Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-25-2015, 12:24 PM

13,305 posts, read 7,875,111 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hyperthetic View Post
These days it's used as a silencing mechanism.
The costs of non-lethal silence can be horrendous.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rudolf...Spandau_Prison
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-25-2015, 01:17 PM

34,279 posts, read 19,388,318 times
The death penalty in my opinion is appropriate in this case due to the overwhelming evidence that these people committed a crime that warrants it.

But I have always felt that the death penalty should require a very high burden of proof in order to avoid executing innocent people.

Old 03-25-2015, 01:33 PM

14,483 posts, read 11,291,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluesjuke View Post
Yes, Firing Squad as a backup method.

This murderer deserves "slow fire".

Martin Richard;
"He was 8 years old"
His little sister Jane is right next to him in the green jacket. She lost her leg.

Here's family update page:

Richard Family Updates

Btw, from the few people that I have talked to here in Boston, they would prefer to see him in the general population of a federal prison for the next 70 years rather than become the martyr that he envisioned for himself.

It has nothing to do with Euro-compassion.

Old 03-25-2015, 01:37 PM

78,444 posts, read 60,652,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kool hand luke View Post
I'm for the death penalty IF it's enforced without endless delays. As it currently stands, it's ridiculous.
A valid point.

In my example I would think fairly prompt appeal and then execution would not be unreasonable given that you could not merit the charge off flimsy evidence or crappy eye witness testimony. It would have to be cases like the Boston bomber, Gacy (30+ bodies under his house) and so forth.

Additionally, the person would have had the opportunity for life no parole but chose not to accept it.

After all that, if we wind up executing the person then I don't see a major issue.

Old 03-25-2015, 01:39 PM

78,444 posts, read 60,652,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greywar View Post
The death penalty in my opinion is appropriate in this case due to the overwhelming evidence that these people committed a crime that warrants it.

But I have always felt that the death penalty should require a very high burden of proof in order to avoid executing innocent people.
Exactly this.

I don't want anyone executed unfairly, nobody does.

However, when you catch killers etc. and all you have to threaten them with is life no parole....you have lost an important bargaining chip. (See Green River killer)

Old 03-25-2015, 01:53 PM

12,287 posts, read 9,827,388 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by what1200 View Post
The death penalty is a barbaric act of revenge with no place in civilized society. I will never understand why anyone would want to give the government the power to engage in the premeditated murder of its own citizens.
The government isn't the one deciding if someone should get the death penalty. The people are.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies