Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-19-2015, 11:56 AM

4,911 posts, read 3,433,961 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ace_TX View Post
noone apologizes for being stupid.

anyways, it just anooys me when someone on tv says what they really feel and then the corporate powers that be step in and forces them to apologize for having a real opinion

then they have to parrot the pc bullshhh in order to keep the paycheck coming in

just no authenticity, everyone is controlled
So now it's "pc bullshhh" to state, correctly, that the Democrats controlled the Senate in 1964?

Old 03-19-2015, 11:59 AM

4,911 posts, read 3,433,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by louie0406 View Post
"Poor people have been voting democrat for 50 years, and they're still poor." .....

-Charles Barkley
So they should vote for the people who despise them?

Old 03-19-2015, 12:02 PM

4,765 posts, read 3,737,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vector1 View Post

He is not a liar, look it up. Some (D's) did vote for it, but it took a lot of arm twisting by LBJ to get it done. He was a master at it.
LBJ had more resistance to it from his own party than by the (R's). This is a fact, but you will likely need to go to another source other than Wiki or Snopes to discover it.

`
Yes, conservatives were on the forefront of the civil rights movement. Marching arm in arm with Dr King and applauding Rosa parks!

Really? Another source? Perhaps, a right wing revisionist source?

Now, Snopes and Wikipedia are biased?

Old 03-19-2015, 12:06 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,241,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
Smith is making the same general point that I've made here in the past.

The difference is that I apply the concept to a number of "captive" voting blocs that are generally taken for granted by the party in question or at least not given the representation that they warrant.

I also state that alternatives include not voting or protest voting 3rd party instead of voting for the the other major party.

Anyone that thinks that the black vote is not taken for granted and thus underserved is IMO delusional.

You need look no further than the fight over the flexible latino vote and all that is done to court it by both parties.
All voting blocs are taken for granted.

Have you seen an upswing in white rural males voting for Democrats? How about white suburbanites? White southerners? Texans? Idahoans? Folks in Wyoming? Oklahoma?

The GOP knows they will win these groups come hell or high water no matter how ineffective they are. Those votes are no less reliable for the GOP than blacks are for Democrats.

So really....I think folks should just leave us be and let us make up our own minds about whom we choose to vote for.

Old 03-19-2015, 12:34 PM

78,518 posts, read 60,702,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post

Have you seen an upswing in white rural males voting for Democrats? How about white suburbanites? White southerners? Texans? Idahoans? Folks in Wyoming? Oklahoma?

The GOP knows they will win these groups come hell or high water no matter how ineffective they are. Those votes are no less reliable for the GOP than blacks are for Democrats.

So really....I think folks should just leave us be and let us make up our own minds about whom we choose to vote for.
No. Not all voting blocs are taken for granted. Some punch above their weight.

Examples: AARP and the NRA or how about Florida's Cuban Americans which I'm sure you can appreciate have an extreme impact solely due to swing-state politics on our relations with Cuba. Hell, they were way more than the difference between Gore and Bush in 2000.

I'm not telling anybody WHOM to vote for but just pointing out the obvious that some voting blocs are taken more for granted than others.

P.S. Some of your "white rural" voters actually did shift parties if you look at the Senate seats that were lost\gained in some key states.

Old 03-19-2015, 12:42 PM

78,518 posts, read 60,702,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post

Have you seen an upswing in white rural males voting for Democrats?
Here is an example....

United States Senate election in South Dakota, 1998 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

United States Senate election in South Dakota, 2004 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 03-19-2015, 01:12 PM

4,783 posts, read 3,305,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shaker281 View Post
"Charles Barkley's been voting Republican for 30 years, and we still don't trust him" - The GOP
That is not actually true. Charles through his own admission has primarily voted Democrat but has said he may vote Repub in 2016.

Charles Barkley: I Might Vote For GOP In 2016 | The Daily Caller

Old 03-19-2015, 01:17 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,241,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldogdad View Post
You just hate them Uncle Toms don't cha.
Yep. With a passion.

Got a problem with that?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
No. Not all voting blocs are taken for granted. Some punch above their weight.

Examples: AARP and the NRA or how about Florida's Cuban Americans which I'm sure you can appreciate have an extreme impact solely due to swing-state politics on our relations with Cuba. Hell, they were way more than the difference between Gore and Bush in 2000.

I'm not telling anybody WHOM to vote for but just pointing out the obvious that some voting blocs are taken more for granted than others.

P.S. Some of your "white rural" voters actually did shift parties if you look at the Senate seats that were lost\gained in some key states.
The AARP is scary because they're made up of people who vote religiously. That's not the same as a racial voting bloc. I don't even know who most AARP members vote for. I just know that their endorsement is coveted.

The NRA may punch above their weight, but it's almost always for Republicans on the national level. They are an extremely reliable bloc for the Republican Party.

White rural voters, especially in the South, are RELIABLY conservative and Republicans can count on their votes almost to a man.

Cuban Americans are RELIABLE Republican voters too. Again, their situation can't be compared to blacks because their population in concentrated in two states, and their experience with communism, Castro, and exile status makes their situation totally anomalous.

The fact that African Americans are very disparate and STILL manages to vote mostly for one party says more about the Republican Party than it does about some nonsense over whether or not our vote is taken for granted.

If blacks in all four corners of the country see the Democrats as the only alternative despite having no ties to each other, maybe Republicans should figure out why that is. Because it's DAMN SURE not some flaw on the part of black people.

Blacks vote for Democrats because they think it's in their interest to do so. No other explanation is warranted.

Old 03-19-2015, 01:40 PM

4,412 posts, read 3,963,388 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 14Bricks View Post
First of all that's false, second of all White people don't vote for republicans as one monolitic block either. Good job at totally missing the point.
It absolutely is true. Take an electoral map and overlay it with a map of poverty and one of race and you will see that white poor rural communities are overwhelmingly vote Republican.

There is no monolithic white voting block simply because whites are the overwhelming group - if you felt so inclined to separate by race. Factor in poverty, especially in the South and Appalachia and there is definitely a block that has been majority Republican since Reagan.

Old 03-19-2015, 02:18 PM

59,199 posts, read 27,388,280 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shaker281 View Post
So, Stephen A. Smith is taking a page from Johnson's book then?
You arr free to make whatever assumption you wish.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies