoga" and there is a bunch of people passed out drunk in weird positons. Imagine the same type of T shirt assault on the common decency of black people if a shirt depicted a grinning black faced individual smacking his lips while downing chicken and watermelon. OUTRAGE would ensue.
Perhaps the difference is Irish people have a sense of humour? Either way it is not right to poke fun at a peoples negative traits.

Old 03-17-2015, 08:56 AM

15,638 posts, read 10,393,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Indentured Servant View Post
lol....semantics....lol. How else am I supposed to comprehend language if not rules of semantics?

So....it's all about "what you can get out of it"? Because others believe that they cannot get anything out of black history month.....they should ridicule and condemn it? You are making your rationale sound very selfish.
I disagree, IS. Your OP and subsequent assertions come across as overly dramatic, antagonistic, and not a little pitiful. It must be wearing to walk around with such a huge chip on your shoulder.

Old 03-17-2015, 08:57 AM

39,228 posts, read 27,611,062 times
man, learning the history of St Patrick's day and rich Irish history is more productive.

Old 03-17-2015, 09:00 AM

7,413 posts, read 6,230,000 times
Because the day celebrates liquor and drunkeness!

Old 03-17-2015, 09:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by texan2yankee View Post
I disagree, IS. Your OP and subsequent assertions come across as overly dramatic, antagonistic, and a not a little pitiful. It must be wearing to walk around with such a huge chip on your shoulder.
That may be true....but that is not proof that the problem is with the transmitter....as opposed to the receiver. I can send a clear signal.....but if your receiver is screwed up the transmission will come across screwed up. You cannot point to any single term in the transmission that implies what you suggest.....yet, when you receive it you interpret it differently. That says to me that the problem is in the receiver.

Old 03-17-2015, 09:10 AM

7,814 posts, read 6,393,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Packard fan View Post
There was def "Irish" slavery in Barbados and a few other islands.

Redlegs - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

"Many of the Redleg's ancestors were forcibly transported by Oliver Cromwell consequent to his subjugation of Ireland.[2] Others had originally arrived on Barbados in the early to mid 17th century as slaves or indentured servants. Small groups of Germans and Portuguese were also imported as plantation labourers. Many were described as "white slaves"."

I don't think many slave owners had Irish last names, it was more an "English" thing. Hell; most of the few slavers with Italian, maybe Spanish and so on last names started out in England but had a male ancestor with that kind of Latin name.
I am one of the descendants of these Irish slaves that were sent to St. Kitts. Never knew they were called Redlegs, though but I guess the name makes sense since we burn so easily.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies