Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-24-2015, 09:24 PM

21,989 posts, read 15,716,760 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMoreYouKnow View Post
Every state pays taxes.
Yes, they do. The blue states just pay more than they get back.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2015, 09:24 PM

18,665 posts, read 19,972,963 times
Cutting out pork would result from linking folks taxes to states receiving money. That would lead them to fight against the pork of their own state.

Old 03-24-2015, 09:25 PM

14,888 posts, read 10,037,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seacove View Post
Or they could just send my state money now. I'm sure we could use a couple of new ferries.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BE5q77x6IZI
Why should poor states buy a ferry for a rich state full of rich tax payers? Buy your own ferries, it shouldn't be hard for your blue state.

Old 03-24-2015, 09:26 PM

3,617 posts, read 3,884,771 times
Quote:
I don't know that Taxpayers vote more Republican since I'm a taxpayer and Washington State pays taxes and California and New York and Massachusetts, all expensive states and all pay taxes yet vote blue. And as we know, those on welfare vote far less. They just don't vote as much.
I could for, what, the fourth? fifth? time in this thread link you actual data demonstrating the facts or explain either how the logic behind the actual phenomenon works or why your hypothesis doesn't, but eh, I'm done. You're wrong on both here btw: feel free to google the data if you want to educate yourself on party voting trends of income tax payers, and especially payers by bracket, and re-read the thread if you want to give some thought as to why the voting as much thing is logically flawed when talking about state-to-state comparisons because it will impact both of the states you are comparing, or if you're happy being intellectually incurious or arguing in bad faith, whichever it is, then rock on, I'm out.

Old 03-24-2015, 09:26 PM

Quote:
Yes, they do. The blue states just pay more than they get back.
Just like red states do.

Old 03-24-2015, 09:28 PM

549 posts, read 457,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobtn View Post
The simple solution that would be fair would be easy to enforce. Each states resident should have to prorate their taxable income by their states ratio (last 5 years) of fed $ rec'd/Fed income tax paid. So if your state got $1.25 per $ paid, and your taxable income was $40k, you pay on $50k. In a few years, all states ratios would be right around $1 to $1.
I have a simpler solution: stop federal transfer payments. Shut down the EPA, Education Department, Medicaid and welfare. Reduce federal income tax and let the states directly tax their residents to care for their education, environments and poor.

Old 03-24-2015, 09:30 PM

Quote:
Why should poor states buy a ferry for a rich state full of rich tax payers? Buy your own ferries, it shouldn't be hard for your blue state.
Hey Bob had a proposal that would take years to make equal. I say just give us money now. We don't need a ferry that I know of but hey, always nice to have. Or, hey, the floating bridge! That's it, send us money for the floating bridge and we'll try to forget all those years you took our money.

Old 03-24-2015, 09:32 PM

Quote:
Hey Bob had a proposal that would take years to make equal. I say just give us money now. We don't need a ferry that I know of but hey, always nice to have. Or, hey, the floating bridge! That's it, send us money for the floating bridge and we'll try to forget all those years you took our money.
My red state pays more than we get back so look somewhere else for your welfare payments.

Old 03-24-2015, 09:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vvega View Post
I have a simpler solution: stop federal transfer payments. Shut down the EPA, Education Department, Medicaid and welfare. Reduce federal income tax and let the states directly tax their residents to care for their education, environments and poor.
I always thought that was mean but you know what, why not? Go ahead. But just FYI, a major percentage of those on Medicaid are elderly, many in nursing homes, so this could be tricky for the states.

Old 03-24-2015, 09:33 PM

Quote:
My red state pays more than we get back so look somewhere else for your welfare payments.
You must be Texas. Your punishment is living in...Texas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies