Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-31-2015, 03:33 PM

998 posts, read 665,261 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LordBalfor View Post
If you disagree with that assessment, explain why so many business are so quick to distance themselves from the law.
Business owners never wanted that law. Bigots wanted that law.

Ken
Probably because those businesses are savvy enough to realize that millions of Americans get their news from places like 'The Daily Show' or the noted legal scholar George Takei (and his Twitter feed), and will mindlessly take up arms to yell "Boycott!" or "bigot!" before understanding the facts, because it makes them feel good. Especially if they don't actually have to do anything other than "share" a post on their facebook timeline.

Why not try to appeal to these people? Many of them have money to spend, and they might as well try to attract them.

Why didn't these people boycott the other 19 states with RFRA legislation? I'm an athiest, but I appreciate that other people have deeply held religious convictions and I think it's awesome that they can run a business without the fear of being coerced into violating their principles. That's what makes this country great... freedom to practice your religion (or practice no religion) and engage in trade with anyone you desire.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-31-2015, 03:35 PM

89,026 posts, read 44,840,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fox Terrier View Post
If you really cared about gays being executed in foreign countries, you would have been banging the drum for quite a while.
What makes you think I haven't been? As if city-data is the only forum in which I participate.

I specifically addressed it in this topic because Tim Cook made his EGREGIOUSLY FALSE statement that Apple "will not tolerate discrimination" all the while Apple supports their products in countries that throw live homosexuals off of rooftops or behead them.

Quote:
Have you tried to bring it to the attention of posters here?
I am doing exactly that in this thread and look at the UGLY and HYPOCRITAL resistance to that information. But, oh noooo... refusing to make them a wedding cake is so much worse than executing them, according to liberals. Liberals should be VERY ashamed of themselves. Enjoy taking that smiling selfie with your iPhones while yet another homosexual is thrown off a roof or beheaded in the countries Apple serves. Hypocrites. In what kind of f*cked up mind is refusing to bake a cake worse and more worthy of condemnation than execution? Good grief, people.

No integrity. NONE.

Old 03-31-2015, 03:35 PM

24,260 posts, read 14,207,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellis Bell View Post
If I shop at a store that offers the rewards card, the market price for that item is considerably higher for those consumers that do not produce that card. Also, the rewards card is a marketing scheme using effective system so as to collect data to purchases which I believe is none of their business.

And you're right, no one is forcing me to have a reward card, nor are they forcing me to do business with stores the utilize them. Like I said, boycotted by me.

The couple walks out of the bakery and goes to the other bakery across town, or to Target bakery, as the gay couple has options, as well.

No harm, no foul.
Again you are not REFUSED service because you don't have a rewards card, you CHOOSE not to shop there.
The couple that is refused service based in their sexual orientation IS refused service, they have no choice in regards to shopping there or not.

Basically you are saying that since YOU can choose if you shop here or there, I should be ok with being denied shopping here but not there.

Old 03-31-2015, 03:37 PM

335 posts, read 424,144 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PuddingPops View Post
Why didn't these people boycott the other 19 states with RFRA legislation?.
The other states have LGBT as a protected class, so they are assured not to be discriminated. Indiana doesn't.

Old 03-31-2015, 03:38 PM

22,923 posts, read 15,489,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PoliticallyConscious View Post
How is standing up for freedom bigotry?
Standing up for freedom? Cripes. Any law proposed by bigots, supported by an endless list of readily identifiable bigots and used by bigots to DENY service to a readily identifiable minority contorted into being a defense of freedom is the stuff of the morally bankrupt.

6,141 posts, read 3,373,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PoliticallyConscious View Post
How is standing up for freedom bigotry?
Mainly because all those other states have in place a law to protect LGBT as well as other minority's that makes it illegal to discriminate...So maybe get your facts straight...That law that keeps getting referred to to protect ALL religions from Government overreach...Not protecting for profit business's on religious grounds to refuse their service to whomever they feel like by claiming "religious grounds"....

Now, why is Pence claiming nothing wrong with his brand of this law..then reassure there will be an amendment to it by end of week to clarify?. If it was perfect..why amendment necessary? It's because it was written so broad that any good lawyer could drive right through those loopholes in order to defend anyone being charged with refusal of services/discrimination.

13,422 posts, read 9,952,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
The irony here is that so many people are going nuts over bakeries, churches, and the like denying services when those services are clearly available elsewhere in the same communities. But execute homosexuals? They have no problem with that. It's disgusting, and the priorities here are totally f*cked up when people think a cake or a wedding officiant is a bigger problem than execution.
I'm sorry, but bull. Of course they have a problem with it.

To suggest otherwise is ridiculous and puts your posts into hysterical ranting hyperbole territory.

I recant that you have a point. You don't.

24,260 posts, read 14,207,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by godofthunder9010 View Post
Actually you're wrong there too. Polygamy is still illegal. Sure you have a bunch of tiny groups out in Utah -- whose great grandparents are probably excommunicated Mormons -- who are still doing the whole polygamy thing. The only reason that they're not being thrown in prison over it because nobody bothers. There are still federal laws against polygamy. There are still strict laws against cohabitation still on the books in Utah. The Feds back in the 1800's were quite thorough. The legal precedents, complete with the SCOTUS signing off on them, still exist. You could arrest all of them and confiscate all of their property and take all their children from them tomorrow. The government has the legal right to do so anytime they want. They even did something along those lines recently. The Supreme Court would have to reverse all those old rulings to change that fact.

As long as you have liberals arguing in favor of treating religions like businesses, you have an opening for the lawsuit that attempts to force some Catholic priest to marry a Catholic gay couple in an official Catholic wedding ceremony. And consider that the anti-Mormon crusades were pro-discrimination. Forcing a Catholic priest to marry a gay couple would be seen as anti-discriminatory. I expect that fact could provide the necessary driving force necessary to make it happen.
There is a group on TV right now with their own show that have a religious polygamist marriage. They are not in jail. It is not illegal for them to have a wedding in their yard declaring themselves married.

Old 03-31-2015, 03:39 PM

335 posts, read 424,144 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalbound12 View Post
A wedding cake is a "basic human right?"
America has a free market, not a restricted market.

Old 03-31-2015, 03:39 PM

20,460 posts, read 26,334,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PuddingPops View Post
Probably because those businesses are savvy enough to realize that millions of Americans get their news from places like 'The Daily Show' or the noted legal scholar George Takei (and his Twitter feed), and will mindlessly take up arms to yell "Boycott!" or "bigot!" before understanding the facts, because it makes them feel good. Especially if they don't actually have to do anything other than "share" a post on their facebook timeline.

Why not try to appeal to these people? Many of them have money to spend, and they might as well try to attract them.

Why didn't these people boycott the other 19 states with RFRA legislation? I'm an athiest, but I appreciate that other people have deeply held religious convictions and I think it's awesome that they can run a business without the fear of being coerced into violating their principles. That's what makes this country great... freedom to practice your religion (or practice no religion) and engage in trade with anyone you desire.
"Freedom" to engage in trade with anyone but gays?
"Freedom" to engage in trade with anyone but blacks?
"Freedom" to engage in trade with anyone but women?
"Freedom" to engage in trade with anyone but Jews?
Sorry, but "Freedom" to engage in trade comes with the RESPONSIBILITY to engage in trade with ANYONE - including people you may not approve of.

"Freedom" is not - and never was - the "Freedom" to do "whatever I want".

Ken
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies