Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-18-2015, 03:08 AM

20,524 posts, read 15,921,704 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cape Cod Todd View Post
My wife is from Ireland and she thinks it is stupid that for many St Patricks day in America is an excuse to drink up a storm.

There is or was a comparison between black and Irish folk back in the day when segregation was the mainstream.
There were actually signs that read "NO Blacks Or Irish" I guess they didn't like blacks and thought the Irish were a bunch of drunks ready for a fight.

We have seen racist T shirts in front windows of shops, there is one in particular where the caption reads "Irish Yoga" and there is a bunch of people passed out drunk in weird positons. Imagine the same type of T shirt assault on the common decency of black people if a shirt depicted a grinning black faced individual smacking his lips while downing chicken and watermelon. OUTRAGE would ensue.
Perhaps the difference is Irish people have a sense of humour? Either way it is not right to poke fun at a peoples negative traits.
It could me something else here: on St Paddy's day: MOST of us; of Irish family or not, poke fun at each other. Many of us of Irish family DON'T drink and think the Irish Yoga pics are a hoot! Back to having a drinking problem: the ugly trust IS that alcoholism is over 20 times more common with Irish people than Jews. I saw that in 1 of Thomas Sowell's books.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2015, 03:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2e1m5a View Post
There are more egregious insults and "paddy wagon" is an improper/slang description.

Home - IRISH ANTI-DEFAMATION FEDERATION
Is that web page for real or a big fat joke? I ain't real sure.

Old 03-18-2015, 04:49 AM

9,011 posts, read 13,854,349 times
simple.......the Irish are still white.

They can say that the Irish were worse off than blacks but we know that is a lie.

The Irish did not have to worry about being lynched.

The Irish were NOT slaves.

The Irish could not be raped at any time.

The Irish did not have to march in the 60's,and have another amendment so they could vote.

Old 03-18-2015, 04:52 AM

20,948 posts, read 19,070,442 times
It's one day.

Old 03-18-2015, 04:59 AM

12,867 posts, read 14,928,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texan2yankee View Post
Everyone wants to be a little bit Irish on St. Patrick's Day.
I know i do.

I wasn't wearing green, and the girl at the bank gave me some green beads so i wouldn't get pinched.

I didn't even know about that custom!

Old 03-18-2015, 06:28 AM

37,803 posts, read 41,056,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
I like it!

In a way though I think calling something 'Black History' lessens its importance. As a small example, take the Tuskegee Airmen. While the racism of the military during the war isn't anything to be proud of it is part of American history and shouldn't be glossed over, nor should the actions of groups like the Tuskegee group and the 761st Tank Battalion at the Battle of the Bulge be relegated to 'Black History', they're part of American history and their actions and courage under fire should be celebrated.
All I can say is the history of black music in the USA is enough to make an all day celebration great. Can you imagine parades all over the country tied into street fairs with black musical acts going back decades performing on stages on different city blocks based on music type? I hate going to big cities but the stage with performers from the 50s and 60s in rock and roll...I'd be there. Then there is blues and gospel, something for everyone. Plus, the black small businessmen and women selling food on the street could make a lot of money. I think the idea of that type of celebrating might even have a lot of TV coverage not just a 5 minute segment on some news show.

Old 03-18-2015, 06:31 AM

13,806 posts, read 9,720,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
All I can say is the history of black music in the USA is enough to make an all day celebration great. Can you imagine parades all over the country tied into street fairs with black musical acts going back decades performing on stages on different city blocks based on music type? I hate going to big cities but the stage with performers from the 50s and 60s in rock and roll...I'd be there. Then there is blues and gospel, something for everyone. Plus, the black small businessmen and women selling food on the street could make a lot of money. I think the idea of that type of celebrating might even have a lot of TV coverage not just a 5 minute segment on some news show.
Great....lets get is started

Old 03-18-2015, 06:38 AM

59,199 posts, read 27,403,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Indentured Servant View Post
African Americans have to defend the celebration of black history month or anything "African", yet, why do the Irish in America get their "Irish" day so widely accepted? Whatever happened to just being "American"...when it comes to the Irish.
"African Americans have to defend the celebration of black history month" I DON'T agree with your premise.

"Whatever happened to just being "American"... Try dropping African-American and be called American.

Old 03-18-2015, 06:47 AM

5,821 posts, read 5,308,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Indentured Servant View Post
African Americans have to defend the celebration of black history month or anything "African", yet, why do the Irish in America get their "Irish" day so widely accepted? Whatever happened to just being "American"...when it comes to the Irish.
Hey, it's only a day, 24 hours. Black history month is 28 DAYS, 672 hours. The Irish have a great deal of history to be crammed into a single day.

According to Wikipedia, there has been 22 American presidents, who claim to be of Irish descent. That’s half of all US Presidents! President Obama, who in fact does have an Irish connection, is the 44th US President and claims Irish ancestry through Falmouth Kearney, the son of a shoemaker, born in Moneygall, County Offaly.

Old 03-18-2015, 07:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerseygal4u View Post
simple.......the Irish are still white.

They can say that the Irish were worse off than blacks but we know that is a lie.

The Irish did not have to worry about being lynched.

The Irish were NOT slaves.

The Irish could not be raped at any time.

The Irish did not have to march in the 60's,and have another amendment so they could vote.
In 2015 you're right.

Back in the day us "Irish" ranked below even "free persons of color". Hell; according to Thomas Sowell; the slave owners would hire Irish to do the really dangerous work because it was cheaper to pay off the widows if some got killed, Black slaves were too much money to replace, if new ones could even be found.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies