Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-31-2015, 03:49 PM

89,060 posts, read 44,866,510 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by FinsterRufus View Post
I'm sorry, but bull. Of course they have a problem with it.
Then why do they buy/own Apple products? Why no boycott of Apple?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-31-2015, 03:54 PM

1,635 posts, read 1,814,799 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by siobhandem View Post
America has a free market, not a restricted market.
Quote:
Originally Posted by T0103E View Post
Should have a free market. If the government is involved in the market at all, it isn't a true free market.
This is not a free market
Quote:
Another fat “green” loan to an Obama connected company

...the Energy Department has announced a new fuel-efficient-vehicle loan—a $259 million conditional award to Alcoa. It’s a pretty sweet deal: The Energy Department touts on its website how this loan program “offers attractive financing for U.S. auto industry,” including no application fees, a closing fee of just 0.1 percent, and interest rates estimated at no more than 4 percent.

Of course, one might wonder why a company like Alcoa, which brought in $23.9 billion in revenue last year, needs government (read: taxpayer) help.

But it turns out Alcoa has major Obama administration ties.

Old 03-31-2015, 03:55 PM

998 posts, read 665,650 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LordBalfor View Post
"Freedom" to engage in trade with anyone but gays?
"Freedom" to engage in trade with anyone but blacks?
"Freedom" to engage in trade with anyone but women?
"Freedom" to engage in trade with anyone but Jews?
Sorry, but "Freedom" to engage in trade comes with the RESPONSIBILITY to engage in trade with ANYONE - including people you may not approve of.

"Freedom" is not - and never was - the "Freedom" to do "whatever I want".

Ken
So then why can't I go to Curves fitness center and sign up for a membership? Clearly they're infringing on my rights, since they have a "responsibility" to do business with me no matter what right? As you said above, people cannot be denied based on gender.

Old 03-31-2015, 03:56 PM

12,687 posts, read 6,739,500 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjrose View Post
There is a group on TV right now with their own show that have a religious polygamist marriage. They are not in jail. It is not illegal for them to have a wedding in their yard declaring themselves married.
Because nobody is bothering to prosecute. The laws haven't changed since the anti-Mormon Crusades. Everything is still in place for an all-out assault on any polygamist organization of any kind, especially if they are in Utah. How else do you think the following was even possible?

Like I said, it already happened before. It can happen again. And it's a lot easier to do it under the banner of anti-discrimination.

Frankly, I was shocked that the lawsuit against the Knapps wasn't just thrown out of court. Taking legal action against individuals refusing to perform a gay marriage is a very short hop away from prosecuting entire religions. Weren't the Knapps ordained ministers in the first place? Wouldn't that fact have protected them? Apparently it didn't.

Old 03-31-2015, 04:02 PM

20,460 posts, read 26,340,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PuddingPops View Post
So then why can't I go to Curves fitness center and sign up for a membership? Clearly they're infringing on my rights, since they have a "responsibility" to do business with me no matter what right? As you said above, people cannot be denied based on gender.
You SHOULD be able to do that. If you want to join Curves go ahead and sue them.

Ken

Old 03-31-2015, 04:03 PM

6,141 posts, read 3,375,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PuddingPops View Post

What does Membership only participating clubs, businesses i.e. Costco have NOTHING to do with this? NOTHING..Boy's club.who only allow card carrying members men only patronage..LEGAL..If you want to get the benefit of their "Club Only" benefits..Then all you have to is purchase a membership..Voila..free to shop your brains out..

Old 03-31-2015, 04:07 PM

24,260 posts, read 14,217,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by godofthunder9010 View Post
Because nobody is bothering to prosecute. The laws haven't changed since the anti-Mormon Crusades. Everything is still in place for an all-out assault on any polygamist organization of any kind, especially if they are in Utah. How else do you think the following was even possible?

Like I said, it already happened before. It can happen again. And it's a lot easier to do it under the banner of anti-discrimination.

Frankly, I was shocked that the lawsuit against the Knapps wasn't just thrown out of court. Taking legal action against individuals refusing to perform a gay marriage is a very short hop away from prosecuting entire religions. Weren't the Knapps ordained ministers in the first place? Wouldn't that fact have protected them? Apparently it didn't.
Twenty people living in the same house is not illegal. Neither is saying that you are married.

The Knapps were ministers, but they were operating a business.
A preacher that has a construction company is running a business, and has to follow the laws of operating a business.

The Knapps changed their business to a religious org, to get around the issue.

Old 03-31-2015, 04:13 PM

998 posts, read 665,650 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lyndarn View Post
What does Membership only participating clubs, businesses i.e. Costco have NOTHING to do with this?
I've read this line a couple times and it still doesn't make any sense. I guess you're saying that businesses such as Curves are free to discriminate because a membership is required? So liberals are OK with a business not selling a membership to people based on their gender/race/etc? How is that not totally hypocritical?

Old 03-31-2015, 04:22 PM

25,619 posts, read 36,717,554 times
Just remember. There is no Gay agenda.

Old 03-31-2015, 04:24 PM

4,540 posts, read 2,770,924 times
Oh no... even NASCAR has Librul Bias now!

Where will it end??
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies